Protein pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
I see this in rations all the time, but what is it ?
Is it pelleted cottonseed or soybean meal or what ?

It can be about 30 different thing, anything from legume roughage products, DDG's, SBM, lien seed meal, grain sifting's, minerals, and about anything that they can get a bunch of, and that balances out to meet a standard.

cross_7":1kz2c5yz said:
I see this in rations all the time, but what is it ?
Is it pelleted cottonseed or soybean meal or what ?
I assume you're talking about the pellets in textured sweet cattle feeds. Depending on the protein level of the complete feed it can be several things. Lower protein feeds usually have a high fiber pellet made primarily of wheat middlings and rice hulls or peanut hulls. Usually only a 10-12% pellet. Higher quality feeds and higher protein feeds will have a pellet that can range from 25% to 30% crude protein. In cattle feeds cottonseed meal is the primary protein source in the pellet along with wheat middlings, rice bran and all the vitamins and minerals. In horse feeds it will more typically be soybean meal. The higher protein pellet allows for higher inclusion of corn and/or oats in the sweet feed.

cross_7":23dz6ja9 said:
I assume it's pelleted so it doesn't settle to the bottom like a meal would
True and it makes a little more "attractive" feed (for whatever that's worth). :lol: As the old saying goes "You can hide a multitude of sins in a pellet). :nod:

Latest posts