~pull up a chair... and come on in~

Help Support CattleToday:

If he plays on a pc you can set up time limits. Don't know about Win 8/8.1 but win 7 you could set a time schedule for different users. Say between 6-8 on weekdays, and 6-9 on weekends, plus you can always lock users out if their grades get bad. Treat is like a school sport, bad grades, no play. Don't come to practice (get chores done), no play. Don't follow coaches (parents) orders, no play. The right kind of video games will be better for them then just watching tv, at least when they are playing a video game they have to use their brain.

I think a balance can be struck, but like everyone else is saying.. the game package doesn't always really indicate the content of the game, and they all have the disclaimer than online content may differ.
I play games once in a while on PC.. I quite enjoyed Quake and Unreal (shoot-em-up's), and Civilization 4 (empire building).. I go months and sometimes years without playing them, and they I get into them for a while until I get bored of them again. I also still enjoy wrenching on something in the shop, designing something in Autocad, training and taming my cattle, or going for a ride in the mountains on the dirt bike.
I honestly don't believe there's such a thing as an "educational game".. or at least not any that actually are any good.. A kid that wants to learn to read is going to do that.. they don't need to know the alphabet at 4 years old.. they need to let their mind wander and imagine things.. Perhaps when they're in their teens and are getting bored with school, you can find some computer-related program that will be entertaining, and a job skill in the future.. say a 3D drawing program, photoshop, autocad, web page design, music remixing, and programming languages to name a few things.. Many kids just seem to want to be in front of a computer screen. They won't mind giving up *useless* games as much if they can still do something else that is fun.

Again, this is from a guy with no kids!

Ok so i'm not sure if I need advice or someone else's opinion but i've had my horse for over a year now and seeing how he is my first and my only horse i would be comfortable saying that i know him like the back of my hand, so to speak. He is close to a saint, he has saved my stupid @$$ from almost everything I would even trust him enough to say he is a therapy horse. So my point is that my sister's husband is controlling especially with his children and he does not like them even touching my horse he gets all "do this" and "do that" and "don't pat him like" and he is so untrusting of my knowledge for my animals its gone from okay to in hate having them over because i have to sit there and listen to him go on and on about "don't pat him he's nervous" 'don't get too close" when my horse could care less. When my brother in-law is not there they can will walk up to him pull his ears and practically beat him up. I rode him last time they were over and my brother in-law "had" to stand in between me and my horse and his 10 year old son and practically coach his son on don't walk around him to fast, don't do this and don't get to close. it offends me because i would really love to allow my niece and nephew to do everything they can not really do in the city that they live in. but it really offends me because I feel like my brother in-law whom i have known since birth can not trust my instincts and my knowledge on my horse and they are at our house almost every weekend so i have to postpone my entire riding schedule because i can not ride when my brother in-law is around. i would really like to fix this problem so i don't have to keep being pushed around but I don't know what to say cause i don't think he will really ever listen to me, he has always believed that he is "higher" than everyone else and that he knows everything about everything so that makes it really hard to talk to him. What do i say? i don't want to be mean but i know i have to get my point across. Thoughts?

He's the kind of person I'd consider an arsehole.. the kind I"d get away from.. it sucks that you have family ties to him, and I don't know what you could say that'll make things any better. It sounds like he's got trust issues somewhere.
I take it he's your sisters husband and your sister is coming to see you? If not I'd probably schedule my horseback rides to coincide with their visits as an easy way out.

For the kids... Offer to have them overnight (OK, that's opening a can of worms perhaps), and give them the farm tour without dad around, I think they'd feel more confident too.

Today my best friend came over for a visit (lives in Taiwan), and has 2 little girls, aged 4 and 7. They wanted to see a cow, so I went and got "Kama", who's a people-loving bred heifer. The girls' grandmother, who doesn't speak any english was with them. Kama did want to skirt around them, so I let her, and I picked up a full bucket of grain for her and put it on the ground. She was well occupied with that. The girls then got to pet her, and grandma got lots of pictures. I had to be a little concerned when the 4 year old had to show her excitement by jumping up and down and clapping her hands, and there was a bit of a language barrier between us so I couldn't do much about it.. Kama was a bit concerned about this little noisy jumping 'thing', but behaved very nicely.

Even though they're animals, they're all different, but they have unique characters... I knew Kama was cool headed around people, that's why I chose her... I think you know your horse well, and your horse knows you.. For him, perhaps a nice dog bit him out of excitement when they were playing.. I don't know.

This might help you though

Nesikep":27p7q4h3 said:
He's the kind of person I'd consider an arsehole.. the kind I"d get away from.. it sucks that you have family ties to him, and I don't know what you could say that'll make things any better. It sounds like he's got trust issues somewhere.
I take it he's your sisters husband and your sister is coming to see you? If not I'd probably schedule my horseback rides to coincide with their visits as an easy way out.

For the kids... Offer to have them overnight (OK, that's opening a can of worms perhaps), and give them the farm tour without dad around, I think they'd feel more confident too.

Today my best friend came over for a visit (lives in Taiwan), and has 2 little girls, aged 4 and 7. They wanted to see a cow, so I went and got "Kama", who's a people-loving bred heifer. The girls' grandmother, who doesn't speak any english was with them. Kama did want to skirt around them, so I let her, and I picked up a full bucket of grain for her and put it on the ground. She was well occupied with that. The girls then got to pet her, and grandma got lots of pictures. I had to be a little concerned when the 4 year old had to show her excitement by jumping up and down and clapping her hands, and there was a bit of a language barrier between us so I couldn't do much about it.. Kama was a bit concerned about this little noisy jumping 'thing', but behaved very nicely.

Even though they're animals, they're all different, but they have unique characters... I knew Kama was cool headed around people, that's why I chose her... I think you know your horse well, and your horse knows you.. For him, perhaps a nice dog bit him out of excitement when they were playing.. I don't know.

This might help you though

My oldest sister never grew up with animals, this farming thing is new for our family but she is the only parent who does not feel like she has to be hovering over the kids, I can do anything I want with the kids when she is the only one around but she never gets involved when her husband is there.

A man was driving along a freeway when he noticed a chicken running alongside his car. He was amazed to see the chicken keeping up with him, as he was doing 50 mph. He accelerated to 60, and the chicken stayed right next to him. He sped up to 75 mph, and the chicken passed him. The man noticed that the chicken had three legs. So he followed the chicken down a road and ended up at a farm. He got out of his car and saw that all the chickens had three legs. He asked the farmer, "What's up with these chickens?" The farmer said "Well, everybody likes chicken legs, so I bred a three-legged bird. I'm going to be a millionaire." The man asked him how they tasted. The farmer said, "Don't know, haven't caught one yet."

3waycross":1ckki32a said:
My oldest kids had no video games were all state atheletes and had more friends than I could count. The youngest had the games and has had very few close friends and virtually no sports.

they don't call them a nofrendo for nothing. If you don't have one stay that way. They stifle imagination and creativity.

Ditto! My kids are involved with other things, not sports. Even with the short days rights now, video games are not on the menu. They get off the bus, have 30 minutes to grab a snack, then outside to do chores. We tend to the cattle (heat check, feed hay, care for show heifers), then bring in firewood for the next 24 hours. By then, it is dark. Time for homework and supper. We help them with their homework, and just have family time. Once done, kids can either read books or play in their rooms (our son loves Legos), bed time is 8 with lights out at 8:30. No tv in any bedrooms, and we do own one wii, had it for 7 years now and we might have 20 hours on it total. On snow days, we like to play wii fit. But we own maybe 4 wii games, none violent. One is a pet vet type, one zoo type, and wii dance and wii fit.
My kids have a wonderful imagination, and love to play outside in the trees and such. One of the great things about living rurally, they have each other to play with and everyone else is too far away. We do not have cable or satalite TV, just rabbit ears to get local news channel for weather.

Anyone ever hear of Agrarianism? Thomas Jefferson refers to a social philosophy or political philosophy which values rural society as superior to urban society, the independent farmer as superior to the paid worker, and sees farming as a way of life that can shape the ideal social values. It stresses the superiority of a simpler rural life as opposed to the complexity of city life, with its banks and factories.

Fire Sweep Ranch":84mw8k2o said:
3waycross":84mw8k2o said:
My oldest kids had no video games were all state atheletes and had more friends than I could count. The youngest had the games and has had very few close friends and virtually no sports.

they don't call them a nofrendo for nothing. If you don't have one stay that way. They stifle imagination and creativity.

Ditto! My kids are involved with other things, not sports. Even with the short days rights now, video games are not on the menu. They get off the bus, have 30 minutes to grab a snack, then outside to do chores. We tend to the cattle (heat check, feed hay, care for show heifers), then bring in firewood for the next 24 hours. By then, it is dark. Time for homework and supper. We help them with their homework, and just have family time. Once done, kids can either read books or play in their rooms (our son loves Legos), bed time is 8 with lights out at 8:30. No tv in any bedrooms, and we do own one wii, had it for 7 years now and we might have 20 hours on it total. On snow days, we like to play wii fit. But we own maybe 4 wii games, none violent. One is a pet vet type, one zoo type, and wii dance and wii fit.
My kids have a wonderful imagination, and love to play outside in the trees and such. One of the great things about living rurally, they have each other to play with and everyone else is too far away. We do not have cable or satalite TV, just rabbit ears to get local news channel for weather.

Anyone ever hear of Agrarianism? Thomas Jefferson refers to a social philosophy or political philosophy which values rural society as superior to urban society, the independent farmer as superior to the paid worker, and sees farming as a way of life that can shape the ideal social values. It stresses the superiority of a simpler rural life as opposed to the complexity of city life, with its banks and factories.

I agree with both of you except on the imagination. My son always played computer and video games. He is still an addict. The biggest two things in his life is finishing his PhD in Molecular Biology and playing computer games which he does across the web. He has one of the most remarkable imaginations that I personally have ever witnessed. The games also develop some pretty incredible hand eye skills. I have often thought that he would be the world's greatest equipment operator because of his hand eye coordination using joysticks. :lol:

I think the computer game world enhanced Clint's imagination.

inyati13":3lovqw3h said:
The games also develop some pretty incredible hand eye skills. I have often thought that he would be the world's greatest equipment operator because of his hand eye coordination using joysticks. :lol:

And on the other hand he may become the most highly educated and imaginative juggler in the circus. :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":24bv6mg7 said:
inyati13":24bv6mg7 said:
The games also develop some pretty incredible hand eye skills. I have often thought that he would be the world's greatest equipment operator because of his hand eye coordination using joysticks. :lol:

And on the other hand he may become the most highly educated and imaginative juggler in the circus. :lol: :lol:

TB, his imagination was spectacular. His thoughts and ability to organize his communication was far beyond his age.

One week-end, I came home from some inspections in eastern Montana. He was happy to see me. We sat down and he got serious. He was concerned about my soul. He presented me a personal sermon. I mean a real live heII and brimstone sermon. I stopped him and got a tape recorder. I told him to start from the beginning. He went on for half an hour. I sent a copy of the tape to my mother. She played it to members of our family. My Uncle sent me a letter and said it had to be God speaking to me through Clint. To him, it was impossible that a 5 year old could do that. My mom said it was an answer to her prayers for my salvation. When I ask Clint where all this came from, I found out that he was a regular fan of Billy Graham and watched it on his own TV in his room. Apparently he remembered it word for word. It was impressive. What was unique, he added his imaginings. There was a part about crocodiles being the agents of the devil. He said that if I didn't get salvation, I would be taken by crocodiles and he would be without his dad. I listened to that tape several times and never without a tear in my eye!!

denvermartinfarms":3f8019bj said:
MO_cows":3f8019bj said:
Went Christmas shopping today at Bass Pro shops. Bought a set of binoculars as a gift. My mouth fell open when I saw the $2500 ones!
That's funny, we were at bass pro a week ago getting some and I felt the same way about the 3600$ ones they had.

Happy for you that you're "getting some". ;-)

KNERSIE":2vu2stft said:
denvermartinfarms":2vu2stft said:
MO_cows":2vu2stft said:
Went Christmas shopping today at Bass Pro shops. Bought a set of binoculars as a gift. My mouth fell open when I saw the $2500 ones!
That's funny, we were at bass pro a week ago getting some and I felt the same way about the 3600$ ones they had.

Must be a slow day on here :lol2:

KNERSIE":2dfg5x7k said:
denvermartinfarms":2dfg5x7k said:
MO_cows":2dfg5x7k said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I've been there several times with no luck

Latest posts