Ranch or Farm.....

Help Support CattleToday:

There aren't too many "ranchers" around here. Most people are considered farmers and work farms.

When this topic is discussed around here it is often defined as: A Ranch is ground that you don't live on but raise a crop on usually livestock, whereas, A farm is a place that you reside on and raise your crop, typically crops with livestock not a major component.

Over time no one really only farms the home place anymore, with needing more and more land to be profitable farmers are farming the highway more and more, therefore this definition is going the wayside.

Now here is an exception: I have a good friend that is a Florida transplant he runs a few hundred acres (small by comparison to most farmers) and he calls his place a ranch, he no longer runs cattle now only crops but still calls it a ranch. Again he is a transplant, still a half way decent guy though.

RSC

Best way to determine if you own a farm or a ranch is do you fill out a schedule F or schedule R with your income taxes. ;-)

Leboeuf-
Far as I'm concerned....If you sign the checks around your place you are entitiled to call it whatever you like.

J. T.":2r4huj2b said:
Being from Alabama, I prefer PLANTATION! 8)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I was wandering when this would enter the discussion. 8) One day I hope to have a plantation. Got the quail, timber, deer and other things neccessary for this transformation but just don't have enough cash to buy the high dollar bird dogs to put me over the hump. :oops: Of course, no one in the family ever did so I guess I will remain a dirt farmer like my ancestors who tended to work beside imported labor as I do. :nod:

Was talking to guy at work the other day who said he grew up on a ranch. I pictured thousands of acres and hundreds of head of livestock. Turns out they owned a forty with a few head and his mom and dad both worked in town. Just goes to show you how different people perceive things. In the end I agree with Sugarman. If you're paying the bills you call it anything you want.

leboeuf":dghklf0n said:
Ok, stupid question, however I told a couple of friends about the property I have under contract. I referred to it as a ranch (116 acres), he argued it was a farm due to the small acreage size. Is he full of it or can you call it whatever? :dunce:

I can't speak for other areas, but around here it's a farm if you raise crops. If you raise livestock, then it's a ranch. If you raise both, then you're a farmer/rancher. The only thing acreage determines is whether you can/will be able to quit your day job, and how much you're going to have pay for fencing if livestock is involved. :lol:

Jogeephus":13b0dc59 said:
J. T.":13b0dc59 said:
Being from Alabama, I prefer PLANTATION! 8)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I was wandering when this would enter the discussion. 8) One day I hope to have a plantation. Got the quail, timber, deer and other things neccessary for this transformation but just don't have enough cash to buy the high dollar bird dogs to put me over the hump. :oops: Of course, no one in the family ever did so I guess I will remain a dirt farmer like my ancestors who tended to work beside imported labor as I do. :nod:

hahaha...I love it. :banana:

Latest posts