tubs vs cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

Is the liquid feed just a protein supplement or is there other value as well?

shaz":ijxc4ex0 said:
Is the liquid feed just a protein supplement or is there other value as well?

Protein supplement, the cows consume three to five pounds a day. Still have to have 27 lbs of something to fill them up. It is very popular in the area especially when hay is poor quality.
Lot of folks around here use it to force the cows to cleanup the pasture before they start putting out hay.

I have yet to see a liquid feed that could actually limit the consumption to what is advertised.

To really know the cost per lb of protein you have to factor in the bins, troughs, etc it takes to hold the feed, the transportation, the time it takes to put it out, check it, maintain it, any waste, so on and so on. Its not as simple as this bag costs $X and that tub costs $X.

Every tool has a job... there is no one that does it all.

Brute 23":2cmybtcx said:
I have yet to see a liquid feed that could actually limit the consumption to what is advertised.

To really know the cost per lb of protein you have to factor in the bins, troughs, etc it takes to hold the feed, the transportation, the time it takes to put it out, check it, maintain it, any waste, so on and so on. Its not as simple as this bag costs $X and that tub costs $X.

You need to checkout Westway then.

Brute 23":1yxd2i1q said:

Those expenses were written off the year they were incurred. As for time, we all have to be doing something.

Brute 23":30uxkz71 said:

That's what people can't get through their hard heads. The guy dumping his own corn in troughs out his back door has different needs than the guy hitting several pastures over a eighty mile loop.
Especially if you have another source of income you have to attend. And many of the cattle on rented ground. Sometimes troughs aren't practical. You feed them where you find them on your schedule and haul azz... Right now in this mud there is a huge waste dumping cubes out. Liquid feed can be a pain to move.
Range meal is good if the hogs don't eat it all. Tubs are expensive.....you gotta pick your posion.

This year we are blessed with good oats.
Which imo is ideal. Cheap enough and convenient once their up. But you can't count on it all the time.

callmefence":zco8mjpo said:
Brute 23":zco8mjpo said:

That's what people can't get through their hard heads. The guy dumping his own corn in troughs out his back door has different needs than the guy hitting several pastures over a eighty mile loop.
Especially if you have another source of income you have to attend. And many of the cattle on rented ground. Sometimes troughs aren't practical. You feed them where you find them on your schedule and haul azz... Right now in this mud there is a huge waste dumping cubes out. Liquid feed can be a pain to move.
Range meal is good if the hogs don't eat it all. Tubs are expensive.....you gotta pick your posion.

This year we are blessed with good oats.
Which imo is ideal. Cheap enough and convenient once their up. But you can't count on it all the time.

I agree 100%.

TexasBred":1yw1zd65 said:
Brute 23":1yw1zd65 said:

Those expenses were written off the year they were incurred. As for time, we all have to be doing something.

That sounds like a sales pitch from a feed sales man. The only people that benefit from a write off like that is the sales man and the feed company.

Caustic Burno":2iwnrval said:
Brute 23":2iwnrval said:

You need to checkout Westway then.

I will see where the closest dealer is.

Brute 23":jupo3p62 said:
TexasBred":jupo3p62 said:
Brute 23":jupo3p62 said:

That sounds like a sales pitch from a feed sales man. The only people that benefit from a write off like that is the sales man and the feed company.
Not at all. Just telling you that after the first year the items you mentioned are not an expense. Now if you work on one of course you can write that off as well ...hmmm...that credit reduced your tax some. ;-) One pitch tub and liquid feed folks make is that consumption is relative to the quality of the forage. They will limit intake if the forage is higher quality.

My Westway supplier provides the tank.
He calls every few weeks when out my way to see if I need any. There are half dozen guys within a couple miles tanks he services. I have no clue how many he is covering across a couple counties.
So there is no incured cost other than feed. At 289 a ton it's the cheapest supplement followed by range meal at 310 for the area.
Liquid is great if you have forage if not range meal if your trying to stretch hay or poor quality.
Neither are needed if quality and quantity Hay are available.

Latest posts