Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2xugv90u said:
GB what was the level on Livingston today lot of water falling up north.
Livingston doesn't have an emergency spillway either does it ?
No emergency spillway on Livingston Dam--the 12 tainter gates open in relation to the amount of water entering the lake. They are all currently opened, but only partially open. There are 24 dams on the Trinity and it's tributaries in Texas--all but one are at 100% capacity and the exception is Lake Halbert which is at 94.4%. (Halbert Lake is on a secondary Trinity tributary--a creek south of Corsicana--creek would normally feed Richland Chambers Reservoir, which itself is a dammed up creek--it's water flows into the Trinity about 20 miles West of Cayuga according to Google Maps.)
You can get up to date information of any Texas reservoir or River Basin at:
http://www.waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

Up to date hydrology graphs and river stage forecasts can be found at the link below (just put your cursor on the dot on any river and it will pop up a little graph or click on the dot of your choice and a page will open for that gage station)
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=fwd

Lake Livingston Today: 2015-05-30
%capacity-100.0
Level-132.58
Height above conservation pool-1.58'
Reservoir storage-1,922,823ac ft
Conservation storage-1,785,348ac ft
Conservation capacity 1,785,348
Surface area- 86,001 acres

Livingston can open it's gates a LOT more, but as with all flood control, they always, have to be careful about scouring out the concrete spillway and of course flooding everyone down below.

Last weekend we had some "weather events" come through here.. a town about an hour away (the other side of a couple low mountains), got nearly 2" in an hour on dry ground that just washed away.. I'm praying the weather just makes up it's mind... If it's going to not be nice enough to cut hay, rain, or I'm going to have to make another irrigation pass

Here's some of the shots of Cache creek's flooding
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3087665

Dam we've made a dam mess of this country with all these dams. All because of us, the cancer of the earth.

Nesikep":388b51t1 said:
Last weekend we had some "weather events" come through here.. a town about an hour away (the other side of a couple low mountains), got nearly 2" in an hour on dry ground that just washed away.. I'm praying the weather just makes up it's mind... If it's going to not be nice enough to cut hay, rain, or I'm going to have to make another irrigation pass

Here's some of the shots of Cache creek's flooding
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3087665

Water water water. Like women, too much of a good thing can be hazardous to yur health..

Justice Minister Suzanne Anton announced Monday that residents can apply for disaster financial assistance.

The government will pay 80 per cent of damage exceeding $1,000 to a maximum $300,000 to accepted claimants, but it won't cover damage to yards and landscaping.

The financial disaster assistance aid is available to homeowners, tenants, small business owners, farmers, charities and local governments who were unable to obtain insurance.

:shock: That would be billions and billions of $$ here in Texas this year--or just this month.

(My cows gotta be wondering "will we ever get to walk or lay down on dry ground again?" )

highgrit":2l405kpt said:
Dam we've made a dam mess of this country with all these dams. All because of us, the cancer of the earth.
These dams have saved many a life and much property by being able to hold back flood waters and then allow it to come out at a manageable level instead of just allowing it to run wild. A dam and a reservoir on the Blanco River might have prevented all that chaos and death but the water came through uncontrolled....42 feet high !!!!!!

TexasBred":1y64c8mo said:
highgrit":1y64c8mo said:
These dams have saved many a life and much property by being able to hold back flood waters and then allow it to come out at a manageable level instead of just allowing it to run wild. A dam and a reservoir on the Blanco River might have prevented all that chaos and death but the water came through uncontrolled....42 feet high !!!!!!

I believe in natural selection TB. The dams are a major reason that our environment is so fragile. A lot of people have bought and sold property that sound of been left alone. I have lived my whole life in flood plains. And we've never been flooded out, and won't ever be. If you live in a flood plain you shouldn't be able to get flood insurance. IMO

highgrit":37me8xz4 said:
TexasBred":37me8xz4 said:
highgrit":37me8xz4 said:

I believe in natural selection TB. The dams are a major reason that our environment is so fragile. A lot of people have bought and sold property that sound of been left alone. I have lived my whole life in flood plains. And we've never been flooded out, and won't ever be. If you live in a flood plain you shouldn't be able to get flood insurance. IMO
On the contrary tho, if you live in a flood plain, you are requiredto have federal flood insurance if you have a loan or mortgage. (at least a minimum policy is required by the lender--they want their investment protected even if it is raw land)

TexasBred":satw93s3 said:
highgrit":satw93s3 said:

Forty years ago the only thing out there where cows, goats and deer. The area has become a playground and almost
suburban with mini ranches along the Blanco. That whole area San Marcos to Wimberly is covered in homes.
That 42 feet won't be the highest as the record before or the one after. Sooner or later Ma Nature will dump more rain than
this event.
That is no different in the nuts taking about the Ike Dike from Freeport to High Island.
Like they are going to stop the storm surge it will flood everything worse around the levee as the current one does.
We take inherent risk no matter where we live as tragic as it was for these families and I know one that lost family members. We will never out engineer Ma Nature.
You would have the people screaming why do I have to give up my land to build a lake to protect people that build on the river.

CB, I read a very lengthy article one time about the Army Corp's Old River Control Structure and Atchafalya/Miss River. Old River is the crown jewel of the corps of engineers' Mississippi River levee system, but even they privately admit, it's days are numbered.
I've seen it lots of times, and it's an impressive looking achievement, but it's not in doubt the Miss is going to take the more direct route to the gulf--only thing in doubt is when.

Click the below paragraph--it's worth the read.
The Corps had built Old River Control to control just about as much as was passing through it. In mid-March, when the volume began to approach that amount, curiosity got the best of Raphael G. Kazmann, author of a book called "Modern Hydrology" and professor of civil engineering at Louisiana State University. Kazmann got into his car, crossed the Mississippi on the high bridge at Baton Rouge, and made his way north to Old River. He parked, got out, and began to walk the structure. An extremely low percentage of its five hundred and sixty-six feet eradicated his curiosity. "That whole miserable structure was vibrating," he recalled in 1986, adding that he had felt as if he were standing on a platform at a small rural train station when "a fully loaded freight goes through." Kazmann opted not to wait for the caboose. "I thought, This thing weighs two hundred thousand tons. When two hundred thousand tons vibrates like this, this is no place for R. G. Kazmann. I got into my car, turned around, and got the hell out of there. I was just a professor—and, thank God, not responsible."

Mother Nature will win, she has more time than we do.

Forty years ago the only thing out there where cows, goats and deer. The area has become a playground and almost
suburban with mini ranches along the Blanco. That whole area San Marcos to Wimberly is covered in homes.
That 42 feet won't be the highest as the record before or the one after. Sooner or later Ma Nature will dump more rain than
this event.
That is no different in the nuts taking about the Ike Dike from Freeport to High Island.
Like they are going to stop the storm surge it will flood everything worse around the levee as the current one does.
We take inherent risk no matter where we live as tragic as it was for these families and I know one that lost family members. We will never out engineer Ma Nature.
You would have the people screaming why do I have to give up my land to build a lake to protect people that build on the river.[/quote]
You :clap: :clap: :tiphat:
By the way I sprayed today. Na na bo bo stick your heads in dodo ;-)

We have finished the month of May with a grand total of 24.7 inches of rain here at the home place.

Mesonet for Oklahoma shows Lane,Ok taking the top honors for total May rainfall of 28.17 inches for the state of Ok.

We have water on top of our water- just unbelievable. :roll:

beefmasters":18meaaft said:
We have finished the month of May with a grand total of 24.7 inches of rain here at the home place.

Mesonet for Oklahoma shows Lane,Ok taking the top honors for total May rainfall of 28.17 inches for the state of Ok.

By my rain gauge we are at nearly 50 inches for the year. That is 10 inches shy of our yearly average.
February was our driest month with less than 5 inches.
Haven't seen the official numbers for the year and I am sure there are areas that have received more.
Been almost 24 hours without rain start of the next drought is here.

Caustic Burno":3uec905g said:
beefmasters":3uec905g said:

By my rain gauge we are at nearly 50 inches for the year. That is 10 inches shy of our yearly average.
February was our driest month with less than 5 inches.
Haven't seen the official numbers for the year and I am sure there are areas that have received more.
USGS/NOAA says the average annual rainfall for Lake Livingston is 38-41 inches per year. They are certainly above that # already.

We are not getting rain in my part of Middle GA. It is very dry. Pastures are really needing rain now. It seems to miss us every day. Hopefully it will come soon.

Caustic Burno":3h245pcf said:
From the movies..
texas_right_now_540.jpg

About so Greybeard. Our yearly average is around 38 inches, neighbor says he has had 34 so far this year.