Dewormer

Help Support CattleToday:

Jlsmith80

Reaction score
I am new to this bought some feeders this spring. They are pushing 900 pounds now I would guess. Couple of them have a little diarrhea they were dewormed when I got them was thinking of deworming them again. Problem is I do not have a way to use a pour on. I saw at rural king some dewormer pellets you mix with their feed. Are these effective?? Anybody use them??? Would giving it to them if they don't have worms hurt them??? Thanks for the help.

The dewormer pellets are probably more effective than the pour on. And if you are feeding each animal separate the dose should be easy. If feeding several together the most agressive will get More

If you don't have a way to use pour-on, you are in a self-made mess. You need to go to the store and buy 3 posts and 6 2X6's, two 3' gates and make some sort of chute to do either pour-on, vaccines, injectable wormer and necessary management. And how do you load animals if you have no way to use pour-on? At least you can get a $20 hand sprayer and dose them that way if all you have is a pen.

How many do you have ? Do you have any way to get them in a close area for pouring or shots?
I'm with Kenny in that putting wormer in them instead of on them is the most effective.
Keep in mind that runny manure could be something else beside worms.

Also depends on the parasites you're trying to kill. The safeguard pellets and other products are good for what they are labeled for but they don't cover some of what the pour on or injectables cover (and vice versa). Try to find out what is prevalent in your area and then you can figure out the best option

What you're calling diarrhea could just be lush new grass with high water content, though that would be pretty unusual for July depending on where you are. I find manure is more indicative of what they eat than it is worms in their gut. I agree with Kenny. I use Dectomax injectible and safeguard oral in the spring but that isn't an option for you so I'd try the pellets or blocks. I have 40 head trying to push each other out of the way for feed so I don't use that option.

https://www.drovers.com/article/cow-pieology-101-study-cow-pies

Hope this comes across as a link.

Latest posts