Resource ve Cowboy Up

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Called to order some SAV Resource straws and informed the guy I was breeding Leachman Right Time , and N Bar Ext cows. He recommended Cowboy Up over Resource. Any thoughts ?

I have no experience with cowboy up, and I plan for it to stay that way.
On the other hand, I love my resource and renown calves. They are favorites of everyone that see's them

I love our Resource calves I have been a fan since he first came available. I saw Cowboy Up at stud he looks great but I expect his docility numbers will go down, if you get my drift. I haven't used him nor will I in the future, I am far to old to deal with bad attitude.

Gizmom

We can't handle Cowboy Up's lack of milk. We have seen him used heavily to correct herds that chased $B to the detriment of the milk epd.

hornedfrogbbq said:
We can't handle Cowboy Up's lack of milk. We have seen him used heavily to correct herds that chased $B to the detriment of the milk epd.
I hear ya on the milk EPD. He sure adds performance, length and power though. they also gain well and do it efficiently.

Lot 75 Midland Bull Test

Lot 74 Midland Bull Test

I have never seen calf one with my own eyes but have buddies with terminal herds and they love him.

hornedfrogbbq said:
I have never seen calf one with my own eyes but have buddies with terminal herds and they love him.

I actually think his daughters will be really good. I guess we'll see. They are easy fleshing here and have good feet and structure. I don't really think that sacrificing 10 lbs at weaning on his daughters vs a +20 Milk is that big of a deal. I guess time will tell.

LCBulls said:
hornedfrogbbq said:

I actually think his daughters will be really good. I guess we'll see. They are easy fleshing here and have good feet and structure. I don't really think that sacrificing 10 lbs at weaning on his daughters vs a +20 Milk is that big of a deal. I guess time will tell.

Once he has a couple hundred daughters in production wean calves then we will know where his milk epd is. Until then he is just an unproven bull. He has been used a bunch so it will shake out in a couple of years.

W.B. said:
LCBulls said:
hornedfrogbbq said:

Once he has a couple hundred daughters in production wean calves then we will know where his milk epd is. Until then he is just an unproven bull. He has been used a bunch so it will shake out in a couple of years.

Yep, just like any other bull out there. You'll really know in 5-10 years :cboy:

I come from a Hereford background so i remember plenty of no milk cows. Their old epd formula accounted for milk in a way that lowered the milk epd automatically for the extra growth. I haven't seen any Cowboy daughters so I won't pass judgement on them. I have seen some Upward daughters that I would best describe as steery fronted through their head and neck. I don't necessarily think that every female that lacks femininty is automatically a poor cow or every female that has ideal type is a good cow but I do think there is a correlation.

Without seeing a bunch of resources next to a bunch of cowboy ups, I would have bet the resources have more muscle shape to them. Saw a few cowboy ups in a sale pen and they weren't the thickest in the pen by far. I sure didnt look hard at them because I was looking for a marbling bull but the cowboy ups didnt stick out in terms of phenotype at all.

I really like Resource and Cowboy Up. We have used both and the Cowboy Ups are the closest we've had to matching the muscle and performance of Resource. I think both are really nice bulls. Slight nod to Resource since we still don't know how the Cowboy Up Daughters will be yet. But if The breeder of the bull is correct that they are good Milkers, then he will be around for many years to come.

I just don't quite trust the numbers anymore. The changes over the past couple of years just don't read true, at least not in my herd. I admit some hit it just right but just as many leaving me scratching my head especially milk EPD.

Gizmom

Looks like GENEX has sexed Resource semen. I didn't know Resource was sexed.

I called and ordered some. $75. They said He isn't collecting well. So it's "limited"

Latest posts