Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

What is the cost per head that it cost most people on here to feed a protein supplement. If a cow is on just plain grass hay.
The label on this tub says a cow will eat between 0.5 to 1 pound daily. Take the high end that's 25 lbs. a day for 25 cows so 1 tub would last 10 days so that comes to 11.00 per day for 25 cows so that would be .44 a day for protein.

this tub also says it has hydrolyzed feathermeal is that good or bad?

We use Crystalyx when their diet switches to mostly hay. They have many options and you can search which type of tub(s) you need by what is missing and/or your goal, cattle etc: https://www.crystalyx.com/products/
That said, our local farm store is usually out of the one we prefer, and has told us a half dozen times they'll order it but never do.

BRYANT":2oftmr97 said:
What is the cost per head that it cost most people on here to feed a protein supplement. If a cow is on just plain grass hay.
The label on this tub says a cow will eat between 0.5 to 1 pound daily. Take the high end that's 25 lbs. a day for 25 cows so 1 tub would last 10 days so that comes to 11.00 per day for 25 cows so that would be .44 a day for protein.

That's $.44 for .25 lbs. of protein. Down here in my neck of the woods 20% cubes run around $6.75 a bag which is roughly $.135 per lb. and typical feeding rate is 4-5 lbs. per head per day for a total cost of $.67 per day however, you get 1 lb. of protein, more energy and more vitamins and minerals.

Feather meal is 80% crude protein so is often used in the higher protein tubs. It's also relatively inexpensive for that amount of protein, however, it stinks to high heaven and inclusion rate is limited. Amazing what you can hide in molasses. Not the best protein source available but for this purpose works ok.

TexasBred":1peec6o7 said:
BRYANT":1peec6o7 said:

That's $.44 for .25 lbs. of protein. Down here in my neck of the woods 20% cubes run around $6.75 a bag which is roughly $.135 per lb. and typical feeding rate is 4-5 lbs. per head per day for a total cost of $.67 per day however, you get 1 lb. of protein, more energy and more vitamins and minerals.

Feather meal is 80% crude protein so is often used in the higher protein tubs. It's also relatively inexpensive for that amount of protein, however, it stinks to high heaven and inclusion rate is limited. Amazing what you can hide in molasses. Not the best protein source available but for this purpose works ok.
Like I say I'm not a big fan of tubs and don't want people think I am pushing tubs. If I was not almost 50 miles from this one place I would use cubes but I cant go there every day so I keep out range meal. I thought I would try this tub and because of all the tub talk on here I pulled the label and posted it on here ( I know it may be hard to read, to small) I can not say I have read many labels but when I saw the feather meal it made me wonder. I have always been told that feathers and hair would make the protein high but that they were something that would not be digested, and therefore be of little use to the animal.

TexasBred":lwn6jy1t said:
BRYANT":lwn6jy1t said:

You beat me to it. Being further to the east you get up before me.
That $.44 for .25 lbs. of protein is $1.76 per pound of protein. My 16% protein alfalfa cost $.0625 per pound. That works out to $.39 per pound of protein. So on 50 cows it cost an additional $68.50 a day to add one pond of protein per day into their diet. $479.50 additional per week. This cost is adding up quickly. Another question to ask is that .25 lbs. enough to meet the protein requirements of the cow? Or is it just making you feel good that you are giving some more protein.

Dave":2q1vo7ai said:
That $.44 for .25 lbs. of protein is $1.76 per pound of protein. My 16% protein alfalfa cost $.0625 per pound. That works out to $.39 per pound of protein. So on 50 cows it cost an additional $68.50 a day to add one pond of protein per day into their diet. $479.50 additional per week. This cost is adding up quickly. Another question to ask is that .25 lbs. enough to meet the protein requirements of the cow? Or is it just making you feel good that you are giving some more protein.

This is where a good reliable hay test will help you make a good management decision. We need to always begin with hay quality and amount and then supplement that. In some cases the .25 lb. would be adequate, in others it would not. 16% crude protein is not very high for alfalfa but if you feed enough it should still compliment grass hay well. I would think it would have been up in the 20%+ range. The crude protein is there Dave but this tells me that the hay is not highly digestible, low in energy and was not cut in it's prime. In that case much of that protein is undigestible and not utilized by the cow and she will burn an excessive amount of calories trying to digest it. Probably still worth the $125 you paid for it but not as good a deal as it appeared at first.

angus9259":k9cotnij said:
Wonder how many times you can find this argument on these boards.....

At least once or twice a month during the winter, every year. Maybe once or twice other times of the year.

TexasBred":3twputbr said:
Dave":3twputbr said:

This is where a good reliable hay test will help you make a good management decision. We need to always begin with hay quality and amount and then supplement that. In some cases the .25 lb. would be adequate, in others it would not. 16% crude protein is not very high for alfalfa but if you feed enough it should still compliment grass hay well. I would think it would have been up in the 20%+ range. The crude protein is there Dave but this tells me that the hay is not highly digestible, low in energy and was not cut in it's prime. In that case much of that protein is undigestible and not utilized by the cow and she will burn an excessive amount of calories trying to digest it. Probably still worth the $125 you paid for it but not as good a deal as it appeared at first.

I shot low at the 16%. I have to admit that I didn't test the alfalfa last year. I have seen lots of alfalfa that exceeded 20%. The dairies and export market gets most of that and last year they were paying about $180. My educated guess is that it wouldn't have tested that high. It had been baled too dry so lots of leaf was falling off. I fed in a bunk so the cows got all the leaf but it wasn't top dollar high because of that. Last year I fed about 7 pounds of alfalfa and day and all the bent grass straw they wanted. The bent grass straw is fairly palatable and digestible but only about 6% protein. The cows did good on this.
Actually I could have got some 4 by 4 big square bales of roundup ready alfalfa that tested real well for the same money. They couldn't export it because of the round up and I don't know why the dairies didn't want it. But those bales are just too heavy (1,900 lbs) for my little tractor to handle everyday.

BRYANT":2q1wvod7 said:
angus9259":2q1wvod7 said:
who's in a argument??

Anyone in any thread that goes for more than one page. Look at the beginners board - half the people that join are looking for a fight. :D

Aaron":hyxkx2dl said:
BRYANT":hyxkx2dl said:
angus9259":hyxkx2dl said:
who's in a argument??

Anyone in any thread that goes for more than one page. Look at the beginners board - half the people that join are looking for a fight. :D
that's a new one on me :bang: if I was part of the argument I sure did not know it.

angus9259":1ci0ials said:

Argument?? Where?? Always takes at least two to have a conversation and it's usually more enjoyable and productive if you have more than one point of view. Not trying to prove one is right adn the other wrong.

I used the pvm tubs from positive feeds. I like them for late summer and early fall before the grass goes dormant. In my area August and sept the grass really declines . During the winter I fed cubes . I don't think they get enough out of the tubs .

JSCATTLE":2n1s98ji said:
I used the pvm tubs from positive feeds. I like them for late summer and early fall before the grass goes dormant. In my area August and sept the grass really declines . During the winter I fed cubes . I don't think they get enough out of the tubs .

You pretty much nailed it IMO.
I use the pvm 28 percent tubs.
Best tub I've used and I've used a bunch.

Sorry. Didn't realize I had to choose my words so carefully.

ar·gu·ment
ˈärɡyəmənt/Submit
noun
an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
"I've had an argument with my father"
synonyms: quarrel, disagreement, squabble, fight, dispute, wrangle, clash, altercation, feud, contretemps, disputation, falling-out; More
a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.
"there is a strong argument for submitting a formal appeal"
synonyms: reasoning, justification, explanation, rationalization;

I meant "argument" is the second definition of the word but it certainly would have been more accurate if I had used the word "conversation" or "debate" than "argument".

angus9259":2r0263ot said:

Correction to previous posting:

Wonder how many times you can find a civil dialogue on the value of using protein tubs relative to the costs associated with feeding grain or other high protein feedstuffs on these boards....

My way of thinking is that it comes down to cost vs convenience. I have done both and am using a few tubs this winter for the first time in several years. The way that our setup is we can feed 3 groups at different times in the same barn lot. That makes feeding grain rations easy and fairly cost effective. Then we have some cattle in other places that have to take feed to, the tubs come in handy in those situations as I don't have to take as much feed to them.