Crystalyx protein tubs?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Howdy,
Our hay this year is ashamed of itself. Rained and rained so first cutting was way way late, then turned dry on a dime so we got almost nothing for a second. Gonna have it tested but am anticipating it will be lacking. (Cows are grassfed Angus. They will also have some wrapped haylage).

Any opinions on Crystalyx protein and mineral tubs? They seem a bit pricey but if they let you alternate decent hay with not-so-great hay, maybe it's worth it. There are several formulations which vary based on % protein; source of the protein (animal versus plant); % Mag; and some other ingredients. Most seem to not have salt and caution that cows should be supplemented separately with salt.

Here's a few things I'm pondering. Is this likely to be a cost-efficient source for additional protein (and minerals)? Would it be ok to wait until the worst of winter to use these (say, Jan and Feb, when we can get brutally cold weeks) (we would continue with regular loose mineral til then). When we put them out, I assume a salt block is fine (don't need loose salt?). Any other thoughts/advice??? Thanks!

Crystalyx is my favorite tub. They have the best limiter IMO. I keep salt and mineral out with the tubs, one, because it's not that much money, two, I don't really want the cattle hitting the tub just for salt and mineral.

I would go ahead and start them on the tubs asap especially if your talking a small number of head.

Tubs are a good tool because they are easy to handle and beneficial. You may also look in to a ground feed mix to help supplement the poor quality hay.

I have used the Crystalyx Fescuelyx hign mag tubs for several years from usually November till April. There is no salt in them so yes you do need loose salt available. I use it more for the quality of the mineral and not the protein although that is a plus. They use so little of it each day that they dont get a lot of protein from it. I will use them again this winter so I guess I feel its worth the money.
Also use Crystalyz Brigade for calves I buy.

boondocks":xosxv9e5 said:
Howdy,
Our hay this year is ashamed of itself. Rained and rained so first cutting was way way late, then turned dry on a dime so we got almost nothing for a second. Gonna have it tested but am anticipating it will be lacking. (Cows are grassfed Angus. They will also have some wrapped haylage).

Any opinions on Crystalyx protein and mineral tubs? They seem a bit pricey but if they let you alternate decent hay with not-so-great hay, maybe it's worth it. There are several formulations which vary based on % protein; source of the protein (animal versus plant); % Mag; and some other ingredients. Most seem to not have salt and caution that cows should be supplemented separately with salt.

Here's a few things I'm pondering. Is this likely to be a cost-efficient source for additional protein (and minerals)? Would it be ok to wait until the worst of winter to use these (say, Jan and Feb, when we can get brutally cold weeks) (we would continue with regular loose mineral til then). When we put them out, I assume a salt block is fine (don't need loose salt?). Any other thoughts/advice??? Thanks!
Crystalyx is sort of the "original" in molasses tubs and all others are mostly copycats some good, some not so good. Only recommendation I'd make is to avoid the one that says animal protein as it's probably feather meal which in itself is harmless but just low quality protein. Vitamin and mineral levels should be good but I'd still keep out a high quality mineral with salt. Doesn't sound like you're going to have any lush green grazing so no need for the hi-mag.

Thanks all Some great advice as always. :tiphat:
I'll circle back when I get the hay tested; maybe y'all can help me figure out which one is best. I have the brochure but there's a bazillion formulations just for beefers.

To me, tubs are great from a convenience stand point. If what your trying to accomplish is a protein supplement, then there are cheaper supplements. Problem is you have to get out in the mud and muck to feed them.

Bigfoot":24ujhxho said:
To me, tubs are great from a convenience stand point. If what your trying to accomplish is a protein supplement, then there are cheaper supplements. Problem is you have to get out in the mud and muck to feed them.

Do you think pellets are more cost-effective? They have bags of them at Tractor Supply. Some of my cows love them and others don't seem to get what all the fuss is about... Given our winters, tubs might be a better option than pellets anyway...

I would have to see the label on both, and do a little figuring. Traditionally, a bagged feed is not a great value. Maybe a super sack is available in your area. A bulk delivery of some kind, would be the cheapest. I'm usually not that crazy about a pellet, once I read the label. Usually has a fairly low digestability.

boondocks":tan3pxl5 said:
Bigfoot":tan3pxl5 said:

Do you think pellets are more cost-effective? They have bags of them at Tractor Supply. Some of my cows love them and others don't seem to get what all the fuss is about... Given our winters, tubs might be a better option than pellets anyway...

In my opinion TSC is not your best place to buy feed unless you only have 2 or 3 head. Do you have a local mill that will mix you some feed? Feed is probably the cheapest way to supplement poor hay but the more labor, tubs require less labor. The one thing I like about tubs is that they are out there 24/7 and the more timid cows get a chance. My off farm job really kept me busy last winter so I fed tubs for the first time in several years, still gave the cows some feed once a week. My hay was fair but the cows came thru the winter in good shape,

While Crystalyx and Smarlic are both manufactured locally here, lick tubs are still an expensive "convenience food". That said, IMO lick tubs do have their place where due to time or distance constraints supplementing cattle daily is not a viable option.

Ear corn and cake are the most popular form of supplements "here" for cattle on winter pasture. It is more difficult to find ear corn as time goes on because fewer and fewer corn producers pick corn anymore.

I agree with the post stating TSC is likely not the best place to buy feed. I have no idea where their cake comes from, but i doubt if it is from a local source so there has to be a lot of freight cost involved to bring it in to your local store. Buy from your local feed guy who competes with other local feed guys to get the best deal.

Bagged cake is a poor choice because of the high cost of manual labor to fill the bags, then at some point you have to have to handle all those bags manually. To me paying through the nose for the inconvience of bagged cake and getting a workout to handle it in the process only adds insult to injury :p The last time I bought bagged caked was when my cattle were still on summer pasture away from home. I got 10 bags of cake in town and fed them on the way home so I didn't have to backtrack 17 miles.

For the most part, the days of 5 gal buckets and 50 lb bags of feed is over. The vast majority of people who feed cake today never touch the cake themselves. Everyone here gets cake delivered to an overhead bin and fill the cake feeder in their pickup out of the bin.

John most TSC feed is little more than a low grade Purina. Check the tag. Regardless of the name on the bag or the name on the tag it will always say St Louis, Missouri unless it's one of the few feeds they also sell made by Cargill. It's all low quality and seldom fresh.

TexasBred":2uimsk8w said:
John most TSC feed is little more than a low grade Purina. Check the tag. Regardless of the name on the bag or the name on the tag it will always say St Louis, Missouri unless it's one of the few feeds they also sell made by Cargill. It's all low quality and seldom fresh.

I didn't do the math, but feed made in St Louis MO would have to travel around 800 miles at least to get here. So it couldn't be too fresh. :???:

I admit it has been a couple years since i have been in a TSC store. There are two TSC stores in my part of the state, both 100 miles away in either direction. I can usually find a better place closer to shop for my needs.

IMO, Campbell Supply, Runnings, and Bomgaar's are all vastly superior to TSC. The only feed I buy there is cat food ;-) Of course, cat food is the only feed I buy period nowdays. :oops:

Someone on another board nicknamed TSC "Townie Supply Company" and it certainly seems true when I was in the store. Looks like nowdays they cater mostly to weekend warrior/horsie people than farmers and ranchers :roll: When I was a kid, TSC was a pretty good ag store. TSC once even had their own brand of ag and automotive tires (Huskee) :)

We're that far from St. Louis too but every bag of Purina will have the St Louis name on it . Corporate headquarters are located there. Barcodes and other codes on the tag probably would designate exactly which plant made it.

TexasBred":35hwgf6b said:
We're that far from St. Louis too but every bag of Purina will have the St Louis name on it . Corporate headquarters are located there. Barcodes and other codes on the tag probably would designate exactly which plant made it.
I've lately tried some feed made by someone called Protocol--pretty high $$ for what it is but the cows sure like it.
Bridgeport Texas. Anyone familiar with them?

Honest question here.........When I feed a protein tub, it seems like my cows eat more hay. Anyone else ever experienced that?

Bigfoot":7za9wz2j said:
Honest question here.........When I feed a protein tub, it seems like my cows eat more hay. Anyone else ever experienced that?

Yes, and I understand it, that is supposed to be a good thing :p A protein tub feeds the microbes in the rumen which are what actually digests the hay. The more active rumen digests both low and higher quality hay faster, enabling the cow to eat/process more hay. Makes sense to me :idea:

For the same reason when feeding grain products, while some may good, too much is not better. Too much grain will inhibit the action of rumen microbes, and hay will become less digestible.

John SD":2udx819j said:
Bigfoot":2udx819j said:

Yes, and I understand it, that is supposed to be a good thing :p A protein tub feeds the microbes in the rumen which are what actually digests the hay. The more active rumen digests both low and higher quality hay faster, enabling the cow to eat/process more hay. Makes sense to me :idea:

For the same reason when feeding grain products, while some may good, too much is not better. Too much grain will inhibit the action of rumen microbes, and hay will become less digestible.

Interesting info.

John SD":3chridzz said:
Bigfoot":3chridzz said:

This is the best explanation I have seen on here in a while. Many people feed protien to save hay but unless you limit the amount you feed it may defeat the purpose.

Latest posts