RAIN OR DROUGHT

Help Support CattleToday:

K5PWB

Reaction score
Which is better lots of rain like we have been getting in SE Texas or the summer drought?

Right now, I am thinking summer drought is better.

It has been too wet to bale hay until last weekend.

The flies are the worst I have seen

During all the rain, the cows were walking around on the wet soggy ground for almost two months. I am lucky we did not get any foot rot.

During the summer drought I have water troughs and all the water they need comes out of the faucet. If the grass gets to dry and there is nothing to eat, I can get my hands on some hay at a reasonable price until fall.

I am referring to the summer drought, not a yearly drought like the one we had a few years back. Obviously that is worst.

Nothing grows in a drought. If it's a wet year at least you can grow grass.

Just try living in an area that gets both in a year...every year.
Middle of May we had to quit planting beans because it was getting to wet. Now the middle of June we had to quit because it was getting to dry.

Smile and take what you get, when you get it.

The flies are the worst I have seen.

We have had more than adequate rain. I use IGR in my mineral and spray permethrin. Horn flies are under control but I have never seen so many houseflies on the cattle. Permethrin does not seem to deter them.

I sure wish you could send us some of that rain, we are DRY. I am fixing to start feeding hay in June, that is unheard of here. Shouldn't have to feed hay till December.

Drought is the worst, try 2 years with no rain, lot of ranchers sold out never got back in, never heard of selling out because of too much rain.

we always say here that a dry summer will worry a farmer but a wet one will starve him to death. with the rain and all the humidty everything rots

Ol' 243":ueng0fk4 said:
I sure wish you could send us some of that rain, we are DRY. I am fixing to start feeding hay in June, that is unheard of here. Shouldn't have to feed hay till December.

My husband's cousin lives in Pisgah & it went from one extreme to another. Never got a chance to bale his hay because it was too wet and now it's all burned & he had to buy hay for the year - and like you, starting soon.

I'll take too much rain over drought. Around here the flies are just as bad during a drought but a drought + strong KS wind = constant runny eyes, regardless of vaccinating, medicated feed, spraying . . . . The one positive in a summer drought is not as many ticks.

As dry as we are in my part of GA, I would have to say rain. Heat and drought are terrible right now. We had plenty of rain last summer, but doesn't look like we will get that much this year.

King, I feel your pain. We got finished up with our planting in time to get everything up, but it's aggravating to have perfect stands of knee high corn rolled up like pineapples at 8:00 in the morning. Oh well, if it was easy then everyone would do it.

drought.
Some grass still grows here in hot dry summer. I have hay I can feed and my ponds never completely dry up, and they'll scrounge enough weeds and brush to stay alive even if I fed nothing at all. I can still work, fix fence, spray weeds, mow in drought, but when it gets like this--I can't do anything for weeks but watch it.
DSC00199_zpsvr1xbydc.jpg

I'll take the rain every time. Of course almost all of our ground is high and sandy, the worse thing too much rain does for us is wash out our roads...

My brother lives six miles from here but in the river bottom - he might not agree with me on this one.

Latest posts