Related to coyote wacking..........

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":jb47xplq said:
D.R. Cattle":jb47xplq said:
J Baxter":jb47xplq said:
I wouldn't trade my remington for two weatherbys. I have two cousins that shoot weatherby. My old cheap remington will make 'em look foolish every time..

I doubt you'll make a Weatherby look foolish, but I too prefer the Rem as a well made, straight shooting working man's rifle.

The only problem I have with Weatherbys is that they're too purty to beat up. My Mark XXII has some pretty fancy wood and the Athena is gorgeous.
On any given day my "favorite" ranges from an old original Winchester M1 Garand to a Contender with one of the wildcat barrels. But the Ruger 10/22 stnls synthetic lives on the mule 24/7. It's all that is required for snappers, possums, coons or hard shell possums and misc. stray cats. The only thing that requires more poop is coyotes, pretty much because of the range, and the occasional wandering pooch. I forgot the occasional turkey head shot at 100-150 yds, that calls for one of the Contenders.

dun

This is a very entertaining post. Can't argue against any of the statements.

As long as were on the subject, how about some advice on selecting a new whitetail rifle with added punch for larger game if necessary. I was thinking of trying one of the new short mag calibers or a 7MM-08. Any suggetsions? Dang 300 Mag is just too harsh for every hunting trip.

D.R. Cattle":6xk2ec42 said:
As long as were on the subject, how about some advice on selecting a new whitetail rifle with added punch for larger game if necessary. I was thinking of trying one of the new short mag calibers or a 7MM-08. Any suggetsions? Dang 300 Mag is just too harsh for every hunting trip.

Well, for whitetail I use either a Contender in 6.5 Bullberry Improved ora .250 Savage. For Mule deer, a .257 Roberts improved or the 6.5 BB Imp.
A lot depends on how much larger game you're talking about.
The only real thumper (to me anyway) that I was ever able to shoot well was a 7mm Rem Mag., although offhand a .375 H&H in a Ruger #1 Tropical was a pretty easy shooter.g The .375 would do the job on the really big bears and the 7mm would work on smaller bears, elk and even moose if you use the 175 gr and select your shots. But for that matter, other then a little more range, a .30-06 with 220s would also do the job. The only 06 I have is the Garand and too heavy to lug around , although I did use it for coyotes for a while one year. I personally can't shoot a 300 mag, even the wincheste version. It just crosses my eyes and gives me a head ache.
Rather then a 7-08, I'ld go with a .308. I've wacked a lot of venison with an old Rem 700 in 308, used it for jack rabbits one year too.
That was one of the big advantages to having a gunshop. I could take in used stuff in trade and then play with it till it sold.

dun

I have a Ruger 30-06 that came out of the box with the sweetest tigger pull. I have used it on all three species of deer (blacktail, mule, whitetail) here in Washington. It has worked just great, including long shots on big mulies. I have shot 7 or 8 elk with it. I went to a 300 win mag for elk just to get a heavier bullet and more penetration. Elk don't tend to just flop over unless hit the spine or brain so an exit hole and a good blood trail comes in handy. The youngest boy uses a 338 but I don't enjoy recoil that much. I always prefer standard calibers just because it is easier to find ammo in a pinch. If I am 6 hours form home and lose my bullets for some reason, any sporting goods store will have 30-06 or 300 shells.

Dave

Dave, I know what you mean about finding ammo in out of the way places. I've got a nice 8 mm Rem. Mag. that it is surprisingly hard for me to find ammo for, even here in Houston! I know it's not a real popular caliber (and that lots of folks prefer the .338) but I like to carry it to the deer lease to use for head shots on hogs! (I use a 7 mag for deer). I feel only a very little recoil from the "8", but I'm a fairly stout boy. Keep hoping that I'll be able to go on an elk or moose hunt and really use it for the reason I bought it in the first place. Or perhaps someday use it on some large African "non-big 5" targets.

Hey you guys,

Since we have some weapons experts out there and I am shopping for a longer range small bore, ie. 22-280 (or best sugestions), I wont mount a scope on Granpa's 30-06, just can't bring myself to do it, matter of principle, awesome weapon, and I want less kick, with the same range just smaller caliber

What do you recomend, Weatherby has great rep, like Winchester, & Remington, prefer wood stock (they are pretty) looking for something with high accuracy at 200-300 yards, for varmints, wild hogs etc.

Also would like to find good weapon with great scope, large optics, nearly blind, priced under $1200

The lightweight 30-06 round remington made was called an accelerator. It weighed a whopping 55 grains. It had good range before very little knockdown or energy. It wasn't a suitable round for whitetails. much better suited for prairie dogs or coyotes. I would much prefer a 22-250 or 220 swift.

JB

Arnold, one of my elk hunting partners as a 8 mag. He likes the results it provides. It is a nice gun. I don't know if is the caliber or the fit of the rifle but it doesn't seem to kick nearly as hard as the 3 or 4 338's I have fired. He use to have a Browning A-bolt 338 that would turn your shoulder black and blue. I prefer the theory that the location of the hit is more important than what you hit them with so I think all those cannons are over kill. But when you have to travel the distance that you guy do to hunt elk I would sure make sure to bring more than enough gun. Me I have to worry about the elk tearing down the fences in the cow pasture. So if I have to pass on a bull because he is too far or at the wrong angle.... well there will be another oppurtunity tomorrow or next week.
Dave

Michelle Pankonien":1elco88a said:
Hey you guys,

Since we have some weapons experts out there and I am shopping for a longer range small bore, ie. 22-280 (or best sugestions), I wont mount a scope on Granpa's 30-06, just can't bring myself to do it, matter of principle, awesome weapon, and I want less kick, with the same range just smaller caliber

What do you recomend, Weatherby has great rep, like Winchester, & Remington, prefer wood stock (they are pretty) looking for something with high accuracy at 200-300 yards, for varmints, wild hogs etc.

Also would like to find good weapon with great scope, large optics, nearly blind, priced under $1200

The 25-06 would work well for everything but the hogs. Once you through them in the equation you're looking at a heavier bullet weight requirement. It would work, but wouldn't be adequate for the grisle plate on pigs. You kind of get into conflicting requirements. Kind of like a pony that can pull a beer wagon. Depending on the range, a good 41 or 44 mag in a scope sighted revolver or single shot would work. A 270 would also work, but then you're into the same recoil arena as the 06. Typically Savages have less felt recoil then any of the other major players. That's strictly a stock shape and butt width (the rifles) thing. Rugers seem to be the worst except for the #1.

dun

monkeywerkz":6uwz9pzc said:
Does anyone have thoughts about Marlin, and their 30-30 rifles?

- Richard

Excellent quality and design

dun

Michelle Pankonien":3aae2mtm said:
I wont mount a scope on Granpa's 30-06, just can't bring myself to do it, matter of principle...
Don't blame you. If you get used to the peep sights they can be much deadlier than typical civilian iron sights. But a scope is obviously best.
Michelle Pankonien":3aae2mtm said:
I want less kick, with the same range just smaller caliber...with high accuracy at 200-300 yards
Have you looked at the 22.250? You might really like it. It will reach out and touch somebody long distance and despite the 55gr slug will inflict some nasty trama

Craig-TX

My favorite gun:

Remington 7mm-08 Model 700 Titanium w/Kahles 7x36 Scope
Light as a feather, not much kick or noise and you can cover a five shot pattern at 100 yds with a dime. Had it "accurized" by the folks at Hill Country Rifle in Texas. Best whitetail gun I've ever owned!
:D

I am a wimp. I don't want my shoulder hurting the next three days. The worst I shoot is a mossberg 20ga. But don't take that out very often. I just got a new Winchester 90-410. Lever action. I don't like to be knocked out of the tree or be afraid to pull the trigger. The .410 suits me just dandy! And will kill a whitetail w/ no problem. :D

A 410???? We use that to shoot pigeons in the barn, maybe a stupid blue grouse on a logging road. You must be mighty close to the deer. I don't even believe it is legal for deer in this state. I know that I have shot deer at under a 100 yard but not every often. In fact I have probably shot more at over 300 yards than I have at under 100 yards.
Dave

Browning BAR .308 lever gun...sweeeet!
Bought it new in '86.
Took good care of it for a decade or so, now it rides behind the seat of my farm truck.
Shoots
FLAT
open sights,
It's better than I am.

Hillbilly

A 410???? We use that to shoot pigeons in the barn, maybe a stupid blue grouse on a logging road. You must be mighty close to the deer. I don't even believe it is legal for deer in this state. I know that I have shot deer at under a 100 yard but not every often. In fact I have probably shot more at over 300 yards than I have at under 100 yards.
Dave

Dave,
Around here deer are a problem. It is rare if you don't trip over one that is bedded down on the way to the tree stand. Last year 2 guy's that hunt w/ us got their bag limit w/in 1 hour the first day out. Ohio big buck trophy's too!

Winchester Model 70 ( pre 64 feather weight ) 3 X 9 scope in a .308 for deer or anything smaller than a bear.

My carry gun in a little Marlin .22 Mag. with a 3 X 9 scope, deadly on Dun's hard shelled possoms, yotes and even on small hogs. I took one this spring that field dressed ~100 pounds, one shot in the burr of the ear at 50 yards dropped it in it's tracks. Mighty tasty!

My wife hunts with a Remington Model 700 in a .243 but we're talking about moving her up to a 7mm-08. The .243 is a great gun but it doesn't always have a exit wound, makes it's a little hard to trail through these pine plantations even when they're heart shot and don't go very far.

;-)

Latest posts