Red Angus bull Conquest

Help Support CattleToday:

UG

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Conquest progeny?

I'm curious if they are as easy calving and have as much growth as his EPDs indicate. Also curious to know how his daughters perform as cows (calving ease, rebreeding, teat and udder quality).

Thanks

used him last fall on a group of balancer calves (never touched one), didn't weigh the calves but they were definitely heifer safe as his epds would predict and they grew like weeds. We were fortunate as most all of them were heifers and they're in the replacement pen. Used him again on this years red angus heifers and some cows as well. From what I've heard he is a teat and udder fixer with a CEM of 5 those heifers breed to reasonably choosen bulls shouldn't have problems. I've been thinking about R397K to breed to these heifers but wonder about his docility as I've heard the Epic line can have those issues.
Overall we're very pleased.

Baldie Maker":3081emma said:
I've been thinking about R397K to breed to these heifers but wonder about his docility as I've heard the Epic line can have those issues.
Call Bruce Ketchum of Milk Creek Reds and ask him. Very pleasant to visit with. Bruce used the Epic bull you are talking about for years.

I've been thinking hard about it for quite some time, it's hard to not use a bull with a profile like that and a negative 7 ME aswell.

We used him on all of our Red Angus heifers this year, birth weights were between 60 and 73 lbs, and they have really shot up and are growing well.

Baldie Maker":261drhj2 said:
I've been thinking hard about it for quite some time, it's hard to not use a bull with a profile like that and a negative 7 ME aswell.

His ME is a +5 His HPG is a +7. I do agree he's a hellova bull. Gotta love that 571 bull. He sure semms to have hit a lot of home runs!

Baldie Maker wrote:
I've been thinking about R397K to breed to these heifers but wonder about his docility as I've heard the Epic line can have those issues.

Bruce would not use the bull if there was issues of the cattle having temperment problems. He would cull the bull regardless of pedigree or loss of income from doing so. I saw the bull as a yearling at Bruce's, he was perfectly fine for temperment. If he or is calves showed that, they would be gone, so rest assured on that score. We have an Epic bull as well and himself and his calves are very calm.

3waycross":1dtvfwrt said:
Baldie Maker":1dtvfwrt said:

His ME is a +5 His HPG is a +7. I do agree he's a hellova bull. Gotta love that 571 bull. He sure semms to have hit a lot of home runs!

3way I went off on a tangent abit there and was talking about the R397K bull, although I did get the CEM epd for Conquest wrong it's up to 9 now?

Only used Conquest once so far, came very small (60#) and grew well, seems to have fixed the muscling and capacity issues the dam has thus far. We'll see what she looks like next spring with a calf at her side. Certainly moderates frame as well.

Latest posts