Talk me out of it or into it

Help Support CattleToday:

50/50Farms

Reaction score
I'm in the wrong part of Texas off and on for about a month or so, working on some stuff down here on my FIL's place, been trying to help with his hog problem as well but these night hunts are starting to drag the bones a bit after a day's work. Thinking about swinging by my GMIL's place to pick up some wire and building a figure six trap or two. I have some free time so I might could monetize it and haul them to sell them or at the least I could press the corn to them for the seven days and then pop them. Tell me what you think.

You are on the right track imo. I've done some hog control and there is no silver bullet. It takes hitting them from multiple sides and now with fuel and corn and otger things so expensive it has to be done efficiently and effectively. I was fortunate to learn to trap when corn and gas was cheap and hog prices were high. It would have been an expensive learning curve now day.

We do not have a market for selling hogs here any more that justifies hauling them in. What they pay won't even cover the fuel much less the hassel. We kill them and stack them for the coyotes.

I'm not sure what the laws are now but at one time you could not sell a live pig and it be transported. We had a large pen, like almost an acre. At first I let a couple people come get them then I realized that was a bad idea. I started asking when and where they wanted them delivered. Technically they paid me for delivery of a free pig, not the pig. It was more hassel than it was worth IMO. Most people want it on a plate with a side of potato salad and still don't want to pay.

You are on the right track imo. I've done some hog control and there is no silver bullet. It takes hitting them from multiple sides and now with fuel and corn and otger things so expensive it has to be done efficiently and effectively. I was fortunate to learn to trap when corn and gas was cheap and hog prices were high. It would have been an expensive learning curve now day.

We do not have a market for selling hogs here any more that justifies hauling them in. What they pay won't even cover the fuel much less the hassel. We kill them and stack them for the coyotes.

I'm not sure what the laws are now but at one time you could not sell a live pig and it be transported. We had a large pen, like almost an acre. At first I let a couple people come get them then I realized that was a bad idea. I started asking when and where they wanted them delivered. Technically they paid me for delivery of a free pig, not the pig. It was more hassel than it was worth IMO. Most people want it on a plate with a side of potato salad and still don't want to pay.
You speak truths. Trap, kill them while feeding them by order of size and dress them over the week and keep the best eater for me and give the rest to the needy?

On general hog removal I feel your pain. I have NV and rarely use it.

Typically I like to start with a trap. Catch the pack hogs and easy ones out first. Its the quickest way to minimize the damage.

I have only a couple rules for traps. No floors. No pieces you have to step on to trigger. The next one is not a rule as much as a suggestion. The Wexford trap is a waste of materials and time. Figure 6 or box trap are my go to. If at all possible try to avoid trapping where they are feeding. Don't throw a trap in the middle of hog roots in a pasture. Follow the trail back and see if there is a tank, low area, brush etc they like to move through or hang out at. Try to get on the edge of that area. Next to tanks in shaded area is my ho to. If there are hogs, they will be there. Where they feed will change. Especially with a 6 trap. It's permanent, you want a good spot.

Tie the gate open and start feeding it. I know no one wants to spend the money but a feeder will be the most efficient way. Set it to go off once after dark and get them use to the consistency of that feed. You can set a rate of a sack a week or what ever your budget can tolerate.

People always short cut this step and it's the most important for catching the whole pack... not just the stupid ones. Not feeding long enough and poor trap designs are the number one cause of the "my hogs are too smart for traps" comment.

If you can get a camera over the trap I recommend it. It will show you what kind of pigs you are dealing with and how many. That will be the ultimate test of how effective your trap skills are. It will tell you if your trap is large enough and it will tell you when to set the trigger. If you have a pack of 20 pigs and a 4x8 box trap it will be tight. It will take multiple catches vs a large figure 6 where you may get them all.

I like to see hogs entering a trap for at least 2 weeks, consistently, before I set it. The hogs you see the first couple days are likely not all the hogs in the area. If you watch on camera you will see the group get larger and larger.

When the trap gets set and you catch some pigs never set it again the next night. Feed it for a minimum of 3 days but a week is better. Be watching that camera for consistency and get a count again before you reset it.

With the figure 6 you can catch a lot of pigs at once if it's done right. It will have to be a very solid trap. I always put traps in the shade just in case I want or need to hold them more than one day.

Big boars are the hardest to trap if they are with a pack. They are generally easier to take with the NV though.

The figure 6 is my go to for a permanent trap. 5x16 for box traps.

On general hog removal I feel your pain. I have NV and rarely use it.

Typically I like to start with a trap. Catch the pack hogs and easy ones out first. Its the quickest way to minimize the damage.

I have only a couple rules for traps. No floors. No pieces you have to step on to trigger. The next one is not a rule as much as a suggestion. The Wexford trap is a waste of materials and time. Figure 6 or box trap are my go to. If at all possible try to avoid trapping where they are feeding. Don't throw a trap in the middle of hog roots in a pasture. Follow the trail back and see if there is a tank, low area, brush etc they like to move through or hang out at. Try to get on the edge of that area. Next to tanks in shaded area is my ho to. If there are hogs, they will be there. Where they feed will change. Especially with a 6 trap. It's permanent, you want a good spot.

Tie the gate open and start feeding it. I know no one wants to spend the money but a feeder will be the most efficient way. Set it to go off once after dark and get them use to the consistency of that feed. You can set a rate of a sack a week or what ever your budget can tolerate.

People always short cut this step and it's the most important for catching the whole pack... not just the stupid ones. Not feeding long enough and poor trap designs are the number one cause of the "my hogs are too smart for traps" comment.

If you can get a camera over the trap I recommend it. It will show you what kind of pigs you are dealing with and how many. That will be the ultimate test of how effective your trap skills are. It will tell you if your trap is large enough and it will tell you when to set the trigger. If you have a pack of 20 pigs and a 4x8 box trap it will be tight. It will take multiple catches vs a large figure 6 where you may get them all.

I like to see hogs entering a trap for at least 2 weeks, consistently, before I set it. The hogs you see the first couple days are likely not all the hogs in the area. If you watch on camera you will see the group get larger and larger.

When the trap gets set and you catch some pigs never set it again the next night. Feed it for a minimum of 3 days but a week is better. Be watching that camera for consistency and get a count again before you reset it.

With the figure 6 you can catch a lot of pigs at once if it's done right. It will have to be a very solid trap. I always put traps in the shade just in case I want or need to hold them more than one day.

Big boars are the hardest to trap if they are with a pack. They are generally easier to take with the NV though.

The figure 6 is my go to for a permanent trap. 5x16 for box traps.
First of all, I really appreciate your time telling me your approach. Second, I have a problem with them already hitting the same feeding spot too many times because this is a hay and hunting farm that my FIL has and they just feast here. I keep shooting, they keep showing up. Third, only one good tank on the property and they bed on it. I have an option to trap at an outlet in a brush belt between feeding areas right where it passes through the brush into a new field. Think I could pull it off? This is different terrain than I've trapped in mostly.

First of all, I really appreciate your time telling me your approach. Second, I have a problem with them already hitting the same feeding spot too many times because this is a hay and hunting farm that my FIL has and they just feast here. I keep shooting, they keep showing up. Third, only one good tank on the property and they bed on it. I have an option to trap at an outlet in a brush belt between feeding areas right where it passes through the brush into a new field. Think I could pull it off? This is different terrain than I've trapped in mostly.
It is possible there is more than one pack. I have sat on a road with my NV and suppressor and shot 3 pigs from 3 completely different packs. They came in about 30-45min apart.

That sounds like a good spot. With some scent like hog wild you can pull them to the trap.

There use to be several of my paint diagrams out on the web of traps. Here is the figure 6 one.

Screenshot_20220721-011425_Gallery.jpg

I like to put a rope with a brass snap on each end to pull the door open. I'll start with it fairly wide then close it down slowly over time. Eventually I will and up with a double brass snap about the area of the blue line at the top to set it. I'll bend that bottom of the panel in to the trap a little to make a "hole" down close to the ground. That is usually enough for them to push through but not come back.

Get another snap for the bottom and have it clipped ready to go. When you approach that trap come from that gate side so hopefully they push to the opposite side. Get that bottom snapped immediately then I take the rope and sew it shut basically weaving through the pannels. It is a weak link if they hit directly.

Brass snaps on hog traps are your friend. It's the fastest way to secure things with all the panels.

It is possible there is more than one pack. I have sat on a road with my NV and suppressor and shot 3 pigs from 3 completely different packs. They came in about 30-45min apart.

That sounds like a good spot. With some scent like hog wild you can pull them to the trap.

There use to be several of my paint diagrams out on the web of traps. Here is the figure 6 one.

View attachment 19256

I like to put a rope with a brass snap on each end to pull the door open. I'll start with it fairly wide then close it down slowly over time. Eventually I will and up with a double brass snap about the area of the blue line at the top to set it. I'll bend that bottom of the panel in to the trap a little to make a "hole" down close to the ground. That is usually enough for them to push through but not come back.

Get another snap for the bottom and have it clipped ready to go. When you approach that trap come from that gate side so hopefully they push to the opposite side. Get that bottom snapped immediately then I take the rope and sew it shut basically weaving through the pannels. It is a weak link if they hit directly.

Brass snaps on hog traps are your friend. It's the fastest way to secure things with all the panels.
Not just possible, likely.

I've stayed up too late as is, but I appreciate you and I'll update y'all if I trap. Good night.

I consider myself pretty proficient at trapping and killing pigs but we fenced off our hay fields or places we didn't want hogs. Both trapping and hunting take time. With hay fields you don't have that time. These hogs can move in over night and destroy it right before the cutter moves in.

We have had good luck adding just 2 wires, 3 max, to the bottom of a regular 5 wire fence and keeping the hogs out. It's pretty economical vs the damage.

Latest posts