rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull":1tgwfi6q said:
I called a seed supplier and asked about annual ryegrass. They had it, but said it would die from winter kill here in SC KY. Any thoughts?
That's right funny. Rye is a cool season grass that will fade out around the first of June.

We grazed annual ryegrass that was still green here last Feb. for two and a half weeks when the high temp never got above 25. Cows loved it and since the ground was frozen, it didn't tear up the field. Worked out great for us.

Anyone ever try drilling this into grazed fescue pastures for winter? In Missouri.
Seems like if I were to try it, I would drill a little sooner.

rgv":3tq2f6i0 said:
Anyone ever try drilling this into grazed fescue pastures for winter? In Missouri.
Seems like if I were to try it, I would drill a little sooner.

Did it last year. The first ice storm hit it fairly hard, the second one killed it out completely.

Yeah -
You guys got smacked with alot worse ice than we did.
Do you think it would be worth it in a normal winter here.
Woops - I proably need to qualify that statement "Normal Winter"
Think you might try it again?

RGV

rgv":y0rgdo5h said:
Yeah -

RGV

Won;t try it again, too many dollars to waste on another experiment

used Passerel and Bulldog both last year to compare the two. both did excellent but the Passerel was easier to get for me this year so that is what we are using. mixed it with rye grain and it looks incredible. used an old grain drill to save some seed. the cows should be able to get on it by Thanksgiving, if we get one or two more rains.
going to be more strict on the limit grazing this year. the grass can handle the constant grazing but too much of the nutrient is lost through the cow. we will try and keep some for hay next spring.

dun":1y710z7o said:
rgv":1y710z7o said:
Yeah -

RGV

do you plant rye only in the fall?

rouxshortorn":3i9xrbd9 said:
dun":3i9xrbd9 said:
rgv":3i9xrbd9 said:
Yeah -

RGV

do you plant rye only in the fall?

We only planted it one year and that was a bust. Planting in the spring doesn;t work because in normal and semmi-normal years the fields are too wet to be driving on. Our fescue is really getting rolling in mid April so the best that the rye would do is move it up a couple of weeks at most. Easier to feed hay and it doesn;t cost as much for the expensive ryegrass seed.

TNMasterBeefProducer":dgtiii15 said:
I planted the passerel one year. Wasnt worth the bag it came in compared to Marshall's.

Yes, TN we planted the passeral plus.

Billy

Billy, thats over 9 rolls per acre. How tight are the rolls and what size. I haven't seen a coastal field put out that kind of yield. Unless the rolls are smaller. We're putting up a 60 inch roll to sell, about 65 inch for ourselves.

Latest posts