REG ANGUS BULL X BEEFMASTER HEIFERS

Help Support CattleToday:

RPanguscattle

Reaction score
Currently have a Reg Angus bull on about 25 head of angus/brangus cows. Interested in purchasing some young beefmaster heifers to breed to angus bull? wanting some more frame and meat on my cows, What is everyone's opinion? Or should I do vise versa buy BEEFMASTER bull and breed to angus cows? all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Y'all, Rolly

I do not think that you can go wrong by putting the Angus bull on any of them. I am no expert with crosses, but I would not put a Beefmaster on Brangus cows myself. You may end up with too much leather for your buyers.

Ditto on beefmaster x brangus cross will have too much leather tho you should get some nice females out of that but you will get docked with steers at the sale barn. So stay on beefmaster heifers.

Taurus the leather wont matter in the south they don't dock leather in fact some places they want leather. At some of the local sale barns a straight angus will bring less than a Brahma cross. If you use the right Beefmaster bull you won't end up with that much leather on your calves. I just saw a thing on American Rancher where some ranchers in Florida are using Beefmaster bulls or Brangus cows and getting excellent results. If I was you RP I would get a real good Beefmaster Bull. Not sure about breeders in Florida but if you don't mind a haul Frenzel, ISA, and Buster all have really good bulls that would work for you.

I am well pleased with my calves from beefmaster cows and black angus bull. I had a fine calf born today from a beefmaster cow. These calves have outgrown the angus calves born about the same time. They are ready to be sold in the next few weeks. I am anxious to see how their weight and price compare with the calves from my angus cows. I really like this beefmaster angus cross.

branguscowgirl":1eabhan3 said:
I do not think that you can go wrong by putting the Angus bull on any of them. I am no expert with crosses, but I would not put a Beefmaster on Brangus cows myself. You may end up with too much leather for your buyers.
What does "too much leather" mean?

HDRider":1ukxxm3j said:
branguscowgirl":1ukxxm3j said:
What does "too much leather" mean?
Loose skin

I expect this is what you mean by too much leather.. And this is a purebred Beefmaster show calf.

103-L.jpg

Exactly why I would like to put them on Reg black angus heifers to tighten up some of that leather. Don't get me wrong I love the leather and sure everyone does as well but So much gets overwhelming and sale barns down here don't really deduct much for that I just personally don't like THAT much of it.

Thanks y'all

Williamsv":2hfc9443 said:
I am well pleased with my calves from beefmaster cows and black angus bull. I had a fine calf born today from a beefmaster cow. These calves have outgrown the angus calves born about the same time. They are ready to be sold in the next few weeks. I am anxious to see how their weight and price compare with the calves from my angus cows. I really like this beefmaster angus cross.

Williamsv Can you post picture of new calf recently born would love to see. Thanks!!

true it doesn't hit ya that bad here but also isn't in the int of beefmasters..unless yer just going comm then true it wont matter..as much

dieselbeef":2xz11oe3 said:
true it doesn't hit ya that bad here but also isn't in the int of beefmasters..unless yer just going comm then true it wont matter..as much

Im just commercial as for right now herd is all registered but to much money to keep buying reg heifers & cows!

FWIW- In my experience, the more leather on a Brangus leans towards more Brahman influence in that particular animal. (Now I know that there are a lot of good Brahmans out there.) But many times you also get an "over the top" protective mama cow, taller and harder fleshing cow. And a little wilder and flightier animal. (Hence, why the Beefmaster and Brangus breeds were developed in the first place.) So in my opinion it is not just about the "look" of extra leather, it is about the Brahman influence on that animal. It may or may not be what you want in your herd.

if you dont want alot of leather on your calves.you can get a beefmaster bull thats got a tighter sheeth to him.that reduces the leather the calves have.

bigbull338":33i9u6ts said:
if you dont want alot of leather on your calves.you can get a beefmaster bull thats got a tighter sheeth to him.that reduces the leather the calves have.
I agree. But it may not if you are putting him on Brangus cows. You are diluting your Angus influence and adding more Brahman.

Latest posts