Red vs Black Angus at the market

Help Support CattleToday:

Ashton V

Reaction score
I was doing some thinking and I am still somewhat new to all of this, but the huge push for black is due to the market being dominated by angus. However there are red angus. So if the the reason the market is wanting black is simply because of angus beef then why wouldn't red angus bring just as much as black angus at the sale barn?

Ashton V":275gj41c said:
I was doing some thinking and I am still somewhat new to all of this, but the huge push for black is due to the market being dominated by angus. However there are red angus. So if the the reason the market is wanting black is simply because of angus beef then why wouldn't red angus bring just as much as black angus at the sale barn?
If they are certified angus genetics they probably do. The Red Angus association has a certification program that allows red angus sired calves to qualify for severla of the angus programs, just not CAB

Around here reds have been bringing more than blacks lately.
Just by my limited observation in my area the reds are of higher quality than the blacks, percentage wise. I believe this is because the people with reds have to sell quality. rather than just the popular black hide.

novatech":28x6gz72 said:
Just by my limited observation in my area the reds are of higher quality than the blacks, percentage wise. I believe this is because the people with reds have to sell quality. rather than just the popular black hide.

I agree with you there. Which is is sad when you see a crappy looking calf sale for a decent price and a good-looking red sell for the same. I have always loved red angus.

dun":3pdek0wk said:
Ashton V":3pdek0wk said:
If they are certified angus genetics they probably do. The Red Angus association has a certification program that allows red angus sired calves to qualify for severla of the angus programs, just not CAB

I am starting to think that there is a growing number of cattlemen that are using Red Angus bulls on their black cows, and then the resulting black colored calves are potentially eligible for CAB if they, like other black cattle, make the CAB spec's. Just a hunch. In all fairness you will also have to considered my bias as the majority of Our registered cattle are 1A Red Angus.

Julian":3chothjz said:
dun":3chothjz said:
Ashton V":3chothjz said:

I am starting to think that there is a growing number of cattlemen that are using Red Angus bulls on their black cows, and then the resulting black colored calves are potentially eligible for CAB if they, like other black cattle, make the CAB spec's. Just a hunch. In all fairness you will also have to considered my bias as the majority of Our registered cattle are 1A Red Angus.

Could be a possibility. Red gene is dominant correct?

But I do know that people will breed their mix matched cattle to any old black bulls trying to get the "Angus Influence"

In my opinion, good cattle are good cattle no matter the breed. They all have their place otherwise they wouldn't be around. The goals set forth by any breeder can produce a quality cow herd no matter the breed, if the goals are good goals and they strive to attain them.

A lot of people argue that Black Angus have had more genetic refinement to them, and more time to refine, than Reds. That really only means peanuts in the end scheme when your picking high quality genetics to start with, there are plenty strong Red Angus sires out there that rival Blacks. I agree with Novatech, Reds have to sell quality. Most people are just inclined to buy black - call it perception of product. Our bull sale last year had equal sale between reds and blacks.

novatech":2jnjshjd said:

I would also say again, especially in the hot south, that it would be smarter to have red cattle than black, for heat tolerance. Hot cattle don't eat as well, and are more likely to die in heat waves as we saw last summer. Dying cattle are not good for marketing.

Let me predict that the heat tolerance problem will be a major factor in blacks declining. I cannot understand why anyone in the midwest or south would have black cattle.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/vdpam/extensi ... eef-cattle

Heavy cattle cannot handle heat stress compared to lighter weight cattle. Increased fat deposition prevents cattle from regulating their heat effectively. Solar radiation is a critical component that can lead to death loss from heat stress. Typically, proportionality more black hided cattle die during heat waves then other hide colors.

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers.

Given the information from the above post, doesn't it make one wonder why there are more black Brangus than red Brangus?

novatech":26cx718g said:

I have been seeing some of the same here. In an annual heifer sale the top breds were red angus cows bred to a black angus bull at 1700.00 each. Horned herfs bred black angus were 1400.00 . Black angus heifers bred to angus bulls ( there were more of these) avg was 1425. sold several for 1300

JHH":2zren3t4 said:
novatech":2zren3t4 said:

I have been seeing some of the same here. In an annual heifer sale the top breds were red angus cows bred to a black angus bull at 1700.00 each. Horned herfs bred black angus were 1400.00 . Black angus heifers bred to angus bulls ( there were more of these) avg was 1425. sold several for 1300

Makes sense to have "red" cows to breed to whatever the "color" is bringing the high prices. Of course, I'm sure the buyer "may" be more interested which calttle will perform in a way to make him money. Be it feedlot efficiency, carcass, health or all .
Valerie

Never seen them stop a sale around here and ask, for performance records on the calves that were selling. Watched a 100 head or so sell today wasn't no questions asked.

I haven't either, but a friend of ours is a buyer and he can tell whose calves to buy and which ones to stay away from. They do remember who has made them monwy and whose calves have cost them.
Valerie

Unless the calves are branded or otherwise identified as owned by a certian person or the owner of the calves is sitting by the buyer telling him or her which calves are theirs how would that buyer pick them out of a thousand calves? Sorry ain't buying that story. A buyer that last very long in the busniess will just be buying as good of a quailty calf as they can for the money. Most of my calves never see the sale barn i sell to a broker. Black, white, red, doesn't make him any difference, just the quailty of the calf.

I sat in on a good sized auction of feeders last spring in Herreid, SD where I recall the producers name was prominently (and proudly) mentioned with each set of calves brought into the ring,at least while I was there. It seemed to me that the buyers may have known the producers. The lunch was good too.

Jim

Latest posts