Proper shelter --- For beginners

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin":u8sye5f0 said:
Taurus
Re:
You have no idea how we managing the cow/calf operation in cold climates..…
Oh I think I do as I did it just like you when I was in PA and NY years ago.
I got the calving barn thingee from a poster back somewhere.

IMO cattle are hardy animals and can survive and calve in almost any weather.
But, if you can make it easier and make them more comfortable the better off ( profitable ) you'll be.

When I was 10 it was my job to plow the snow and make 2 parallel snow banks as high as I could to block the wind and cause the snow to drift where we wanted it to make a cleared place for the cows. That is where we fed them hay and the waste was left for bedding. And I would also add wood chips and/or saw dust in there to get them up off the frozen ground.

How many days of snow should I plan on when I turn in the bulls?? Should my calving date be determined by the average snow fall for the month? Please post the chart and url's so us commoners don't get confused.
All you need is a truck or tractor with a snow plow and a little time and fuel.

As I see: If it saved one calf, it was well worth it.
Nor do I see snow, cold and wind as a reason not to breed year-round.

SL

This seems to be the running theme lately, so why don't you people tell me how you do it in a cold climate? Why the guessing game?
Please enlighten me!
SL

Sir Loin":21qyu8pb said:
Nor do I see snow, cold and wind as a reason not to breed year-round.

SL
How about mud? :lol2: :lol2:
8507880012_76355357b6_z.jpg

It's pretty well taken that you haven't calved everywhere (none of us have), and I would suggest let it go, and stick to what you are doing and don't try to change the world.

I got a brand new calf born last night i reckon. Maybe you could come over and hold and umbrella over him tonight? Last i saw him he was getting a belly full of milk and under a cedar tree.

sim.-ang.king
Re: pic
And that is a management problem that needs to be addressed by the farm manager!
It is scenes like that that gives PETA their ammunition that all other cattlemen have to pay for.

If you didn't pull your bull out of the herd for seasonal breeding that wouldn't happen.
SL

What are you talking about? What you think the pasture the cows are in looks like? I think you need to cool the engines for sometime, and start thinking again

sim.-ang.king

Re:
What you think the pasture the cows are in looks like?
The one I see across the fence is nice and green, so why do you have him 6 inches of mud?
SL

Sir Loin":36r1za02 said:
This seems to be the running theme lately, so why don't you people tell me how you do it in a cold climate? Why the guessing game?
Please enlighten me!
SL

By calving in spring. When the worst of the cold and storms are over.
Are you enlightened yet?

regolith":1crad1oh said:
Sir Loin":1crad1oh said:
Please enlighten me!
SL

Are you enlightened yet?

And to capitalize on the spring flush to supply feed for the cows at their peak nutritional needs. Then the herd can be managed as one unit for the most part throughout the year.

Come on we all know how smart you are, you couldn't figure that out on your own?

It's called a yard...you know the place where your living shelter is, and if they were over there it would look like the lot they are in with in a couple days...because that's the way it is when you live in a wet climate on clay ground with 3" of top soil...even on a hill like where that bull is it doesn't drain. Like I said you haven't been everywhere, and you need to quit trying to change the world.

regolith":3gxys6k3 said:
Sir Loin":3gxys6k3 said:
Please enlighten me!
SL

Are you enlightened yet?
Or calving in fall before the first snow hits the ground. By the time when the temperatures hit -20 F the calves are already strong and fit.

I think I lost some of my IQ when I read Sir Lion's threads.......

Sir Loin":odl3mjm6 said:
sim.-ang.king
Re: pic
And that is a management problem that needs to be addressed by the farm manager!
It is scenes like that that gives PETA their ammunition that all other cattlemen have to pay for.

If you didn't pull your bull out of the herd for seasonal breeding that wouldn't happen.
SL
What's up with the PETA crap? Are you a PETA member? If so that explains why your brain is suffer from protein deficiency and have loose screws around your head....

I don't see where pita would have a problem with a bull standing in mud like that. I've seen a lot worse conditions. How do you keep the mud off your place SL? Cattle will always gather in certain spots and create a mud bog, even in the summer months.

Kscattle":2diaazai said:
I don't see where pita would have a problem with a bull standing in mud like that. I've seen a lot worse conditions. How do you keep the mud off your place SL? Cattle will always gather in certain spots and create a mud bog, even in the summer months.
Because he has the worlds largest cattle shelter...duh. :roll:

Sim Ang when the h@@@ did you bring your bull to my place. You didnt even knock and tell me you were taking a pic :eek:
Oh wait I mean that looks nothing like my place.

HOSS":3qhsauhc said:
TexasBred":3qhsauhc said:
Mine get food, water and in the summer they have a tree to stand under... In the winter they get that same tree.
Same for mine. They wouldn't know what to do in a barn or run-in. I think calving out in a pasture (or usually woods in my case) is healthier for the calf than in a confined space like a barn. Besides.......it didn't get cold enough this winter to freeze my ponds thicker than an 1/8" and it was gone by mid-morning. I can see the benefit of somebody in Minnisota or North Dakota calving in a barn.

I give mine a few acres of woods to run in, quite of few cedars help in the winter.

TexasBred":392h7uf1 said:
Mine get food, water and in the summer they have a tree to stand under... In the winter they get that same tree.
Same in my part of Texas, except I have a lot of trees in spots. Windy as heck here tonight. When I went to check on the cows, they had gone to the heavy timber out of the wind and cold.