Restaurant bill ridiculous

Help Support CattleToday:

The lunch buffets can be pretty reasonable. Pizza Hut has lunch buffet for 5.99 and on Mondays, it is 4.99 when I stop there after the morning cow sale. They have pizza, a salad bar, and italian dishes and dessert and breadsticks. If you drink water, it is a pretty good feed for those prices. Mr Godfathers has a little better buffet for about a dollar more. The chinese buffets have come up in prices and are around 6.99 to 7.50 for lunch, some of them are real good, some are terrible. I have eaten at Cheddar's once and thought it was outstanding and reasonably priced. I intend to go back, but they always have a long line and they are a little unhandy to get to. I, also, wish we had a What-A-Burger around here. Or sure wish we had an In-n-Out burger. I love Arby's but seems pretty expensive. All the fast food restaurants charge like regular restaurants, anymore, except for the dollar menu. I love Mexican food, used to be cheap, but has come up alot. However, you can still get decent prices on the lunch combinations. Because of the travel I used to do, I have eaten out way too much. Over the last year, with my Mother in and out of the hospitals and rehabs so much, I have eaten out constantly, while being with her, daily. However, she has been home for the last 6 weeks, so I eat at home more while making her food, but also have trips to get cattle feed and Mom's medicines and errands and I will stop and get prepared food to bring home. Yes, high cattle prices can make things higher in the restaurants, but they were getting high even before cattle prices got high. As far as tipping goes, I leave 15 percent, except for outstanding service, then it is 20. And, like someone else said, I would rather have a waitress than a waiter, but I have never asked for one.

TennesseeTuxedo":39wpc4qv said:
dun":39wpc4qv said:
Inflation yah know!

Yes, but slow down just a little Mr. Rockefeller.
If the service sucks and is attributable to the waitress and not the kitchen, I leave the old standby. 1 penny, I don;t know about now days but that used to be the standard for informing the waitress that her service sucked.

Hero you got off light. For two couples I figure on $100 plus and a tip.

Another couple we would eat with on rare occasion ate with their in laws some days previously. The BIL paid, got mad about something and refused to leave a tip. After everyone left the man we know went back in and gave the waiter money. I figured that was their business and none of mine. I wasn't there.

The next time we ate with Mr. Highroller and his wife, I paid and added the tip to the bill. As we were about to leave he asked me how much tip I gave.
Say what? :mad:
I told him it was "adequate". Actually I think I am probably more than an adequate tipper.
When he pays, he doesn't give to give. He gives to impress.
I don't really need his company anymore.

The "supposed" separation of church and state was intended to limit gov't .....not churches.[/quote]

Exactly.

At the same time and for the same reasons, I don't think the government has the right to make "Blue laws".

Private business owners should be able to operate or not on Sundays, however they see fit. Same goes for the customers who patronize these businesses.

cow pollinater":2j1yxoyx said:
john250":2j1yxoyx said:
Dating a woman who has worked tables will teach a man to tip more than the minimum. She will watch and judge, for sure. And you'll hear about it at some point.
The true cost of the in home cook can't be analyzed until the judge tells you what it was.
:nod: I pushed that one to the limits but I've finally figured it out and was lucky enough to do so before a judge told me. Now when she asks me politely if I'd like to go to dinner, I either offer to make dinner myself or we go to dinner... no matter what my day was like. I don't bytch about the bill and I'm a big tipper unless SHE complains about the service. If she asks if I want ice-cream after dinner I make sure I want some dam ice cream too.

CP's got it right, keep momma happy. We generally tip 20% unless service is poor. We eat out maybe once a month other than the occassional fast food which is probably once a week. Everybody orders what they want and I usually get 2 high priced beers with the wife having a glass or wine or something. I enjoy a good meal out and the socializing that goes with it.

danl":30ovz3pc said:
We eat out about once/week, usually at a Mexican food restaurant or a burger place. Avg bill for the 2 of us at the Mexican place is around $20+tip. ("plant your corn early next year" normally suffices to cover the gratuity)
My wife and I do the same thing, other than the tip.. she loves Mexican and they seem to have better waiters than any other place. For the both of us it usually runs about $24 including tip I usually leave about $4.00. It helps that we have started just ordering water, caffeine keeps both of us up.
'You'd think a good mexican food restaurant restaurant would be one heck of a money maker. Just look at the ingredients they use. Beans, rice, tortillas, ground meat, lettuce and tomato and some cheese. With that you can make about every dish on the menu and none of it is really expensive.

We hardly ever eat out. Got tired of spending that much money on food that disappoints. Those chain restaurants, most of their food is shipped in, they just heat it up. Too much salt, too many artificial additives. And I don't even want to think about how much of their product is from China, especially seafood. Can't afford the "fine dining" places where a real, live chef actually prepares fresh ingredients to order, except for a special occasion, so we just cook at home and pack lunches.

Funny thing about the Blue Laws- They did not have a religious basis at least at first. It was a labor law. Industry often ran from before dawn to well after dark six day a week. Especially in the mining industries workers often went for months with out seeing the sun, except on Sunday when they would go to church, and then it was back to the mine. Social reform decided that there should be one day of rest, so the "Blue Laws dictated that one day a week industry and commerce would close down, Sunday was the logical day because most folks went to church anyway.
did not make much sense to me to make the stores close, except the Jewish establishments who were closed on Saturday anyway for their Sabbath.

Did not mean to upset some by saying that my husband and I eat out every Sunday. We eat at a local family restaurant that serves a delicious buffet lunch every day, but Saturday. Nothing fancy and no alcohol is served. Just a simple country lunch. Our bill for lunch, tea,and tip comes to $26.42.
We never eat at expensive restaurants and no fast food except Zaxby's once in a while.
For many years I prepared a Sunday meal before I went to church, often starting on Saturday. I have played the piano for over thirty years at my church. As I got older, I just could not fix a meal and get to church. Also for seven years my sister and I carried three meals a day to my mother. I still spend two hours every afternoon with her in assisted living.
I have worked all of my life, as did my parents. My husband has battled cancer for five years now. What we and my parents have worked and saved all these years will never be much good to us now, as we are not able to travel and above all cannot get away from responsibilities here.
We put our daughter through pharmacy school, six years at UGA, helped her with two residencies , one in Greenville, and the other in Cleveland, Ohio at Cleveland Clinic. She received small stipends so we continued to help her with expenses. She was blessed by earning scholarships each year which helped some, but it was still very expensive.
What I am trying to say is enjoy every day. The years get away too fast. If you enjoy eating out, go do it whenever you want to and don't worry about the bill. Believe me I have cut every corner I could through the years to save a dime. Now that I am in the autumn years of my life with winter not far away, I plan to enjoy every day that I can,and above all thank the Good Lord for all my blessings and each day that He gives me.

Williamsv":ltsd9ggz said:
Did not mean to upset some by saying that my husband and I eat out every Sunday. We eat at a local family restaurant that serves a delicious buffet lunch every day, but Saturday. Nothing fancy and no alcohol is served. Just a simple country lunch. Our bill for lunch, tea,and tip comes to $26.42.
We never eat at expensive restaurants and no fast food except Zaxby's once in a while.
For many years I prepared a Sunday meal before I went to church, often starting on Saturday. I have played the piano for over thirty years at my church. As I got older, I just could not fix a meal and get to church. Also for seven years my sister and I carried three meals a day to my mother. I still spend two hours every afternoon with her in assisted living.
I have worked all of my life, as did my parents. My husband has battled cancer for five years now. What we and my parents have worked and saved all these years will never be much good to us now, as we are not able to travel and above all cannot get away from responsibilities here.
We put our daughter through pharmacy school, six years at UGA, helped her with two residencies , one in Greenville, and the other in Cleveland, Ohio at Cleveland Clinic. She received small stipends so we continued to help her with expenses. She was blessed by earning scholarships each year which helped some, but it was still very expensive.
What I am trying to say is enjoy every day. The years get away too fast. If you enjoy eating out, go do it whenever you want to and don't worry about the bill. Believe me I have cut every corner I could through the years to save a dime. Now that I am in the autumn years of my life with winter not far away, I plan to enjoy every day that I can,and above all thank the Good Lord for all my blessings and each day that He gives me.

You don't owe anyone here an explanation. You sound like a wonderful person who knows what life is all about. I wish you the very best.

Williamsv":2irmvn92 said:

Was not trying to criticize you and the family by mentioning the blue laws. It was just something that I lived through the laws were in effect during the sixties here in Texas. They were repealed but I do not know when. Again was only posting for discussion on what it was then and what it is now. So my apologizes to you.

I thank you both for your kind words. Don't think I haven't thought about those blue laws. I believe our country would be better today if we still had them.
My message to all of you is to enjoy life while you can. I looked forward to retirement even though I loved teaching and never thought of retiring until I reached my 37 th year. I still taught two more years and went back and taught at risk students for a half day for three years. Before I finished my last year, my husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer. He went through chemo and then surgery in Atlanta. Thank God he is cancer free today. As soon as he got better, I had my mother to care for, until April 2013 when we had to put her in assisted living.
I know how expensive it is to eat out and I can understand how you feel, especially with large families. I see families of six and more coming in to eat every Sunday and wonder how they can afford it.
We Americans have been so blessed and have taken it for granted. All I see ahead for us is fear of another terrorist attack in our country. With a daughter and son-inlaw in New York City, you can imagine my fear. This is all another story, but yet another reason to live each day to its fullest and never worry about what you spend if it makes you and someone else happy.
I will get off my soapbox today. Apologize for running on. I tried to teach my third graders life lessons along with their basic courses. I was very surprised in 2013,when one of those third graders named me her Star Teacher because of those life lessons that had helped her so much. We never know how what we say and do influences that other person. So my message again to each of you is to enjoy life while you can,and try not to let the cost worry you as long as you live within your means.

Life is short even on its longest days.
I have been lucky, I have heart disease, recently had to have stents put in after bypass surgery 8 years ago. I have type 2 diabetes and am able to control my Blood Sugars well enough that I don't have a lot of problems with it. I went through prostate cancer with radiation and hormone treatments and did not lose anything I wasn't too old for anyway. I have a woman who loves me ( not sure why) and children and grandchildren who sustain me every day in the essential goodness of life.
Yes I intend to enjoy as much time as I have allotted on this world, and hope that I have not blow my chances n the hereafter.
The old song was, " St. Peter don't you call cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store." I have dogs and cows and horses who look to me for their room and board so I have to stick around. I don't begrudge anyone their time off, as long as the work gets done. Take a minute to smile, make cookies with the babies, sit in the pasture and watch the calves play. Do it now because there maybe a time when you won't be able to.
Life is short on its longest days. Make the most of it.

Williamsv and Judge Sharpe. I agree with you all.

Back to the subject. We eat out occasionally and when my husband and I are on the road, we eat out a lot. I am always happy to get home and not have to eat at a restaurant.
Our oldest daughter was a server during her college years and one of our sons worked at Chili's when he was in college too. He is still in the restaurant industry, he is a pastry chef for a 4 star restaurant. Because of them, I tip 20% for good service. Very often, part of the tip goes to the bus boy too. Times are hard for everyone and being a waitress is thankless job. If someone is working hard, and I can afford it, I don't have a problem helping another person make ends meet.
If any of you all do the household shopping at the grocery store, you know how expensive everything is becoming. It is scary. The price of toilet paper is ridiculous.

chippie":36nvqz5f said:
Williamsv and Judge Sharpe. I agree with you all.

Back to the subject. We eat out occasionally and when my husband and I are on the road, we eat out a lot. I am always happy to get home and not have to eat at a restaurant.
Our oldest daughter was a server during her college years and one of our sons worked at Chili's when he was in college too. He is still in the restaurant industry, he is a pastry chef for a 4 star restaurant. Because of them, I tip 20% for good service. Very often, part of the tip goes to the bus boy too. Times are hard for everyone and being a waitress is thankless job. If someone is working hard, and I can afford it, I don't have a problem helping another person make ends meet.
If any of you all do the household shopping at the grocery store, you know how expensive everything is becoming. It is scary. The price of toilet paper is ridiculous.

Chippie being a waitress may be a thankless job but considering the educational level it takes to be one it's one heck of a good paying job. $150 to $200 a night is not uncommon for a good waitress or waiter.
On the other hand there is no retirement program and if you do it right it's pretty hard work. I have worked in the restaurant industry for over 30 years and done a ton of server training over the years. Because of this I refuse to tip over %10 for average service. A good tip is earned it is not an entitlement.

I agree that a good tip is earned. My kids have friends who have college degrees (and our son has a college degree also) who are waiting tables and working in restaurants because it is tough to find a job.

We ate at a stuart andersons black angus and the service was terrible. Waitress was snotty, begrudgingly brought us our food, had to go back to the kitchen and get her to get our bill. At the bottom where it said gratuity I scratched that out and wrote TIP: Don;t bet on the ponys. Never went back

Even though tennesseetux thinks I need to get out more, eating out is something I actually enjoy on occasion. I like to go to a steakhouse when I'm not in a hurry, just take my time and enjoy the food and company; however, It just seems like it may get to be less and less for me at those prices. As someone mentioned, though, we shouldn't complain since we like the high cattle prices. I actually mentioned that to my kids when we ate the other night. I said we like those high prices when we sell our calves, but it sure shows up on the menu.

The only thing worse than a bad waitress, is a nasty bathroom when it comes to the restaurant business.

Latest posts