Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to take my kids fishing on upper Yegua Creek a few miles south of where it crosses the highway near Dime Box. I lived just west of Caldwell for 2 years. I spent some memorable nights in the Lake Somerville parks back when I was single and actively engaged in my unalienable right to the happiness of pursuit. ;-)

greybeard":h8pqza8x said:
I used to take my kids fishing on upper Yegua Creek a few miles south of where it crosses the highway near Dime Box. I lived just west of Caldwell for 2 years. I spent some memorable nights in the Lake Somerville parks back when I was single and actively engaged in my unalienable right to the happiness of pursuit. ;-)

It can be a great place to duck hunt too.

slick4591":15eap2iy said:

Looks about right.
What I can't understand is all the people building homes where they know it will flood sooner or later.
Most of them build in a creek or river bottom on a slab.
Build a half million dollar home on the banks of the pretty little creek that gets 20 feet deep in a flood
or hurricane.
There is a city on the coast south of Houston they are building million dollar homes inside the ponding
area that all the pumps in a hurricane pump too.
Like it is never going to flood and they will be the first ones.

James T":2h5k131q said:
Somerville Spillway about an hour ago.

Here's what 72,600 cu ft/second looks like under Lake Livingston dam today:
55676de4eb7e9.image.jpg

I didn't take that picture, but I drove under the dam today--it was kinda scary.
Railway bridge at Liberty is closed--water is just below the rails and ties.
Supposed to start back raining tonight and continue thru the weekend.

That's a scary scene GB. I'm sure a lot of folks will see damaging waters soon if they haven't already. Depending on how much rain Somerville gets over the next few days, the spillover may not cause too many problems if they don't open any gates. Most homes in the area are on top of rises and hills so there hasn't been many reported problems so far. That might change real quick if the streams, creeks and the Brazos go over their banks.

Caustic Burno":224rwsff said:
slick4591":224rwsff said:

Looks about right.
What I can't understand is all the people building homes where they know it will flood sooner or later.
Build a half million dollar home on the banks of the pretty little creek that gets 20 feet deep in a flood
or hurricane.
There is a city on the coast south of Houston they are building million dollar homes inside the ponding
Me either, I see a house built in the bottom of something and have to wonder.
I farm where it floods but my house is on a hill.

Caustic Burno":2uv0v83m said:
Looks about right.
or hurricane.

Yep--you've seen this one before--before and after Ike--Crystal Beach on Bolivar Peninsula Tx.
6a00d8341cd2ac53ef010534b30d2e970c-500pi

The very same area today:
cbtoday_zpsl1ykeeih.jpg

This is not funny any more.
Haven't got the first hay cutting and if it quit raining yesterday it would be 2 to 3 weeks
before the fields are dry enough to put a tractor on.
I got the FWD mule stuck yesterday on top of the hill checking fence.
The ground is so saturated it is just mush.

1 inch this morning so far. 80% chance tomorrow and then the chances diminish, or so they say. Some t-posts that required the FEL to get out of the ground a month ago, I pulled out by hand a couple of days ago.

James T":1b1cwyob said:
1 inch this morning so far. 80% chance tomorrow and then the chances diminish, or so they say. Some t-posts that required the FEL to get out of the ground a month ago, I pulled out by hand a couple of days ago.
:lol: I did that last week too....but their are still some stuck tight. However I wouldn't venture out to where most of them are than I'm ready to pull.

Rained yesterday afternoon and again before daylight this morning. Once was a time it took 45 - 60 days for that to happen.....

Small storm blew thru at 53 MPH yesterday afternoon dumping ping pong size hail and 1/2" rain. Another one hit this morning around 3 but didn't do a whole lot. If the weather is correct, we'll have some sunshine next week.

I cannot imagine hail that large much less softball size that is sometimes reported. Have lived in Texas all my life and have never seen it that large. At 53 mph, hail that large could kill. hope you were under cover and your roof weathered it.

1982vett":4mcaq68c said:
James T":4mcaq68c said:
:lol: I did that last week too....but their are still some stuck tight. However I wouldn't venture out to where most of them are than I'm ready to pull.

Rained yesterday afternoon and again before daylight this morning. Once was a time it took 45 - 60 days for that to happen.....

Those posts came out good but a couple of them reminded me that my back was not as good as it used to be.

James T":rxu70huo said:
I cannot imagine hail that large much less softball size that is sometimes reported. Have lived in Texas all my life and have never seen it that large. At 53 mph, hail that large could kill. hope you were under cover and your roof weathered it.

The wife was picking up a prescription at the drive-thru pharmacy when it hit. She stayed under the awning until it was over. The house is a couple miles north and she text me that it was coming. Just got my truck under our carport when it hit. After it was over I was checking things and found where it must have hit the blinker switch on the tractor as the left one was on. We have a metal roof, so besides a few limbs out of the pecan tree all is well.

Latest posts