Red Angus Sire Question?

Help Support CattleToday:

W.T":28q2tg79 said:
The one pictured early in this thread

Oh. There had been so many bulls mentioned it was hard to tell the players without a scorecard

W.T":3vzp4q26 said:
If you want replacement heifers here is a outstanding bull RA#1005282 1961 X 6807
http://www.hoffmanaibreeders.com/angusbulls/redrock.html

redrocklg.jpg

6807??

JMichal":3qyrzt70 said:
I haven't heard anyone talk abou this Bull http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/redang ... o=29AR0187

I am looking for something to use on a Red Balancer and possibly some Red Gelbvieh. What is the experiences or knowledge on him. I am not familiar with RA as I have Black Gelbvieh and Balancers. Just have a few Red ones. Looking to go the RA way.

You could go the Red Poll way just as easy. We have semen at Genex.

JMichal":h6r118zs said:
I haven't heard anyone talk abou this Bull http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/redang ... o=29AR0187

I am looking for something to use on a Red Balancer and possibly some Red Gelbvieh. What is the experiences or knowledge on him. I am not familiar with RA as I have Black Gelbvieh and Balancers. Just have a few Red ones. Looking to go the RA way.
We've never kept a daughter from him. His calves are smallish at birth and come very easily and quickly. Calves have weaned in the mid 5s, hung at an average YG 2.5, QG mid choice.

dun":3d90uahg said:
JMichal":3d90uahg said:

We've never kept a daughter from him. His calves are smallish at birth and come very easily and quickly. Calves have weaned in the mid 5s, hung at an average YG 2.5, QG mid choice.

and you probably never should. His CEM, EPD is one of the worst in the breed. Must be a pelvic issue for it to be that bad, similar to Cherokee Canyon, only not as bad. Looks like a good terminal sire tho. I could be wrong but it seems like I heard something messed up about him just can' remember what it was.

3waycross":pspfe5pr said:
His CEM, EPD is one of the worst in the breed. Must be a pelvic issue for it to be that bad, similar to Cherokee Canyon, only not as bad. Looks like a good terminal sire tho. I could be wrong but it seems like I heard something messed up about him just can' remember what it was.

That's exactly how we've used him. Have had some really flashy looking daughters that all went to the feedlot. I only use him on commercial cows.

WT

Send a PM to "Julian" he has a new young bull that is being looked at by a couple studs. It is out of a Beckton bull B571 I believe. He is a good looking bull.

Jeff

S&S Farms":1c6cr9t1 said:
WT

Send a PM to "Julian" he has a new young bull that is being looked at by a couple studs. It is out of a Beckton bull B571 I believe. He is a good looking bull.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff :)

WT, Here is some info on the bull Jeff is referring. His name is Steadfast Boaz T71.

Here is the link to Boaz's online pedigree info:
http://search.redangus.org/animal/1158668

Here is a link to a CattleToday thread that tells more about him as well:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32341&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Boaz is a 2/25/2007 double-grandson of TR Julian LT142. We have contacted Joe and Connie Mushrush about purchasing semen on LT142. They are no longer making it available as they have few units left.

Boaz calved unassisted at 75# out of a first calf heifer. His dam, a daughter of LT142, was the high-selling open heifer at the 2006 Mushrush-Beckton joint sale. Those that have seen her have commented favorably. After she calved Boaz she went into our fall program and didn't have a calf nursing on her after Boaz until 10/4/2008. Last winter we dry-lotted (spoiled) our cows with free choice high quality brome and prairie hay. In April 2008, Boaz's dam was almost embarrassingly fat at 1300 pounds and a BCS of 7. This fall she gave birth to a 3/4 brother to Boaz (BW 74#) on October 4th is holding her shape well, but she's not going to be 1300 pounds this April from nursing her fall calf. Some would refer to her as a moderate cow. She more than knows how to stay in shape when having the resources to do so.

Boaz is sired by a son of LT142, Mushrush Rocket P016, the high gainer of his contemporary group and the high-seller in the 2005 Mushrush-Beckton sale. Unfortunately P016 sired only a few calves before suffering an injury. We are fortunate to have a son of P016.

A few days before Boaz weighed 1005 pounds he produced Ultra Sound data of 3.98% IMF and 11.59 REA. He combines positive carcass EPD's with numbers indicating calving ease and growth: CED of 14 (top 3% of breed), a -2.4 BW EPD (top 12% of breed), and a YW EPD of 64, well above breed average. This comes with a ME EPD of -2 (top 5% of breed). Boaz had a yearling scrotal measurement of 35cm.

His HPG EPD is 14 (top 2% of breed), CEM of 8 (top 4% of breed), STAY of 18 (top 1% of breed) and fat of -0.01 (top 5% of breed).

He may be able to do a lot for quite a few cow herds.

Semen is currently available.

Julian":13eg4uid said:
S&S Farms":13eg4uid said:
WT

Jeff

Thanks Jeff :)

WT, Here is some info on the bull Jeff is referring. His name is Steadfast Boaz T71.

Here is the link to Boaz's online pedigree info:
http://search.redangus.org/animal/1158668

Here is a link to a CattleToday thread that tells more about him as well:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32341&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Boaz is a 2/25/2007 double-grandson of TR Julian LT142. We have contacted Joe and Connie Mushrush about purchasing semen on LT142. They are no longer making it available as they have few units left.

Boaz calved unassisted at 75# out of a first calf heifer. His dam, a daughter of LT142, was the high-selling open heifer at the 2006 Mushrush-Beckton joint sale. Those that have seen her have commented favorably. After she calved Boaz she went into our fall program and didn't have a calf nursing on her after Boaz until 10/4/2008. Last winter we dry-lotted (spoiled) our cows with free choice high quality brome and prairie hay. In April 2008, Boaz's dam was almost embarrassingly fat at 1300 pounds and a BCS of 7. This fall she gave birth to a 3/4 brother to Boaz (BW 74#) on October 4th is holding her shape well, but she's not going to be 1300 pounds this April from nursing her fall calf. Some would refer to her as a moderate cow. She more than knows how to stay in shape when having the resources to do so.

Boaz is sired by a son of LT142, Mushrush Rocket P016, the high gainer of his contemporary group and the high-seller in the 2005 Mushrush-Beckton sale. Unfortunately P016 sired only a few calves before suffering an injury. We are fortunate to have a son of P016.

A few days before Boaz weighed 1005 pounds he produced Ultra Sound data of 3.98% IMF and 11.59 REA. He combines positive carcass EPD's with numbers indicating calving ease and growth: CED of 14 (top 3% of breed), a -2.4 BW EPD (top 12% of breed), and a YW EPD of 64, well above breed average. This comes with a ME EPD of -2 (top 5% of breed). Boaz had a yearling scrotal measurement of 35cm.

His HPG EPD is 14 (top 2% of breed), CEM of 8 (top 4% of breed), STAY of 18 (top 1% of breed) and fat of -0.01 (top 5% of breed).

He may be able to do a lot for quite a few cow herds.

Semen is currently available.

How would you consider the size of his rib-eye? Below average Average or Above Average

Boaz is a very good looking young sire. I have some question;s, Why was his mother moved to a fall calving herd. I would personlly like to see his mother to be a 5 yr old, before i would start getting excited. Longevity is very important as it answers all of the other questions.

W.T":329fwwdf said:
Boaz is a very good looking young sire. I have some question;s, Why was his mother moved to a fall calving herd. I would personlly like to see his mother to be a 5 yr old, before i would start getting excited. Longevity is very important as it answers all of the other questions.

With that poor of a milk EPD it shouldn;t be a concern since he would be a terminal bull anyway.

The milk EPD is just where it needs to be for cattle run in tough country. I do not like to see milk over 15 but do have a few in the high teens and it shows in BCS every fall. Any higher milk and it costs too much in other areas, extra feed,fertility,and longevity. Everything has a cost and extra milk is high dollar stuff.

W.T":ow8mmk79 said:

Boaz's dam was moved to a fall calving herd for a couple reasons. One of them was that we had her being managed by a custom grazer and he melted her down to 900 pounds while she was nursing Boaz as a young calf. When we took her away from him and tried to get her back to a BCS of at least 5 (he took her down to a 3) we tried to A.I. her also. Then we leased a black clean-up bull for her with our other spring females. The black clean-up bull turned out to be a dud and bred NOTHING except got fat and layed in the shade, even though he passed a BSE. The black bull then was leased used in another herd and he bred nothing there as well. We think he "works" at McDonalds now, or he at least showed up there. When we A.I.'ed Boaz's dam in December of 2007 she took. It's not a pretty story, but we sure have a hard time seeing how it was her fault she didn't conceive in mid-2007. You don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

[/quote]
How would you consider the size of his rib-eye? Below average Average or Above Average[/quote]

I would say he is in the average to slightly above-average area. His ultrasound data says more than 1 square inch of Ribeye per one hundred pounds of actual body weight. His REA APD is close to breed average. If a person is in need of a larger ribeye siring bull, why not just use a Charolais, Simmental or Gelbvieh? REA is one of the things those breeds do very well. Our cattle are bred more for maternal attributes that can be a component of a functional economical cowherd. We are not trying to breed terminal Red Angus sires. We are not trying to reinvent the wheel in a different color.

[/quote]With that poor of a milk EPD it shouldn;t be a concern since he would be a terminal bull anyway.[/quote]

Dun, for your area Boaz's milk EPD may not cut it. That is fine as there are many other bulls and also ones in other breeds that would be a better fit. When he weaned off he was more than 50% of his mother's bodyweight. Perhaps in our environment she would have even been better off with a lower milk EPD. There may be more to a milk EPD than milk itself as I have seen quite a few daughters out of very low milk EPD sires that always had a calf with milk smeared all over their muzzles.

Seems like the milk issue is in a lot of cases VooDoo. No matter what you post someone is gonna find fault with it. Either too little or too much. I am starting to think most of those opinions are based on someone's personal experience either good or bad.

I agree with Julian. he is raising western cattle for western forage situations. A lot of these cattle out here don't need high milk EPD's.

Not picking a fight with Dun, but I don't look at his EPD for milk and immediately decide he's nothing but a terminal sire. In fact he has some great EPD's for maternal. HPG is off the chart. ME is outstanding and Stay is excellant. If his only fault is being a little low in milk why not just avoid breeding him to cows that are deficient in the same area. Looks like he could help a lot of RA pedigrees I have looked at .

Just my 2 cents worth.

You all are right, I was looking at him for my environement. I use Lancer as a terminal sire also I want breed average to maybe 10% above or below for all traits more maternal bulls. For terminal bulls I want YW and carcass, milk and calving ease, stayability etc don;t mena diddly for that purpose. When we were raising cows in the desert we never even cared about EPDs, all we cared about was that a cow came in from the range with a calf and was bred back, didn;t matter the size.

Latest posts