Recipient Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

curtis

Reaction score
What would be a fair price to pay for recipient cows to be put on a ET. program.
Thanks, Curtis

curtis":1taz8120 said:
What would be a fair price to pay for recipient cows to be put on a ET. program.
Thanks, Curtis

A recip? 300 bucks. Less if possible. And in Canada it is very possible.

Heck I like to use dairy - lots of milk and cheap. Calve her out - let her raise it and then can the beach! If lucky you can even recover most of the cost.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread. Recips are throw aways in my mind.

I will go away now.

:oops:

Bez>

Everyone likes to save a buck, but I would sure get some good cows based on this criteria- 1. disposition--you are going to have to get the cows in and give numerous shots, as well as calve them out, make sure they are manageable. 2. milk--as long as you are going to the work of putting in embryos, make sure the cow has enough milk to raise a calf. 3. complete health program--know what you're buying has had regular vaccinations to prevent disease problems.
A lot of guys down around here will buy some good middle aged bred cows in january-february, calve them out, either leave the calves on or pull them off and sell them as calves at birth.

Let me reword my ? What would you pay to use someone else,s cows to be recipient cows for your Et program.

Nebraska Sandhills":sqs8iu8y said:
Everyone likes to save a buck, but I would sure get some good cows based on this criteria- 1. disposition--you are going to have to get the cows in and give numerous shots, as well as calve them out, make sure they are manageable. 2. milk--as long as you are going to the work of putting in embryos, make sure the cow has enough milk to raise a calf. 3. complete health program--know what you're buying has had regular vaccinations to prevent disease problems.
A lot of guys down around here will buy some good middle aged bred cows in january-february, calve them out, either leave the calves on or pull them off and sell them as calves at birth.

Tough to to argue with your comments. That is why I like 4-6 year old dairy - they fill the bill easily in all aspects. Especially as they have been handled a lot.

Funny thing is - when they calve out they love those calves as good as any - and they put out the milk.

I was worried about them having a stout beef calf initially - but those Ayreshire and Holsteins seem to handle it quite well.

I know lots would not do this, but I toss the cows after weaning. I live in dairy country - they are a dime a dozen here.

Regards,

Bez

I've been approached with the idea of someone putting their embryos in my cows. I told them they would pay for everthing up to the point the embryo was put in, plus the vet check, plus $750.

dun

I have given, in past $200 over market at 5 1/2 months, I paid all expenses up to and including transplanting, Thanks DFF

Quality Cattle":9akoc2lt said:
Bez>":9akoc2lt said:
Nebraska Sandhills":9akoc2lt said:

Tough to to argue with your comments. That is why I like 4-6 year old dairy - they fill the bill easily in all aspects. Especially as they have been handled a lot.

Funny thing is - when they calve out they love those calves as good as any - and they put out the milk.

I was worried about them having a stout beef calf initially - but those Ayreshire and Holsteins seem to handle it quite well.

I know lots would not do this, but I toss the cows after weaning. I live in dairy country - they are a dime a dozen here.

Regards,

Bez

I know of several angus breeders who have gotten johnes from dairy recips you might want to re-think that approach.

Not from the folks I deal with. Pretty high standards. I see that set of barns nearly every day. And I know the veterinarian that is there on a herd health contract - regularly. He comes on a schedule - NOT when the cow is down and dying.

I do not get the milked out bags of bones that are culled for condition - I get the animals that do not make the mega thousands of pounds for whatever reason. But they sure have enough milk for a calf!!

Your comments are quite valid and have already been addressed to the herd owner, his herd manager and the veterinarian.

It is extremely rare to even hear of this disease in my part of Canada - can happen - but personally I have never seen it or heard of it in our area.

Bez>

$900 for the weaned calf, or $1300 for the recip/embryo, once she's at the six week point.

dun":368pf9gw said:
I've been approached with the idea of someone putting their embryos in my cows. I told them they would pay for everthing up to the point the embryo was put in, plus the vet check, plus $750.

dun

I saw an add last week , they were paying $1,000 for weaned calves.

WORANCH":aq5fmmc3 said:
dun":aq5fmmc3 said:

dun

I saw an add last week , they were paying $1,000 for weaned calves.

That's even better. If I'm asked again I'll jack up the price to a grand.

dun

the dairy cross cows are best for recipe cows.because they milk heavy an raise a heavy calf.ive heard where you pay $900 to $1100 pre recipe at weaning for the calf.i know some guys that like to buy their recipe cows.an they like beef X dairy breeds if they can find them.

the cheapest you will fidn is around $1000. Most people have the option to turn these calves down if they are not top notch calves. I use my best cows for recips, registered and commercial. Your recip is raising your best calves ten fold. If she won't raise a big calf, you are waisting that embryo. The calf has to have a good WW or it has started off bad. Some of my best recips are my best cows, my embryos are from my top end cows, they need to be good calf raisers

A lot do it on a premium basis. Ex. they'll pay to put the embryos in, drugs, etc. and will buy the calves back in the fall at a premium, such as 25 cents over market for bulls, 20 cents over for heifers or something to that effect. Some people have clauses saying the calves have to be over a certain weight for the premium to kick in, such as anything under 550 just gets commercial price. The money has to be decent to make up for the lower conception rates and putting the recips that don't catch back a cycle or two.

Bez>":1hutvomy said:
curtis":1hutvomy said:
Thanks, Curtis

A recip? 300 bucks. Less if possible. And in Canada it is very possible.

Heck I like to use dairy - lots of milk and cheap. Calve her out - let her raise it and then can the beach! If lucky you can even recover most of the cost.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread. Recips are throw aways in my mind.

I will go away now.

:oops:

Bez>

Bez, I am not going against what you say, yes, diary cows have good milk, but to much milk will give scours to the ET calves and you could wined up losing most of your good ET calves. I like a good angus cow as a recip, nothing registered, just a good milking cow with nice teats.

THG

I have had calves with scours before and have tried a variety of treatments.....but lose most of a calf crop to scours??? Not likely. I don't agree with Bez's dismissal of recipients as "throwaways"; BUT during the great Government dairy buyout of the late 80s a lot of Holsteins got run through the yards. We bought some....HECK almost everybody around here had some. They milk A LOT. They milk too much. On Grass they don't milk enough to make a calf sick. The problem with a Holstein is getting her to breed back and stay in decent condition. Calves dying from scours???? that SHOULDN'T be a major concern.

curtis":1uk1znwa said:
Let me reword my ? What would you pay to use someone else,s cows to be recipient cows for your Et program.
I don't know the price but I am telling you from a very expensive hard learned experience that you need all recips vet checked by a really good cow vet to ensure that they are worthy to be recips.And use only Good Healthy Heifers.When I say heifers I mean young ones some of you people call a third calver "my heifer".A heifer is a first calver under 2yr's of age after that they are a cow.Believe me a 300 dollar C section is cheaper than losing the expensive embryo.If you pick the right cows they will probably not have any delivery problems.
Not to be nasty to anyone but there is alot of BS spued on this site and alot of people talk about stuff they have absolutely no clue of.Flushing and transplanting is expensive and those who say get an old milk cow have never put up their own money!!!!!!

I would most likely use good hereford recips. Not because I raise them, but because I think they do a great job maternally yet are cheaper then the black cattle

We have used a Gernsey as a recip. She had one
blind quarter. She had the ET calf and we got her
to adopt another one...feeding them on grass alone
& doing a great job.

Latest posts