Rain and more Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian

Reaction score
Northern New England Region, Tenterfield NSW Austr
Rai Rain and more rain. Its years and years since I've seen so much of Australia wet. From a line down the middle to the east its been a phenomenal Winter/Spring. Queensland and the Northern part of our state New South Wales don't always get rain at this time of the year. Well thats changed. Tasmania,Victoria,NSW,South Australia, Central Australia (the desert country) and Queensland are all very wet. Just overnight the central aprt of Queensland had 200 to 300 mls ( 8 to 12 inches) There is more predicted for our region later in the week up to 4 inches they say. Our gullies and creeks run after about 20 points ( 5mls ) now.Won't get a truck to our yards for a week or so now.

I don't reckon we need a foot of rain, but SOME would be nice, here in Indiana! Yesterday, they forecasted a 60% chance of rain. It drizzled for about 10 minutes, and that was all we got.

IGotMyWings":21dj2too said:
I don't reckon we need a foot of rain, but SOME would be nice, here in Indiana! Yesterday, they forecasted a 60% chance of rain. It drizzled for about 10 minutes, and that was all we got.

Didn't know I was in Indiana..... :) .....Same crap here.

Toowoomba is one of the most beautiful cities in Australia, it is our largest inland city, 90,000 people ( apart from our Capital Canberra) It currently is holding it's carnival of flowers. It has beautiful red soil and is at an altitude of 2,000 feet.I would say the drought would be over provided good follow up rain comes. I live two and a quarter hours south of Toowoomba, so get there a bit for doctors and hospitals etc. It has great shopping and lots of rural services, machinery sales etc. Our state of New South Wales is mostly out of drought, about a year ago there was almost 60% of the state in drought now there would be about 10% maybe. I did see a map that said the area to our south was still classed as being drought affected. That's rubbish. Governments have no idea. Hope posters weren't bored with my geography lesson.
Colin

On a recent trip up through north- western Queensland we were surprised to see how much parched country there is. We had expected to see the savannah grasslands in pretty good order after winter but a lot of it was black, even the tussocks are gone in places. Cottonseed was being shovelled out by the ton. There's been some great rain systems going through, thanks to the north-west cloudbands, but it's been falling in the same places each time - lots of areas are still very dry. In other cases, there's been just enough rain to ruin the standing dry grass. Our own country is borderline. Old grass ruined but a green tinge in the blackness.

The rains are coming very early in the season so let's hope they continue on and fill in all the gaps! We could be in for a monumental wet - if the outlook gets any grander, there is almost guaranteed to be loss of life from cyclones and floods (the forecasters say).

Thank you for the geography lesson. I facebooked my step mom and she said pretty much the same thing...about the weather. Hubby and I will have to go there sometime...someday...

Well Australian-the usually dry old semi arid prairies of Montana, ND, and parts of Canada are getting the same thing... Many can't get there crops combined- and almost everybody still has hay to put up... Get a couple dry days- and then more rain...We picked up another .65 of an inch of rain last night- and today is cool (50) and windy.... We've had almost 17 inchs of rain already this year in an area where the whole year average is 11.5....

But the sun is starting to peek thru-- and the forecast is for a week or two of dry and warm weather with temps that could go above normal (80's for Sunday)...

Latest posts