molasses/sulfur toxicity/protein tub

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz 2":1dnif24w said:
TexasBred
Here is the product information sheet for a Sweetpro tub product, with the sulfur content of the Fibermate 20 protein tub being a minimum of 1.50% Who knows what the maximum content is!!
They do not list the ingredient but do state " no molasses".
Now add that to the natural sulfur of (.3 - .4% ) they ingest daily and you have 1.90%.
Now doesn't that sseem a little excessive to you?
http://www.sweetpro.com/beef-fibermate20.html
Liz
Not at all. SL/NC you keep forgetting that you must consider the total ration for the animal. The recommended level of consumption on the tub combined with normal hay and grazing would dilute that sulfur level considerably. SULFUR IS SELDOM A PROBLEM FOR ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO PROPERLY FEED CATTLE.

NC Liz 2":39knuksj said:
Now here is another interesting fact about both Crystalex and Sweetpro.
They both say:
Crystlex: "WARNING: This product, which contains added copper, should not be fed to sheep or any species that have a low tolerance to supplemental copper."
Sweetpro: "
CAUTION: Contains 600 ppm copper • DO NOT FEED TO SHEEP • Do not use in association with another feed containing supplemental selenium."
Q, Why is that? Why are they both adding additional copper?
A. Because it is a well known fact that excess sulfur blocks the absorption of copper and they are trying to correct a copper deficiency by adding more copper.
Does it work?
No, not if you see " red saddle " on your cattle.

Now you have a situation where you are dealing with excess sulfur and a copper deficiency in your cattle's diet and no amount of protein will/can cure that.
Liz

NO, you now have a situation where the potential for deficiencies has been corrected via proper balancing !!!!!

NC Liz 2":i2frznjr said:
Pricefarm
I to have feed protein tubs with success ,but that was before they were full of Ethanol by-products full of sulfur.
If you can find one that lists the sulfur content at a reasonable content, please let me know the brand name.
As for " knowing people who feed tubs for years with no problems" I also know someone who fed Ethanol By-products and won a law suit in appellate court because 80 of his cows died.
See: Newman v. A.E. Staley MFG, Co. ( Alabama ).

So I think we need to stick to what the professionals have to say on the suject, rather then our own experiences.
Liz
Your problem is that you only want to pick and choose the professional you agree with.

TexasBred":p5rrxf3z said:
NC Liz 2":p5rrxf3z said:
Pricefarm
I to have feed protein tubs with success ,but that was before they were full of Ethanol by-products full of sulfur.
If you can find one that lists the sulfur content at a reasonable content, please let me know the brand name.
As for " knowing people who feed tubs for years with no problems" I also know someone who fed Ethanol By-products and won a law suit in appellate court because 80 of his cows died.
See: Newman v. A.E. Staley MFG, Co. ( Alabama ).

So I think we need to stick to what the professionals have to say on the suject, rather then our own experiences.
Liz
Your problem is that you only want to pick and choose the professional you agree with.

TB educate me on why anyone would feed protein tubs at the cost they are here.
A 200 pound tub is 90 dollars for 30 % protein so you paid 90 bucks for 60 pounds of protein as well as 900 dollars a ton for supplement.
One ton of range meal is 320 dollars per ton at 14% that is 280 pounds of protein with 1700 pounds of supplement.
You would have to buy four tubs to get the same amount of protein roughly and you only got 800 pounds of feed supplement.
I can 2.8 tons of range meal for the price of one ton of the tubs. Educate me cause the way my pencil works the tub is only good for the feed store.

Caustic Burno":1qm7djqy said:
[
TB educate me on why anyone would feed protein tubs at the cost they are here.
A 200 pound tub is 90 dollars for 30 % protein so you paid 90 bucks for 60 pounds of protein as well as 900 dollars a ton for supplement.
One ton of range meal is 320 dollars per ton at 14% that is 280 pounds of protein with 1700 pounds of supplement.
You would have to buy four tubs to get the same amount of protein roughly and you only got 800 pounds of feed supplement.
I can 2.8 tons of range meal for the price of one ton of the tubs. Educate me cause the way my pencil works the tub is only good for the feed store.

No education necessary. You have it right. Tubs are and have always been the costliest way to supplement cattle. About the only thing good about them is convenience and you have a tub left over that you can grow a few tomatoes in. :nod:

I am not at all an expert on this subject so I should keep my mouth shut except … years ago CB made a very profound statement that I have never forgotten. The subject was on raising cattle, providing HVAC sheds for the animals, calling a vet out every time a cow had a calf, etc, etc,etc and CB said "keep grass in front of a cow and a bull behind" and they will do just fine.

If, according to your experts, the animals are showing signs of Sulfur poisoning STOP FEEDING THEM Sulfur. How much more simple can this be? Again, I'm no expert but I have NEVER heard of a good quality hay (or grass) that contains more Sulfur than is needed by the animal so why are you trying to supplement your feeding program with very costly molasses mixes that contains Sulfur. As TB has tried to tell you that one likely source of Sulfur (not the hay or grass but that is an unknown) is your water and IF that's the case, put a water trough in and keep it full of good, Sulfur free water. By the way, have you had your feed (hay) analyzed? What was the assay? Have you had your source of water tested? What was the assay?

Latest posts