GMO or Non GMO?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not too keen on the growth implants and herbicides being in our food. I'm not sure that it does any damage in the tiny amounts we eat but do think it does something. I'm definitely not worried enough to grow a garden though. The funny thing about growth hormones is how chickens are probably the worst and it's what people eat to stay healthy. 🤷
What growth hormones are chickens fed?

Like some said, GMO is not selection pressure but changed and added genetics. For example: Canola is not an original plant. It is rape that was irradiated to change the oils to be able to be tolerated by the human taste buds. The recent covid vaccines are like the GMOs and created quite an uprising of things changed without known consequences. So if you add a baboon gene or a rabbit gene to a human embryo, that is GMO. If you marry a good looking woman (highly selected) to have beautiful kids, that is not GMO.

And if you marry a woman that looks a heck of a lot like a baboon?

It should be understood, that humans share dna with LOT of different plants and animals.

"Humans share more than 50 percent of their genetic information with plants and animals in general. They share about 80 percent with cows, 61 percent with bugs such as fruit flies. You'll even find human DNA in a banana – about 60 percent!"

Can we use the term "grass-finished" as opposed to "grass-fed"? All cattle are grass-fed. (it is a pet peeve of mine).
This is correct. It was a big talking point in the articles I read. I think allot of folks might like grass fed because they are actually getting grain finished. The package has to say graas fed - grass finished to be the real deal. We all know how shady marketing can be on an uninformed consumer.

Last edited:
Like some said, GMO is not selection pressure but changed and added genetics. For example: Canola is not an original plant. It is rape that was irradiated to change the oils to be able to be tolerated by the human taste buds. The recent covid vaccines are like the GMOs and created quite an uprising of things changed without known consequences. So if you add a baboon gene or a rabbit gene to a human embryo, that is GMO. If you marry a good looking woman (highly selected) to have beautiful kids, that is not GMO.

Absolutely. GMO and herbicides allow no-till and minimum till. Saving fuel, water, labor, energy, and costs. Less soil loss, better soil conditions/quality. Alternative is plowing/disking of the soil with multiple instances of mechanical weed removal. That can be an army of people with hoes or tractors with cultivators. And either additional water or reduced yields to compensate for the moisture loss. GMO and herbicide use is green technology and environmentally friendly.

If they cause a loss in reproductive ability, that might be ok. We certainly have too many people to feed if we go back to pre GMO crop methods. Need a smaller population if we are going to feed them all. Might require every family to grow their own food. Might help with obesity though.
You are absolutely correct that there are far too many people.

The implants that we give our calves are an estrogen and a progesterone, the same active ingredients as the Pill. It is incoherent that we talk about the impact of hormones in our food but deny the impact of the giving the same hormones directly or through breast milk.
I think just as the athletes taking steroids is bad, giving women and girls hormones that make their bodies think their pregnant is also bad for society.

I think a lot of folks would be less picky if they were more hungry. Most don't really care if the cow ate the seeds of C4 grass rather than the leaf of a C3 grass. The problem is things become trendy, they talk about it on the View (or some such) and then all the unknowledgeable think its better. Frank Perdue used to say his chickens eat an all vegetarian diet. He does this because that's what people want to hear because the TV made them scared of animal by-product feed ingredients. Most haven't seen chickens fight over a frog or a mouse or an egg.

I think a lot of folks would be less picky if they were more hungry. Most don't really care if the cow ate the seeds of C4 grass rather than the leaf of a C3 grass. The problem is things become trendy, they talk about it on the View (or some such) and then all the unknowledgeable think its better. Frank Perdue used to say his chickens eat an all vegetarian diet. He does this because that's what people want to hear because the TV made them scared of animal by-product feed ingredients. Most haven't seen chickens fight over a frog or a mouse or an egg.
The all veg or all plant diet on chicken feed bags always makes me laugh. How many bugs do you think a free roaming chicken eats a day? Not to mention all those you listed. Anything small that moves is on the menu, they love baby birds that blow out of trees after a strong wind, snakes, you name it. They're not herbivores.

The implants that we give our calves are an estrogen and a progesterone, the same active ingredients as the Pill. It is incoherent that we talk about the impact of hormones in our food but deny the impact of the giving the same hormones directly or through breast milk.
I think just as the athletes taking steroids is bad, giving women and girls hormones that make their bodies think their pregnant is also bad for society.
Just as an outside comment... Women are told to not take the pill and breast feed... at least that was the policy 50 years ago when my son was born... if you wanted to go on the pill to prevent another pregnancy soon after having a baby, at the 6 week check up back then... you were told to not breast feed....
I'd rather the women take birth control pills than to have that many more unwanted babies... bad enough we are getting that many unwanted "immigrants" pouring across the border added to the population.... well, maybe all the babies would be better...

Yes, it was to tell people what they wanted to hear... and technically he was right... the chickens are "FED" an all vegetarian diet... what they scrounged on their own was their "personal business".... haha

The one issue that was recent was not hormones but arsenic was added to the feed. It increased growth and did not harm the chickens. But it could be an issue for the application of a lot of litter per acre over the years.
Arsenilic acid is an appetite stimulant. They used it in chicken feed 50 years ago... that is why it increased growth, because it activated the appetite to eat more... it was right on the label on the chicken feed bag...

Just as an outside comment... Women are told to not take the pill and breast feed... at least that was the policy 50 years ago when my son was born... if you wanted to go on the pill to prevent another pregnancy soon after having a baby, at the 6 week check up back then... you were told to not breast feed....
I'd rather the women take birth control pills than to have that many more unwanted babies... bad enough we are getting that many unwanted "immigrants" pouring across the border added to the population.... well, maybe all the babies would be better...
Actually the rate of unwanted and single mother pregnancies has increased since the introduction of the pill. The pill isn't perfect especially when the woman doesn't want it to be.