protein lick

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbruh

Reaction score
I have a couple of young calves (around150-200#) they have been eating bluegrass Hay and I'm concerned that they are not getting enough protein. A friend suggested a protein tub. The one he uses is a 200# with approx. 25% protein. Is that too much protein for babies? Or will that supply all the nutrient that they need?

Lick/protein tubs work good when you have smaller numbers of cattle to supplement. I would be sure they are getting a good mineral too, or you can get tubs with mineral in them too. The only thing with feeding this young of calves tubs I'd be worried about is if they would lick on them enough to get anything out of them. I think you would be better off supplementing them with a calf feed grain mix for a while. Hand feed it to them according to label directions. Here, they would get a balanced protein level too. most calf feeds are between 18-20% protein. Just my two cents, but I think a complete calf feed would be better for them at the moment.

Bigbruh,

I would agree with jenna and recommend you not feed protein tubs to calves this small.
As a matter of fact, I don't recommend feeding protein tubs to any cattle due to the high concentration of sulfur in them.

I would recommend you feed them a medicated palletized 16-18 % protein calf starter feed as it is easily digestible.
SL

Sir Loin":3fbt2yoy said:
Bigbruh,

I would agree with jenna and recommend you not feed protein tubs to calves this small.
As a matter of fact, I don't recommend feeding protein tubs to any cattle due to the high concentration of sulfur in them.

I would recommend you feed them a medicated palletized 16-18 % protein calf starter feed as it is easily digestible.
SL
What is the source of the sulfur in these blocks SL and what it the typical guarantee on min/max sulfur??

TexasBred":1xnmywhd said:
Sir Loin":1xnmywhd said:
Bigbruh,

SL
What is the source of the sulfur in these blocks SL and what it the typical guarantee on min/max sulfur??
This is as bad as reading anything flounder says. One track, nonstop to chickenlittleville. All aboard

hooknline":3r4qarex said:
This is as bad as reading anything flounder says. One track, nonstop to chickenlittleville. All aboard
Next you'll be telling us that the sky isn;t really falling!

hooknline":1pxnf977 said:
The sky is falling just in a different way and slower
The fixation with sulphur is kind of interesting since a lot of producers around here use the sulphur blocks (yellow) to keep the horse flys off the cows/calves.

150 lb calves should still be on momma. If they aint, you gotta supplement them with feed of atleast a 14% protein to keep them from going doggie on you. There are lots of threads and discussion on this throughout the forums already.

If they are on momma, you just need to take care of her. Protein lick tubs are an alternative for when you have nothing to feed but junk. If momma's body condition looks good, save your nickels.

Yes momma needs a good loose mineral and everything else that has been said already.

These calves are both off of momma. What does going doggie mean? I usually use growena with smaller calves. I became curious about the lick because my neighbor said that the nutrients would be available 24/7. Makes sense to a newbie.

I would use the bagged calf feed for protein, around here it's usually 16% protein. And use a Mineralyx tub for mineral, not for protein. It's in molasses so they will tend to use it more than dry mineral, which is what you want especially at that age. Also put a white salt block out near your water supply. Your neighbor is right, the tubs are always available and for mineral/vitamin needs thats good. http://crystalyx.com/products/629_mineral-lyx.aspx

Jim

Here is the mineralyx I am talking about.

dun":1llgg1fm said:
hooknline":1llgg1fm said:
The sky is falling just in a different way and slower
The fixation with sulphur is kind of interesting since a lot of producers around here use the sulphur blocks (yellow) to keep the horse flys off the cows/calves.

I was just reading about that yesterday. I guess many of them contain a lot of salt too. Never used one and never knew about the control possibility until reading up on it. Their sold in all of the feed stores.

Re: mineralyx

I don't get it???????????
How did we get from "a couple of young calves (around150-200#)" to "all classes of beef cattle in preparation for calving and the breeding season"?

IMO this product is not for young calves.
SL

Sir Loin":380m23nj said:
Re: mineralyx

I don't get it???????????
How did we get from "a couple of young calves (around150-200#)" to "all classes of beef cattle in preparation for calving and the breeding season"?

IMO this product is not for young calves.
SL
What about the freakin' sulfur?? You ignored that.

The tubs can be used by all classes and sizes of livestock with no harm. You can't put a sign on it that says "for bred cattle only". I wouldn't bother with the mineralyx tub as a good bag of loose mineral would be a much better buy. Even the mineralyx tub is still mostly molasses..just doesn't have much protein added to it so that's all basically a waste.

If you really think they need more protein buy a good 18% calf starter and feed it to them and continue to make the hay available 24/7.

Any good bagged feed should have all the minerals in it they may need. We still keep a salt block out, but don't think it's necessary. Why do you feel they need minerals 24/7? Are you constantly licking/swallowing a mineral supplement? If it were mine I would feed them a grain with a mineral premix, and hay, shouldn't need to have mineral/protein blocks out.

I have mineralyx out for all of my cattle year around. From calves to cows to bulls. The barrels are expensive but look at the ingredients list. These ingredients are not cheap. It has almost indefinite life, zero waste, and consumption is very low per head most of the time. I think in the end the cost is comparable to dry and the cattle are getting a good range of what they need.

I've heard of folks saying they couldn't afford it because consumption was too high. The way I look at it, if consumption is "high" its because they need it. Consumption varies during the year.

Mineralyx certainly is not going to harm calves, and it may do a lot of good. It is an essential part of trouble free calving, in my opinion. Much of the year in my rotational grazing system I have cows, calves, yearling heifers and bull all together. They all have access to the mineralyx barrel.

I've tried dry mineral in a feeder and ended up throwing half of it away when it turned to rock and cattle not touching it. For salt I use a $5 white block in a rubber tray set near the waterers. The cattle determine how much salt they need, not me by mixing it.

Jim

A hundred dollar mineralyx tub for 2 small calves is a bit of overkill. Buy a good mineral that "does not" turn hard when wet and no problem. If it makes a rock...break it up again. You've lost nothing.

The original question was about whether or not the calves needed extra protein. On hay only, they very probably do, but I'd buy a few bags of good calf starter for that and yes it will contain vitamins and minerals.

bigbruh":25dxwv7f said:
These calves are both off of momma. What does going doggie mean? I usually use growena with smaller calves. I became curious about the lick because my neighbor said that the nutrients would be available 24/7. Makes sense to a newbie.

Hopefully you are guessing the weights wrong if they are off the cows.

Doggies are orphans. As in the song lyrics, "Git along lil doggie.". Usually they have a pot gut or what some call a hay belly. Pencil legs. Simply put they don't get normal nutrition. Stick out like a sore thumb around normal calves. Now some citified individual may come in and tell me I got it all wrong and it's doagie. I have never heard it pronounced that way in any of my circles.

Latest posts