Restaurant bill ridiculous

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Four of us ate at Long Horn on Friday. Three got a small steak and one some chicken strips, and the bill was $78. :shock: It doesn't matter what we got, that's just ridiculous, but I know it's becoming the norm. How much longer can the average person afford to leave the house.

Had to kill some time around lunch the other day and went to a Longhorn myself. Didn't get much but it sure ate up a twenty dollar bill. I find myself going out to eat less and less with prices the way they are. Don't mind spending a little for good service and good food but what I got at Longhorn was neither.

herofan":1qsr6np3 said:
Four of us ate at Long Horn on Friday. Three got a small steak and one some chicken strips, and the bill was $78. :shock: It doesn't matter what we got, that's just ridiculous, but I know it's becoming the norm. How much longer can the average person afford to leave the house.

hero its the same as going to the store picking up a few items about 20 and the bill comes to $78. I truly do not understand how anyone making min wage can afford ANYTHING. Its a bad trend we are in of things going up and up and up sooner or later we will have a crazy. I hope the crash makes land a lot cheaper :mrgreen:

The average person could fund a millionaires retirement on what they spend eating out. There is 5 in my family. I will take my family out to eat occasionally, but I refuse to partake. I travel quit a bit. I get several dollars a day to eat out on. If I go somewhere that I deem expensive, I'll order a baked potatoe, a and water.

I take it Longhorn is a restaurant chain :?:

Yep, it does cost a lot to eat out. I eat out a lot and don't intend to stop. It's my weakness. :roll:

I tell folks I don't mind cooking so much, but I hate doing dishes! :devil2:

We cant have it both ways, cattle are high makes a steak whatever the size. I agree everything is to high, but i like a good steak. I prefer Texas Roadhouse when we go out its usually 10 runs 2 to 250 but i enjoy it. Have an aunt and uncle that could buy a bank and when they go out they split a bowl of beans everybody has there thing.

We dont eat out unless its a social event. But, when caught out at meal time, our choice is Sonic's little jr burger and jr fries with water. The 2 of us can eat for under 10 and its a more normal portion size. I dont see how first, people pay so much to eat out and two, how they eat so much.
Kids today will go out on the weekend and spend so much money. They think nothing of spending as much as what we paid for an acre of land 25 years ago on one meal. And i'm now sounding like my grandparents.. :lol2:

Last couple times I ate out in the big city I had steak and eggs with sourdough toast for breakfast, and steak and fries with Texas toast for supper. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Yes, it's quite a bit over $10 :oops:

We took my son out last night for his birthday (he turned 10 today). We might eat out 10 times a year, even with all the travel we do with the cattle (we pack our food). A family of 5 cost a lot to feed on the road! Anyway, there were just 4 of us, oldest is off to college. He chose Red Lobster, and he and his sister ate from the kids menu, and hubby and I had adult entry (admiral feast - had fried shrimp, clams, fish, scallops). Decent size portions, but the food was horrible in my opinion. Could have eaten Long John Silvers for the same quality of food. We were really disappointed, but the son was happy because he could get a ShirleyTemple. Total cost, $74 including tip. Wow! And my food is better....

To really decide whether it is cost effective to dine out these days, we need more information and data.
I'd like to see a cost analysis of the cost of a family's eating out 1 night/week compared to......... the more realistic TRUE upkeep cost of keeping a spouse/cook/head bottle washer/babysitter/gate opener/companion for the whole week.

(Personal "fringe benefits" don't count)

Might be less expensive to eat out every meal.........
:hide:

We eat out about once/week, usually at a Mexican food restaurant or a burger place. Avg bill for the 2 of us at the Mexican place is around $20+tip. ("plant your corn early next year" normally suffices to cover the gratuity)

ALACOWMAN":1i63an47 said:
When a 4 weight calf brings over a grand , I feel a little hypocritical complaining ....
Absolutely !! Like a fine whiskey, a fine steak has never sold for what it's worth. We eat out a couple times a week. I'm absolutely going to order what I want !!!! If you don't or can't you're in the wrong place anyway. I do enjoy a burger from Whataburger every couple of weeks.

greybeard":qfcmx59t said:
To really decide whether it is cost effective to dine out these days, we need more information and data.
I'd like to see a cost analysis of the cost of a family's eating out 1 night/week compared to......... the more realistic TRUE upkeep cost of keeping a spouse/cook/head bottle washer/babysitter/gate opener/companion for the whole week.

We eat out about once/week, usually at a Mexican food restaurant or a burger place. Avg bill for the 2 of us at the Mexican place is around $20+tip. ("plant your corn early next year" normally suffices to cover the gratuity)

You cheap son of a gun! :lol:

TexasBred":1gblxjbe said:
ALACOWMAN":1gblxjbe said:
When a 4 weight calf brings over a grand , I feel a little hypocritical complaining ....
Absolutely !! Like a fine whiskey, a fine steak has never sold for what it's worth. We eat out a couple times a week. I'm absolutely going to order what I want !!!! If you don't or can't you're in the wrong place anyway. I do enjoy a burger from Whataburger every couple of weeks.
Wish we had a whataburger here,out side of homemade you can't get one worth a dam anymore....

Hook":1a1otv6l said:
greybeard":1a1otv6l said:

You cheap son of a gun! :lol:
Worked for nearly 40 years in the private sector and no one ever handed me a tip other than "thank you".
But yeah, I do have to hand over the $$--wife insists. She used to wait tables back in her younger days.
Once a month or so, we drive over to Porter and have a steak at Hofbrau or out at the Ranch Hand on 321. I can always plan on it (for the 2 of us) costing me 1 1/2 more than a full roll of barbed wire would. Worth every penny too. Even a CFS runs $11-$13 without drink or appetizers.
A true story about tipping the waitstaff.

Back before my father passed away, I'd come from San Angelo to Cleveland and spend a week with him. He liked to go to the local eateries several times/day--sometimes to eat, other times just for coffee and to see friends. He had a routine down.
When we got ready to leave, he'd drop a couple of quarters down for the tip--I usually left $1 or more depending if we just had coffee or ate. One day, he got mad at me when I left $2.
"You put that back in your pocket boy--that's ok for you, you're fixin to go back home. I gotta come in here every day and afore long, them girls would come to expect that kind of tip, and I ain't gonna do it--they'll get spoiled to that kind of thing. 50 cents is plenty good"

We went to a high end fufu restraint one year for our anniversary. The wait staff treated us poorly, noses in the air. Even though we were dressed better than some of the other patrons. The valet on the other hand was great from the get go. I left a 5 dollar tip on a 150 buck meal. Once finished and on the way out I gave the valet 30 bucks and told him he got the waiters tip and the waiter got his. The grin on his face was priceless.