Protecting our new calves

Help Support CattleToday:

rcnjcn

Reaction score
We always give our cows a scourguard shot prior to calving, also a Cattlemaster modified live for all of the resporitory viruses are these vaccines necessary or do to cows 5 years or older? Or do they pass enough protection to their calf without them.

I would also like to know if anyone gives their calves anything when they are born for prevention of problems?

Our new calves are first vaccinated for all diseases appropriate at about 3-4 months and again at about weaning (6-7 months). All cattle are re-vaccinated annually. All cattle are de-wormed with Ivomec Plus in spring and fall. New calves de-wormed first at about 3-4 months.

We keep our facility neat and clean and monitor all livestock once or twice daily. We have not had any disease or sickness problems on any of our stock. (Only time we had a calf at side "ill" was when he was with his dam at an A.I. station for one heat cycle, which was across the road from a sale barn--he was given an injection for respiratory problem and recovered well in short order.)

We are also a Texas Animal Health Commission "TB Accredited and Brucellosis Certified" disease free Longhorn herd. (Also, Longhorns are known for their inherent disease resistance).

Up here we have selenium deficient soil and short daylight hours during calving season, so we give the new calves a shot of vitamins A,D & E and selenium. When we had bad cases of scours in the past going through the calves, we also gave the newborn calves 5cc of Biomyacin as an extra boost.

Take care.

Like CattleAnnie, we are selenium deficent. Calves get selenium & AD&E shot at birth, plus we dip the naval with 7% iodine. By vaccinating the cows yearly for respiratory diseases, they build better antibodies in the colostrum for the calves to receive that early protection (which should last 3 months). Than, we also vaccinate calves at 3-4 months old and again just prior to weaning, along with deworming calves & cows twice a year.
We do not vaccinate our cows with scour guard vaccines, but only because we do not have a scour problem on our farm. It is GOOD protection and insurance that you won't have a scour problem with your calves.
IF, you need to give newborns any kind of antibiotics, I would recommend giving the calf a type of Probias to replace good bugs in their system.

we don't give them anything... just let them roam on a pasture or stalks... keeping them in a "dry" lot during calving is what causes a lot of early life problems in calves.

I go along with doc. An eartag pat on the butt works great . rubber band the bulls . Watch em for scours and give them a sulfa pill iffen any problems.

Latest posts