"Best" Tub and Alley ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Socks

Reaction score
I have been reading for years and love the valuable information I have gathered.

I would really like to hear opinions from people who have tub and alley set-ups. This has been the one topic I can not find much useful information on. I have read hundreds of articles and cant get much more than my this is the best. I am in the Houston area and am set on this type of set up. We have had wood for years and the design works well for us, just would like to get a metal set up. Does not need to be portable but any and all responses are appreciated. Really hope this can become a resource for others looking. I am hoping that several are at the Houston livestock show and rodeo. I probably should travel to one of the shows to actually be able to put my hands on several to decide. I can build really nice out of wood, but I really like the adjustable alleys and ability to open if a cow goes down. I know many different companies have different levels as well.

Information I am looking for would be
1. Make/Model
2. Pros/Cons
3. Comparisons between ones that you have used
4. Cost

Ultimately I would like to make a list from best to worst with cost which would allow people to make an informed decision.

With any luck this has already been done somewhere, I just cant find it. links are welcome as well.
Thanks for any help!

Probably any of them are better than nothing.
I have WW half sheated, I really like it. I think its a 210 system, I've added more pens and high pole gates. Guessing $5000 nowdays.Priefert squeeze chute.
I've used Priefert roughstock helping folks around there ok but I don't like the way the sweep gate works, a little more trouble than WW, I've used Bahlen Country, its pretty good.
I've used open, half sheated, whole sheated, I would at least get half sheated, the opens its amazing how they can manage to get there heads between the pipes.

Many sale barns have absolutely some of the best I have ever seen. But that's not what I need. For my operation. Those take several people.

Which gets back to the point. I can only assume you are discussing working cows. There are lots of units out there. I like the portable ones with hydraulics. I have done gotten to old to wrangle - much.

A whole lot of the units out there in the market just aren't beefed up enough. It is much easier to reinforce something than it is to go back and rebuild it after it is all bent up or beat up.

Stur-D is the only tub and alley I am familiar with. I guess it is "Best" to me because Stur-D is "THE" brand around here :p I have seen Vern's tubs but never been around one using it.

IMO, portable is the way to go. Local place will rent them out by the day and a lot of folks do that. The guy who bought my place has his own and is currently set up out here in the corral. He does move it around to different pasture locations or home as needed.

I recently purchased a Stur-D 24' portable adjustable alley, with no headgate/squeeze chute and no tub. Plan on rebuilding my crowd pen and backing the alley up to it. Will use my ForMost headgate on front of the alley.

This pic isn't real big but gives you an idea what a Stur-D tub and alley looks like. http://northcountrysupply.com/catalog/p ... ley-system

Minimum 20 ft diameter. A long straight alley way exiting it so they can see where they're going, and that has them headed out in a proper direction so they don't turn their ass to the exit. I built my own, but those are things that make it work well.

Couldn't tell where you were located but my son and I looked for a couple of years and purchased one from Chubby Baird. www.bairdgate.com It was the most affordable system out there. We were able to make the 3 hour drive to pick it up and saved hundreds of dollars. My son is off to college and I am now able to work the cows myself at age 56. Mind you it goes a lot slower by yourself. I wouldn't be able to have cows without it.

Thanks for the input, that is actually one I had not seen yet.

Kinda leaning toward the Linn Post and Pipe tub and alley that is not portable. Unfortunately I have not been able to put my hands on one. If anyone has information about them I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again.

A lot depends on the type of cows that you have.
I had a solid wall, S shape alley and sweep. Powder River brand. It took up too much space and was over kill for my cows and calves. A lot of my cows are halter broke and would freeze up in the alley. I had a hard time working it on my own. (And yes, they did get a hot shot on occasion!)
The system that I have now I can manage by myself and like it a lot better. I bought an open Powder River sweep and palp cage. I attached my own HD PR panels to it for the alley to the chute. It is considered "portable" but I would hate to move it. It is plenty heavy duty for my quiet Bulls. (The cows give me more trouble!) IDK but my cattle seem to stay calmer in the open system when they can see their calves especially.
The main reason that I purchased PR is the dealers here in town. Other than that, I am sure that there are just as good of systems out there. My only complaint with this type of sweep is that they do have a corner to hang up in. In the future I would prefer a different design.

I have a WW tub and alley that runs into a Formost squeeze Shute. Before I had a wood system and would not ever go back. The tub is half sheet.

I still have not been able to find a place to really get to put my hands on any of the brands mentioned, but I really like what I have seen/read about linn post and pipe. Does anyone have any feedback/experience with their system?

thanks

Latest posts