Red angus on black baldys

Help Support CattleToday:

CalumetFarms

Reaction score
Anyone used red angus bulls on BA and black baldys (Angus/Hereford)? What sort of calves would you expect? Ultimately I'm looking for some red baldy heifers, perhaps a minority but some. Of the RA/BA/HF likely 75% turn out red?

That doesn't always hold true. I have several black baldys bred to red bulls and have never gotten a red calf.

It's an overall percentage. We are running a BWF 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford bull, with Angus, Hereford and BWF cows. Not the same cross, but color wise the same principle applies. Most of our black cows are heterozygous and so we can and do get some black calves and some red calves from both black and red cows.
Because of the crossbreeding of the bull some calves are solid and some are white faced. Last year we did not have any solid red calves but this year year have 3.

if your cows are 50/50 BA X Hereford and breeding to a RA bull. the average will be 50% red and 50% black. 50% of each will be a heifer so red heifer will be 25%. solid red or RWF will depend on which gene the cow passes on to the calf. keep in mind that every year your calf crop should be 50% male and 50% female and how often does that happen.

That doesn't always hold true. I have several black baldys bred to red bulls and have never gotten a red calf.
you will only get a red calf if the cow has a red gene to pass on to the calf. generations may have passed on the baldy gene but not the red gene. still unusual not to get a red calf from that mix.

Red Angus purebred cattle carry recessive color genes. At the moment I am not sure about all Red cattle.
From whence do you get your bulls?

Latest posts