rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

rouxshortorn

Reaction score
what is the value of rye grass in the pasture and is it fast growing and does it take alot of fertilizer.Would it be good enough for bred cows and cow/calf. Should it be mixed or planted straight?

I used it for the first time last year. I love it. I planted it very heavy about 45 lb/ A. I did not graze it, but baled 176 round bales off of 18 acres in May. I am replanting again this year.

Billy

TnMaster - How long does it take for that Marshall grass to get to grazing height (assuming normal rainfall)?

I'm planning on planting about 30 acres or so. 15 for grazing 15 to cut for hay in the spring. Drought in the spring in Florida is changing how we are cutting hay. Have been debating to use the passerel plus or oats. Kinda leaning towards the passerel.

Sorry for all the questions, what kind of temps does Marshalls need? I think Passerel is more heat tolerant. Won't be as cold in Fl.

I've been googling Marshalls but can't find any dealers. Is it a Pennington product or somebody else?

Marshall was developed by my alma mater Mississippi State University - released in 1981. We can't play a lick of football but have some sharp farm boys up there at cow college. It's marketed by Wax Seed Company out of Amory, Mississippi, I think. Anyway, I've never used it but will try it this year. I keep hearing good things about it.

hgfarmer":pzaihfzi said:
tnmaster, what does a 50# bag cost at coop?

$24.75 here

Critter, where are you in Florida. It's easy to get Marshall, Jackson and Jumbo around here as well as a few others.

We have had good results with Marshall in the past, but are trying a variety called Big Daddy from Southern States this year.

I imagine you are too far south for Marshall. I'd call your local extension office for advice on the best varieties.

I don't if anyone gets FASTLINE but there's an ad Genetic seed & chemical advertising ryegrass and sungrazer 777 bermuda ,company is from Bonham,TX and was wondering if anyone has used this brand before?

I called a seed supplier and asked about annual ryegrass. They had it, but said it would die from winter kill here in SC KY. Any thoughts?