Riverbend Ranch Bull Sale "Saturday at 11:00"

Help Support CattleToday:

Absolutely not! They showed the entire hoof, and the bulls walking out; no one short stopping their stride and turning them around in corners to cover up limps or bad structure. Great sale! I saw quite a few that I would have bid on.

AllForage":trl82odb said:
If you were buying, wouldn't you consider it risky to bring Idaho bulls into fescue?

Probably not as risky as going to altitude with low country bulls. Fescue can be accounted for in some ways. Altitude is a constant.

3way, are you saying that there is a problem taking a bull out of high altitudes down to a low altitude? I didn't realize this. I did realize that you could run into major problems taking low altitude to high. I am about 300 ft above sea level.

I block AllForage, so I do not see what he writes, but very little of my pasture is fescue. I do see a bit of the Orchard Grass showing back up and bermuda grass is below it. It is 90% Durana clover, which provides a higher magnesium level it helps outweigh the fescue. The cattle will let the fescue head as the clover is their choice of forage.
Last year, I was without a tractor for a bit of time, then I had cutter problems, and my pastures needed mowing. The spots of fescue started heading, and the cattle just grazed around it and ate the clover.
As I rotate the pastures, when it is time to move them, the grasses will show, but they still avoid it. The fescue shows up when it becomes really cold, and I am providing a bit of feed. I have them add extra magnesium because of the fescue. But also provide a very good mineral at all times. I provide a source of Rumensin and dry hay to prevent bloat, and have never lost a cow in the clover. They eat very little of the dry hay that I provide, but will munch on it occasionally if they feel a little gas coming on as it is much like a "Tums" to them. I keep a close eye on them at all times.

The main thing, is not to hold them off of it as it begins to grow taller. Let them stay on it as it comes up and let them slowly work it into their system.

Here is one of the many articles that I have found on Rumensin and clover. I have had my cattle on clover and it does work, and it really puts the weight on the calves. This study is a part from Texas A & M. http://wisecountyagrilife.blogspot.com/2012/02/pasture-bloat.html

Ionophore feed additives may also aid in bloat prevention. Microbial gas production in the rumen is reduced by ionophore consumption. Studies on irrigated wheat in New Mexico demonstrated that Rumensin dramatically reduced the incidence and severity of bloat. Ionophores can be delivered in blocks, mineral supplements, pelleted supplements and mixed feeds. As noted with poloxalene, these feed additives will not totally eliminate bloat. In addition to aiding with bloat prevention, the ionophores will improve daily weight gain.

There are more studies to prove that Rumensin greatly reduced bloat in cattle. So much research to read.

I will make use of my Vaughn's hay field field this summer to increase my herd. All of the cattle are at the other farm, and I want to increase my everyday "hands-on" cattle numbers to increase.
It will cost me the same amount to fertilize the hay each cutting, and have it baled, (not including the use of the land) as it does to purchase it. The hay that I can purchase is Vaughn's coming from a watered lagoon pond field.

I feel that I will have to keep a separate group on the bermuda field as the clover, as throwing one from the grass to the clover could cause trouble.

What i meant was you probaly have a decent chance of getting cattle used to fescue. You have little or no chance of getting them used to altitude if they have a high PAP score. They just die/ either when they hit around 1100lbs or if something else attacks their immune system brisket disease will manifest itself.

Conversely if an animal is afflicted with brisket disease then can be hauled downhill and recover fairly quickly from it. Fescue poisoning takes years to reverse. I have a cow that was fescued in Missouri and it has taken her several years to get over it. This is the first spring that she has not limped for a monthe before and after delivering a calf.

River Bend has some mighty fine bulls... Frank Vandersloot has the money to put behind the breeding! His managers seem to do a really good job with the cattle. The Riverbend HQ is about a half hour south of me. Most of their cattle are run up in Island Park / Kilgore Idaho. Years ago he started out with PB Peidmontese, but switched to PB Angus and PB Charlois.

Latest posts