Ready for pickup.

Help Support CattleToday:

He hung at 836. View attachment 26448View attachment 26449Rib eyes were small but he was only 22 months and came off a smaller frame heifer bull. Ended up with 450 lbs take home. They trimmed a lot of fat.
You coulda sold his semen as "American wagyu". I wonder how the steaks would have looked with half the time on feed. Still a lot of trim, or would the meat have marbled first?

You coulda sold his semen as "American wagyu". I wonder how the steaks would have looked with half the time on feed. Still a lot of trim, or would the meat have marbled first?
I don't think he would have marbled as well on half the feed time. The calves I have for next fall will be F1 Wagyu. Can't wait to see how those steaks look. I have a F2 Wagyu heifer (will be a cow by then) that will go to the butcher next march.

I like how he hung at 66.8%. I don't like the take home of 53.8%of hanging weight. Any recommendations on how to still get the marble but not so much fat trim. Ribeyes are a little small also. I know genetics play a part on the ribeyes but any tips to work on getting ribeye bigger?

I like how he hung at 66.8%. I don't like the take home of 53.8%of hanging weight. Any recommendations on how to still get the marble but not so much fat trim. Ribeyes are a little small also. I know genetics play a part on the ribeyes but any tips to work on getting ribeye bigger?
Biggest ribeye I've ever seen was on a 1300# Holstein. I can't remember the exact figure but I know it was over fifteen square inches. I've seen 800# Angus with less than 4 square inches. Genetics play a big part I'm sure. I had a brahmousin heifer I bred Belgian blue and the resulting bull calf dressed out at 752 with a live weight of 1050. Not marbled like yours but okay and definitely more ribeye than most comparable weight animals.

I like how he hung at 66.8%. I don't like the take home of 53.8% of hanging weight.
Because butchers charge by hanging weight there is no incentive to lose any pounds of fat while butchering.
Because the vast majority never check take home weights, I think take home % is most often over estimated.

Don't look at the "what are you eating" thread tomorrow night then.
I'll BE LOOKING!!

as far as bigger ribeye, Maybe try 2 more months of growth/feed....
It'll be great either way!
They look very very nice. I've already eaten, but I'd still eat one of those RIGHT NOW!

My last one hung up at 630lbs.
And completely filled my freezer. I don't wanna know take home weight. I'm happy as it is

Latest posts