Remember the Emu craze

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
I had several friends who went into debt to start a herd or flock of emus. Lost tons of money. My thoughts on them were, "If they were good to eat, we'd already be eating them." I heard people were playing like 15,000 for a breeding pair. I just cant imagine.

I can testify that they are not real good eating. They will cause you to get new BVD's especially when you run into one before daylight on your way to the deer stand. There is not supposed to be anything like that in the thicket.You will think your in Jurassic park a load of double aught will take one out. After the crash woods had quite a few running around.

cowgirl8 said:
I had several friends who went into debt to start a herd or flock of emus. Lost tons of money. My thoughts on them were, "If they were good to eat, we'd already be eating them." I heard people were playing like 15,000 for a breeding pair. I just cant imagine.

Crazy fools.

Alpaca ran king is where the real money is to be had.

Caustic Burno said:
I can testify that they are not real good eating. They will cause you to get new BVD's especially when you run into one before daylight on your way to the deer stand. There is not supposed to be anything like that in the thicket.You will think your in Jurassic park a load of double aught will take one out. After the crash woods had quite a few running around.

We had some get into one of our pastures. The cows stampeded through a strong 5 strand fence. But before they did that, they almost trampled my husband, his father and our 5yr old son... cows and emus, don't mix.
I was riding on a trail ride and some came running up to the riders, from a pen at a house on the highway, horses flew in every direction. Luckily, i'm a very careful person and always put myself at the back of the bunch. I saw the chaos and went wayyyy around it.

I have the rare distinction of killing an ostrich. Man here got in to the fad when it came around, and his got out. When somebody would call him, he would just come shoot it. When one showed up here, I cut out the middleman.

Shot an emu once. Loading that thing in the back of the truck by myself was a chore because those wings like jumper cables catching on everything. Cleaned and cooked it. Had I known then what I know now I'd have left the thing for the buzzards .... assuming they would eat that vile tasting thing.

I know a guy that grew up in Peru. He's got me thinking that guinea pigs are the meat of the future.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Buck Randall said:
I know a guy that grew up in Peru. He's got me thinking that guinea pigs are the meat of the future.

Actually it'll be rats.
A rat craze? No, that's pasśe.
These things run in cycles.
1st, it was rats in the form of chinchillas.
Then came Emus.
(i think chia pets fell right in here somewhere)
Then Alpacas.
Now, it's black hides on cattle of any kind.

The gullibility of certain demographics never ceases to amaze me.

Deep pit emu is pretty good. I had a buddy that found one running around on a dairy at 2AM. He ran it up in a corner and stuck a boot on it's head and managed to get it hog tied in the bed of his truck. It layed there nice and quiet until about 11 am when he was done for the day, at which point it shook the boot off and stood up in the bed of his truck while he was driving through town. We invited the ol boy that shot it for him to the BBQ.

Neighbors down the road had emus. My older brother was best friends with their youngest kid. Once in a while I would go over with him and tag along(I was probably 4 or 5). They would take me out to the Emu pen and throw a pepsi can in. Birds would go nuts, peck all the paint off the can... "If you don't behave we'll throw you in there."

Between the Birds, A great Pyrenees Dog they had convinced me was vicious, and making me watch scary movies like Cujo... nightmares.

Boys will be Boys.

Potbellied pigs are back in fashion. Breeders are selling "micropigs" that they claim will mature at about 10 pounds as house pets. People buy them and pretty soon they have a 300 pound sow sleeping on their couch.

I forgot all about them pot bellied pigs. Mini [anything] is hot too right now. Tiny horses, tiny cows, tiny donkeys... and them dang fainting goats..

Emu's were gone quick, lasted maybe 2-3 years. Down to one bison producer and one elk producer, had several 20 years ago. Still a few with alpacas. If I had to pick one, I would go with elk. Crazy money for the ground antlers, meat is fantastic and they eat very little hay in winter. Neighbor would winter about 100 head on 45 6x5 bales for entire winter.

I'll give you the drum now, trade your Emu's in on Goannas. Goanna oil is the miracle cure for all ailments.

The Emu's start just a bit further west of us, most of the open plains country. With settlement and construction of water sources it has favoured the roos and emu's to multiply and of course not the natives about now feeding on them.

Ken

greybeard said:
I forgot all about them pot bellied pigs. Mini [anything] is hot too right now. Tiny horses, tiny cows, tiny donkeys... and them dang fainting goats..

Remember the first fainting goats I ever saw thought I killed the majority of the flock and I was going to have to buy them. Pulled up to a FFA barn to deliver a calf and they ran in front of the truck when I laid on the horn I killed the goats. That sure seems like a poor defense system to me.

Oh god, I dream of having a fainting goat.. I'd never get any work done, i'd be out there making the goat faint..