Red Polls

Help Support CattleToday:

My comments about the red/yellow calves bringing more dollars is based on my weekly observation at local sale and friends and neighbors who have commented on the fact that their calves sired by black bulls are giving up weaning weight compared to the calves they previously raised.

I have worked for a small order buying company here in East Texas for 3.5 years. When I first started, we would get maybe 25% black hided calves on our orders due to the premium paid for the black hides. That has changed. We now get 60 to 70% black calves because they are more readily available and don't command a big premium.

first off, I didn't mean to start a color war. I appreciate all of the feedback and know there are benefits to any direction we may go, but it all depends on our ability to market what we raise. Here it is easier to "mainstream" black hided calves than red, yellow, white, or mouse colors.

That is not to discredit any of the benefits that come from hybrid vigor, but for a small commercial producer in this particular area, marketing is pretty important to the bottom line.

Now, if someone could lock into a private treaty or "value-added" program where the buyer directed a certain influence that would be a no-brainer so long as you were also doing so at a premium. (I think you would need the premium to account for the risk associated with the deal not coming through, and then you may be "stuck" with a set of calves that you otherwise wouldn't have had you stayed "mainstream" and not eliminated the majority of the buyers in the area.)

Thanks for all of the input. And for the record, we are still debating. I do agree that dollars determine the winner, and everyone's ability to get the most dollars for what they have is very individualized.

i bought a red poll bull today to use on my char and herfy cows i think he was as nice as any red angus bull i have looked at this spring only time will tell though David

angusdave63":5h32n37j said:
i bought a red poll bull today to use on my char and herfy cows i think he was as nice as any red angus bull i have looked at this spring only time will tell though David

:D :D :D :D

DOC HARRIS":1sxrdbau said:
A "good" (define "good") yellow calf that weighs 600 will bring $1.40, or $840. Comparing 'like to like', a black calf weighing the same 600 pounds @$1.50 will bring $900

DOC HARRIS

If you are going to compare like that you need to consider the time it takes for each one to hit 600 lbs. You could be money ahead at $840 with feed costs.

As you know Doc, the bottom line is where it counts. I have many colors although the majority are brangus (and black). Some cows earn more nickels every year and they're not black. Some black ones are great too.

Interesting that this topic came up. I've been doing some research myself about the Red Poll breed. So far, I'm not seeing anything about them that would discourage me, aside from how darn rare they are out here. You'll have to keep me informed on how things work out for y'all.

BC":hg3o5o4n said:
My comments about the red/yellow calves bringing more dollars is based on my weekly observation at local sale and friends and neighbors who have commented on the fact that their calves sired by black bulls are giving up weaning weight compared to the calves they previously raised.

Yeah, but think how much feed you save raising scrawny black calves! Keeping those expenses down should be the goal. :D

djinwa":27onkqcd said:
BC":27onkqcd said:

Yeah, but think how much feed you save raising scrawny black calves! Keeping those expenses down should be the goal. :D

My guess is those scrawny calves cost the same to feed as the bigger yellow calves.

I believe it is called hybrid vigor :D

Jovid":3cae272o said:
My guess is those scrawny calves cost the same to feed as the bigger yellow calves.

Hybrid vigor? I always considered it more like a business case analysis. :D

Subtract all the nickels you spend from those you took in, and that's what you got left. Some call it "profit." Some call it "losses."

There seems to be a widespread trend of too many folks getting emotionally invested in cows or else emotionally invested in one particular breed.

There is a huge difference between top dollar and top earning. I'll take the earnings any day.

backhoeboogie":22v1o8o4 said:
Jovid":22v1o8o4 said:

Hybrid vigor? I always considered it more like a business case analysis. :D

Subtract all the nickels you spend from those you took in, and that's what you got left. Some call it "profit." Some call it "losses."

There seems to be a widespread trend of too many folks getting emotionally invested in cows or else emotionally invested in one particular breed.

There is a huge difference between top dollar and top earning. I'll take the earnings any day.
thats one of the reason for this site

Does anyone have any experience with Red Polls as far as how easy they keep? I understand there is variation within any breed. I just wonder, since they are noted as heavy milkers, if they are able to breed back easy. I guess fertility plays into that. I guess I don't care as much if they look like they are fat as hogs as long as they hold enough condition to keep from getting sick and breed back. Thanks

bigbluegrass":2zf5mwnr said:
Does anyone have any experience with Red Polls as far as how easy they keep? I understand there is variation within any breed. I just wonder, since they are noted as heavy milkers, if they are able to breed back easy. I guess fertility plays into that. I guess I don't care as much if they look like they are fat as hogs as long as they hold enough condition to keep from getting sick and breed back. Thanks

They are very easy keepers and do well on just grass. Breeding back is not an issue. MARC did a study and they were the only breed to breed back with a bcs of 1.

If you don't pull your bull it is not uncommon for them to move up at least one cycle. We had one move up two cycles this year. We have a 14 year old cow that has had a calf within one or two days of her calving date every year for the past several years.

bigbluegrass i like what i have seen in the breed to buy my first red poll bull last week

Have any Red Poll breeders ever considered developing a composite with say, Limousin? The other breed would add growth and genetic variability so selection can make progress. With no Angus content in such a composite it would maximize heterosis. It would seem to me that a breed like Limo or Blonde would be a good choice for a growth breed or if you want to double down on maternal Tarentaise would work. What do you think?

VLS_GUY":1u72ssmp said:
Have any Red Poll breeders ever considered developing a composite with say, Limousin? The other breed would add growth and genetic variability so selection can make progress. With no Angus content in such a composite it would maximize heterosis. It would seem to me that a breed like Limo or Blonde would be a good choice for a growth breed or if you want to double down on maternal Tarentaise would work. What do you think?

We have a breeder in Missouri making composites out of Red Polls and Salers. He sells the steers at a premium.

Because of the non watered down genetics of Red Polls they would make nice composites with any breed.

I would love to try some crossbreeding but with the high demand for registered seed stock I will continue to raise full bloods.

Jovid":pbrdj9wf said:
VLS_GUY":pbrdj9wf said:

We have a breeder in Missouri making composites out of Red Polls and Salers. He sells the steers at a premium.

Because of the non watered down genetics of Red Polls they would make nice composites with any breed.

I would love to try some crossbreeding but with the high demand for registered seed stock I will continue to raise full bloods.
old man here had a herd of red poll,, he AI'D one to a red brahman bull. she had a heifer that my BIL. bought and used, till he sold out.. beautiful F1

Latest posts