Remember the Emu craze

Help Support CattleToday:

i was thinking of getting a small elephant .. i'm sure they don't eat that much.. would be fun to ride one around the farm.. no exotic animals laws here.

In 1978, that's the first craze I remember. It was the flec sim craze. We fell into that one. That's why we are so good at pulling calves. Lol

greybeard said:
I forgot all about them pot bellied pigs. Mini [anything] is hot too right now. Tiny horses, tiny cows, tiny donkeys... and them dang fainting goats..

They're pitching pot bellied pig boars over the fence at one of those feral hog game preserves. They claim they are diluted the genes. I asked what kind of fence holds those feral hogs. They replied the fence doesn't hold them and that's why they are giving them pigs. Sounded like sabotage to me.

backhoeboogie said:
greybeard said:
I forgot all about them pot bellied pigs. Mini [anything] is hot too right now. Tiny horses, tiny cows, tiny donkeys... and them dang fainting goats..

They're pitching pot bellied pig boars over the fence at one of those feral hog game preserves. They claim they are diluted the genes. I asked what kind of fence holds those feral hogs. They replied the fence doesn't hold them and that's why they are giving them pigs. Sounded like sabotage to me.

Fellow get caught dumping hogs is one of those he needed shooting cases.

Potbellied pigs are back in fashion. Breeders are selling "micropigs" that they claim will mature at about 10 pounds as house pets. People buy them and pretty soon they have a 300 pound sow sleeping on their couch.
Neighbor lady bought a Potbelly pig a few years back. The now ~ 250 lb Peggy happily shares an oversized pet bed with the 175 lb Mastiff curled up like spoons below the wide screen TV in the front room. :roll:
Don't laugh about the Fainting Goat deal. I've got friends whose primary income is derived from custom haying and his savvy wife raises those goofy goats and sells them for a tidy profit.

cowgirl8 said:
Oh god, I dream of having a fainting goat.. I'd never get any work done, i'd be out there making the goat faint..

Exactly... I howl with laughter at some of the youtube videos
https://youtu.be/q0DzaOTKxXM

Caustic Burno said:
backhoeboogie said:
greybeard said:

Fellow get caught dumping hogs is one of those he needed shooting cases.

CB it seems like a classic case to "two wrongs don't make a right".

backhoeboogie said:
greybeard said:

Now that you mentioned this, several of the last we shot looked rounder. I commented that someone must have let out a potbelly pig to breed them. Its not a bad thing though, they were plump, short legged and fat...That's the thing, their legs were short, before the wild ones have longer than normal pig legs..

cowgirl8 said:
backhoeboogie said:
greybeard said:

Now that you mentioned this, several of the last we shot looked rounder. I commented that someone must have let out a potbelly pig to breed them. Its not a bad thing though, they were plump, short legged and fat...That's the thing, their legs were short, before the wild ones have longer than normal pig legs..

The imported Russian bloodlines are what caused these things to get out of control.

I have a neighbor that had two Rhea's (cousin to the ostrich and emu). My wife had been telling her brother-in-law about all of the wild turkey we had around. Once they came to visit and got to our home about dusk. Brother-in-law (city boy) came in and said "I just saw the biggest dam tukey I have ever seen"!

Fads can and will fail, especially if you try to price them too high. It happened with llamas, ostriches, emus, alpacas. I think Polish Arabians were before all those. I don't know, I was just a kid back then.

I think the trick to having some sort of new breed of horse or cow is to keep your prices reasonable. Don't let idiots drive the price to high, or it will tumble hard. My area had Highland cattle priced at $500-$1,000 for heifers. For a specialty breed with specific appeal, that seems reasonable. Now, all of the sudden, I see them at $2,500 for unregistered. I predict a sad fall if they try to keep that up. I think that happened to the Zebu cattle around here. Now, you can't give them away.

The only meat I wonder about is what used to be popular. Anyone had goose? It was the most popular holiday bird for the longest time. I heard the oil is a pain in the butt and it's tricky to cook. Maybe we just forgot how? Maybe not good for commercial poultry houses?

My wife bought a place from two old gals. She got it cheap by giving them a life time estate. They had made big money years ago with llamas. Now days you can't hardly give them away. Them two old gals don't have two pennies to rub together and their health is slipping but they keep breeding those llamas. One day it will be left to me to haul the worthless things off.

i tried (at different times) to cook both a goose and duck for Christmas..using instructions I got from folks at CT.
They neglected to tell me to unplug my smoke alarms and that I would have to give my oven a good cleaning afterwards and that the whole front part of my house would smell like goose and duck fat for weeks to come.
I've seen hogs that didn't have that much fat or rendered down grease in them.

Sticking with turkey, ham and brisket from now on...

greybeard said:
i tried (at different times) to cook both a goose and duck for Christmas..using instructions I got from folks at CT.
They neglected to tell me to unplug my smoke alarms and that I would have to give my oven a good cleaning afterwards and that the whole front part of my house would smell like goose and duck fat for weeks to come.

:lol2:

Sorry for laughing, that actually sounds pretty awful.

I think one bit of advice I read was to remove the skin. How would you keep it from drying out while roasting?

About 10 years ago I bought a Registered Hereford gilt. I AI'd her several times and my wife was getting $300 each for wieners. We sold them all over, Washington, Oregon,Idaho, Utah and California.
We got out just as the market got flooded.

greybeard said:

Turducken is really good if you have the time and patience to make it. The grease from the duck stays contained and prevents the turkey from getting dry.

greybeard said:

We still do a goose with the beef and pork roast at Christmas, I did about 500 geese every year at Laverstoke organic farm, always sold out as did the turkeys, not sure if they are still doing them since I left though. Ducks are more difficult to cook but the wife likes to keep a couple of Welch Harlequins for eggs and meat - they are great for slug and snail control in the vegetables as well.