Related to coyote wacking..........

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Any one tried the new "TS" trigger from Savage? I ended up having to do a trigger job on my deer rifle. I had thought it was pretty good until I messed with the Savage.

dun

Don't own any Savages. Funny you should mention, I've got a cabinet full of variety. My cheapest bolt action has the nicest trigger (Rem 700), while the Weatherby trigger is as rough as a cobb. Go figure.

I wouldn't trade my remington for two weatherbys. I have two cousins that shoot weatherby. My old cheap remington will make 'em look foolish every time..

J Baxter":2o4uwvv5 said:
I wouldn't trade my remington for two weatherbys. I have two cousins that shoot weatherby. My old cheap remington will make 'em look foolish every time..

I doubt you'll make a Weatherby look foolish, but I too prefer the Rem as a well made, straight shooting working man's rifle.

Don't know about the new trigger, but in my opinion you'll be hard pressed to find a more accurate "out of the box" rifle than the Savage, expecially when you consider the price. Just about the best stock barrels I have ever shot. I've got two, one in 30-06 and one in 7mm Mag, both will shoot sub MOA with factory loads. They look like crap but I kind of like that because I don't feel too bad about tossing them around in the truck or scabard. They outshoot my Remingtons by far. I did have the triggers worked over though, they were rough as a cobb out of the box.

bwranch":3nhx9avi said:
Don't know about the new trigger, but in my opinion you'll be hard pressed to find a more accurate "out of the box" rifle than the Savage, expecially when you consider the price. Just about the best stock barrels I have ever shot. I've got two, one in 30-06 and one in 7mm Mag, both will shoot sub MOA with factory loads. They look like be nice but I kind of like that because I don't feel too bad about tossing them around in the truck or scabard. They outshoot my Remingtons by far. I did have the triggers worked over though, they were rough as a cobb out of the box.

I heavyed up the TS trigger on my Savage, it's about 3 lbs now, nice and crisp.

Doesn't shoot particularly well. Groups run outside to outside 1/2 in wide and 1 3/4 high at 200 yds

dun

MULDOON":1zadil05 said:
That's close enough for me to call you SIR! :roll: :lol: :cboy:

I classify it as pathetic. It wants to do better I think. A little carefull load development should solve it's problem.

dun

dun":3tlhw64e said:
MULDOON":3tlhw64e said:

I classify it as pathetic. It wants to do better I think. A little carefull load development should solve it's problem.

dun

I can't think of anyone that would classify that as pathetic. Elite snipers might classify it as worthy of improvement, but pathetic is definitely an overstatement.

With a 300 Weatherby Mag, I'm bracing for an earthquake at any range. Can't hit a darn thing without lots of mental conditioning. I need to trade that Elk blaster for a short mag.

Don't know about that trigger but my all time favorite rifle is my remington 6mm mag. I had a 2lb trigger job done on it and it is smooth as a whistle. Getting a little hard to get 100 grain sp shells though. I've put down many a deer and varmit.

D.R. Cattle":rdg3jzor said:
dun":rdg3jzor said:
MULDOON":rdg3jzor said:

dun

I can't think of anyone that would classify that as pathetic. Elite snipers might classify it as worthy of improvement, but pathetic is definitely an overstatement.

I agree. The older I get the more trouble I have with ESO, otherwise known as Equipment Superior to Operator. Used to be able to drive tacks at 200yds. Now I'm proud if a snuff can will cover my pattern.

Craig-TX

sidney411":lscozsom said:
Don't know about that trigger but my all time favorite rifle is my remington 6mm mag. I had a 2lb trigger job done on it and it is smooth as a whistle. Getting a little hard to get 100 grain sp shells though. I've put down many a deer and varmit.

What is this 6mm mag. you mentioned? Is it the 6.5 Rem Mag or the 6mm Remington/.244 Remington? If it's the 6mm/.244 even walmart carrys the 100 gr psp-cl ammo.

dun

D.R. Cattle":2o65lwsa said:
dun":2o65lwsa said:
MULDOON":2o65lwsa said:

dun

Since my Contender in .219 Donaldson Wasp will shoot groups slightly smaller at 300 yds, I consider it pathetic. I'm not even all that good of a shot anymore.
In the mojave we passed up shots at jackrabbits of less then 200 yds because they were too easy. But that was using a good rest and sub MOA loads and barrels. Of course that was when I was shooting several hundred rounds a week also.

dun

D.R. Cattle":2v4m7p37 said:
J Baxter":2v4m7p37 said:

I doubt you'll make a Weatherby look foolish, but I too prefer the Rem as a well made, straight shooting working man's rifle.

The only problem I have with Weatherbys is that they're too purty to beat up. My Mark XXII has some pretty fancy wood and the Athena is gorgeous.
On any given day my "favorite" ranges from an old original Winchester M1 Garand to a Contender with one of the wildcat barrels. But the Ruger 10/22 stnls synthetic lives on the mule 24/7. It's all that is required for snappers, possums, coons or hard shell possums and misc. stray cats. The only thing that requires more poop is coyotes, pretty much because of the range, and the occasional wandering pooch. I forgot the occasional turkey head shot at 100-150 yds, that calls for one of the Contenders.

dun

dun":7swbs7vz said:
D.R. Cattle":7swbs7vz said:
J Baxter":7swbs7vz said:

The only problem I have with Weatherbys is that they're too purty to beat up. My Mark XXII has some pretty fancy wood and the Athena is gorgeous.
On any given day my "favorite" ranges from an old original Winchester M1 Garand to a Contender with one of the wildcat barrels. But the Ruger 10/22 stnls synthetic lives on the mule 24/7. It's all that is required for snappers, possums, coons or hard shell possums and misc. stray cats. The only thing that requires more poop is coyotes, pretty much because of the range, and the occasional wandering pooch. I forgot the occasional turkey head shot at 100-150 yds, that calls for one of the Contenders.

dun

dun

I enjoyed that post so much I read it three times…

"too purty to beat up" – I love that. I hunt doves with an 1100. It's a lot purtier on the insides than on the outside. Rifles and shotguns work for me, I don't work for them. For some reason I do have to confess to keeping pistols in top form.

"M1 Garand" – the best battle rifle ever built

"Ruger 10/22" – the best all purpose .22 ever built

"hard shell possums" – LOL

… and all the rest.

Craig-TX

dun":2o6wteds said:
On any given day my "favorite" ranges from an old original Winchester M1 Garand to a Contender with one of the wildcat barrels.
dun

Funny you should mention the Contender. I don't know anybody else who uses them but boy, what a great gun. 10 inch bull 7mm TCU w/ 4x scope...best thing I've got for around here where 150 yds is about max. Easy to carry and access, deadly on coyotes and whitetails.

Has anybody ever messed with the 30.06 sabot rounds? I want to say Remington made one called the Expediter or something like that. Never really needed it but have always been curious. They sound like fun if they shoot straight.

Craig-TX

Latest posts