Red baldie

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
We had a Herford cow bred to a black angus bull deliver a "red baldie" instead of the expected black baldie. In years past the same cow/bull combo has always produced black baldies. How often does the expected blackie baldie outcome produce a red baldie? Granted I haven't seen it in the sunlight but last night at 11pm and again this morning at 5am it sure looked red.

Exact same bull? How many times? Sounds like the bull has a red gene to go along with his black one. Should express itself about half the time. Since the cow is red too it's a 50/50 chance.

sassafras manor said:
We had a Herford cow bred to a black angus bull deliver a "red baldie" instead of the expected black baldie. In years past the same cow/bull combo has always produced black baldies. How often does the expected blackie baldie outcome produce a red baldie? Granted I haven't seen it in the sunlight but last night at 11pm and again this morning at 5am it sure looked red.

We run Red Angus and Red Gelbvieh bulls over primarily red and black Angus cows. We have the same thing happen from year to year. Seems to me your black bull isn't homozygous black. We kill with our baldie calves when we sell. I believe everyone loves those white faces.

Yes same bull and same cow. The calf doesn't look as red as the cow but most definitely isn't anywhere close to black. I spoke with the owner of the bull that runs 45-50 black Angus cows and he said he has had 3 red calves the past few seasons from the same bull. This particular Hereford cow has consistently weaned the heaviest and highest netting calf the last few years so hopefully this calf follows suite.

sassafras manor said:
Yes same bull and same cow. The calf doesn't look as red as the cow but most definitely isn't anywhere close to black. I spoke with the owner of the bull that runs 45-50 black Angus cows and he said he has had 3 red calves the past few seasons from the same bull. This particular Hereford cow has consistently weaned the heaviest and highest netting calf the last few years so hopefully this calf follows suite.

Sounds like the bull definitely carrys a red gene based on what the other farmers results were. If he had 3 red calves over the last 3 seasons he theoretically has 6 cows with a red gene unless one repeated.

If you're looking to make black baldies it'd be better to use a homozygous black bull, or if it's the neighbour's bull expect about half red baldies.

Not quite as good around here. If it's only one and she's your best cow you might not notice much. I'd be mostly concerned if I was breeding a bunch because it'd be splitting up your groups and larger groups sell better.

sassafras manor said:
Any idea how red baldies sell vs black baldies?

We have never left a nickel on the table for our red baldie steer and have really gained a premium for our red baldie heifers.

Picture please? I have seen a few newborn red/Brown red baldy calves finish up black by weaning.

Latest posts