Round 2 Ike

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad to say we had an additional 6/10ths of rain thru the night so our total is at 1 6/10ths. Greatfull for what we got. I thought the area came thru pretty much unscathed until a friend stopped by early this morning. He had just gotten off work and was going to his mothers to empty her freezer. He said she didn't have power. :?: :? :idea: Then I realized the town folks are on a different power grid. Entergy, power comes from Beaumont. My aunt said she has been without power since abou 7:30 am yesterday. Estimates given to restore power are 2-3 days to 3 weeks. Goes to show their are a lot more people affected by the storm than just the ones that had to endure it.

Kudo's to Bryan Utilities, although I understand their were some outages in the Bryan area, the first traffic light heading out of Caldwell going east (end of the line) was working this morning.

Shout out for Blubonnet Electric also. Saw a convoy of their trucks headed east just after noon.

Check this link for Entergy customers have power disruptions.
http://www.entergy-texas.com/outages/tx.aspx

We got our present from Ike today . All wind, no rain, trees down , power off to 700,000 people, shingles, metal roofing, siding eveywhere . My cousin was putting up a new 60x200 cattle barn, they had the trusses on and the purlins on, it snapped the 6x6 poles and looks like it broke every truss, just a pile of wood .Fortunately, I have not heard of any injuries, although I'm sure there are some .I only lost a couple of machine shed doors and some roofing.

I can only imagine the loss that some of you have suffered, my prayers are with you .

Larry

Ditto for SE Indiana. 75-80 mph winds. Just a sprinkle of rain.
I lost an old barn, tarps of my hay stacks, several sheets of roofing/siding off another barn, many trees.
I can't quite understand how my internet is working this morning.
I have electricity, most of my neighbors don't. Some have trees in their living rooms.
Our utility, Duke, sent crews to Louisiana. Now they are bringing in crews from the Carolinas.
I'm 58, and this was my first hurricane. Once is enough.

I hope all is well, or as good as can be expected from the storms.

I have heard upwards of 4 million without power. The co hubby works for, was setting schedule for assistance from WI and MN on Friday. Hubby volunteered, but was too high on OT. The first round is heading out this morning for two weeks, then if more assistance is needed, they will send a second round of workers. WI sent 6 crews, not sure how many crews from MN. I sure hope they can get everyone on in a timely manner. Being without juice just sucks.

Good Luck everyone!

Michele

6/10 of an inch rain and some wind gusts here.

Worst problems were traffic and everyone buying up gasoline. The maw and paw station I buy at has been out since Friday. Shipments didn't come. They have diesel and that is what I buy anyway. No price changes that I can see.

We got 1 1/2 inches of rain with 30-50 mph winds. No major damage - a few sheets of tin loose. A good thing: it knocked down a lot of the widowmakers (dun's term) still hangin' in the trees from the ice storms the last two winters.

Caustic Burno":31jekmcf said:
We got hammered by Ike not a fence standing, and I got off lucky tornadoes took out of a lot peoples stuff.

The news showed a bunch of cows running loose. It kind of reminded me of the brush fires here when we rounded up a bunch of livestock and fed them for a few days on my place.

I hope you get a fenced pasture together soon and round up everything. Then you can breath and get things done (put back) the way they ought to be.

larryshoat":17dixobt said:
We got our present from Ike today . All wind, no rain, trees down , power off to 700,000 people, shingles, metal roofing, siding eveywhere . My cousin was putting up a new 60x200 cattle barn, they had the trusses on and the purlins on, it snapped the 6x6 poles and looks like it broke every truss, just a pile of wood .Fortunately, I have not heard of any injuries, although I'm sure there are some .I only lost a couple of machine shed doors and some roofing.

I can only imagine the loss that some of you have suffered, my prayers are with you .

Larry

I was watching the Titans play the Bengals on Sunday. The wind was blowing so hard the guys holding the yardage sticks were hanging on for dear life! It was almost blowing players over if they got a little out of balance. The kicking game was real interesting.

Well,
We let the trailer at around 2:00 pm...we had a MOTEL RESERVED in Winnie just to get out of the trailer. Had a 5 1/2 month old embryo calf in trailer & the dogs. went to motel & they had evacuated & no one notified us & we slept in the seat of the trucks for the storm. Left the trailer & calf at 11:00 & spent 3 hrs. getting 6 miles to the land & trailer house. Trailer house gone!!! 2001 mustang under water, over 4 ft. water still in my 20ft. container, helped 2 Chamber county officers rescue the constable out of the attice of his house about 2 mi. south of my house. White's ranch had 6000 hd. still in marsh when storm hit...last I heard the had found 14 head....cattle are everywhere by the hundreds...will try to up date as we get time!!!

Had 45 mph winds and about 2-1/2" of rain at my place. Trees and limbs down. I've got quite a few trees on fences, but it is nothing that can't be fixed. We were sitting pretty with our generator and power was back on fairly quickly. Many folks in our community are still without power. My girls got a pass from school today, which they enjoyed. Most schools were shut down. My prayers are with the folks further south that were hit so much harder than we were.

Power finally came back on about 2 hours ago. Many trees down, sheds blew away, roof damage to 3 chicken houses, and hay barn wall caved in. The roof blew of our cab of the Kabota, found it 1/4 mile away. No one was hurt, and that's what matters most.
A good friend's house burned down, just after their power came up...left the stove on when the power went off. They had gone to get something to eat, and came back to find the VFD fighting the fire. Who would think we would have a hurricane in Arkansas! Being a farmer sure has advantages city folk don't have, like generators, fuel tanks and tractors. Our well ran just fine. We used the 10K watt welding machine to power the house. Lost some fence, but not bad and found it, before the cows did.

HOSS":2b752myv said:
larryshoat":2b752myv said:

Larry

I was watching the Titans play the Bengals on Sunday. The wind was blowing so hard the guys holding the yardage sticks were hanging on for dear life! It was almost blowing players over if they got a little out of balance. The kicking game was real interesting.

Hey Hoss, I guess Cincinati didn't think of that excuse, "we're just not a good hurricane team" :help: .

Larry

fourstates":1jagyjn6 said:
Good trees down, widowmakers still standing!!!

Yeah, kind of weird, it will take down a good tree and leave some old snag standing .

Larry

Fourstates, glad y'all are alright (for the most part). Is your power supplied by Entergy or another company?

REA Swepco did an outstanding job!!! I never thought I would sing the praises of a power company. Literally miles of down power lines. They had contractors out cutting trees in the wee hours after the storm blew through. This is piney woods country, too, as is most of SE Texas. What was scary to us, is our chickens are five weeks old. Chicken farmers will understand how vulnerable they are at that age. If our houses lost their ability to "tunnel", we would have 1/2 million pounds of dead chickens. We lost tin, but the stuctures held the pressure. We sure ran through the deisel.

Kind of an eyeopener. My parents used to raise a few thousand turkeys back when you could make good money on just a few thousand birds.

fourstates":bsilzprr said:
Good trees down, widowmakers still standing!!!

Exactly.

We Survived. Cell coverage has been poor, but it is getting better. Infrastustructure coming back to life. I have several tress down, as do other people at my house near Tomball. Ranch near Trinity did not get hit as hard, a few trees and none fell on fences. Trailer ok. 5 inches in total rain at rain, I'd say at least 2-3 more at Tomball.

Biggest problem right now power and long LONG gas lines....everywhere. It's going to take time. I got my Miller Bobcat welder back from another person yesterday, it is also a generater, so we now have power for a few hours a day. It was too late to save any of the food in two frigs, and two freezers. They are saying we will be without power for two weeks. I also brought back my tractor....several person needing the use of it.

It seems the winds was enough to snap trees and power poles etc....but just short of getting to the buildings....in this area. It's worst as you go towards the coast. I've have generator running right now, and seeing TV first time since the storm. In one hour it goes off....and chainsaw work is going to start today. Prior to this I was checking ranch and getting resources at hand.

backhoeboogie":1q52qq1m said:
Caustic Burno":1q52qq1m said:
We got hammered by Ike not a fence standing, and I got off lucky tornadoes took out of a lot peoples stuff.

The news showed a bunch of cows running loose. It kind of reminded me of the brush fires here when we rounded up a bunch of livestock and fed them for a few days on my place.

I hope you get a fenced pasture together soon and round up everything. Then you can breath and get things done (put back) the way they ought to be.

Got one pasture fence up good enough to contain cows, three more to go. Dang cows are as wild as turkey's scared of everything that moves. Finally got them in the pasture this morning after they had calmed down.

Latest posts