Producers Panic as Ethanol Mandate Loses Support

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":10h537az said:
ibetyamissedme":10h537az said:
highgrit":10h537az said:
None of the money for CRP came from the Pittman-Robertson Act?? I thought that was used for wildlife habitat.
CRP payments are paid thru the Farm Bill. Same way LDP were paid thru the farm bill. You know those LDP payments, the ones that kept corn cheap for everyone else to buy.

You seem to have me confused with someone who cares what you think or have to say! Go crawl back under your rock.
I didn't confuse you when I made this statement, if I had I would have quoted you instead of highgrit. Maybe you should have stayed under your rock instead of jumping into a reply I made to highgrit using his quote. Just saying ;-)

TennesseeTuxedo":xd1ddkuj said:
Seriously inbredredneck, why are you such a pimp for the ethanol industry? I've always read that it takes more energy to produce the stuff than the energy it generates. Is that false?
I really would like to sit down some day and go thru those costs with people and see if they really think it should be billed against ethanol. Do you really think the all the energy used to run the irrigation pump, that watered the tomatoes, that the prostitute ate, the postitute who serviced the pipe fitter, that built the boiler, that heated the locker room for the 16 year high school kids football game, so his dad who worked at the ethanol plant could know his son would be warm at halftime?

ibetyamissedme":17nislo0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":17nislo0 said:
Seriously inbredredneck, why are you such a pimp for the ethanol industry? I've always read that it takes more energy to produce the stuff than the energy it generates. Is that false?
I really would like to sit down some day and go thru those costs with people and see if they really think it should be billed against ethanol. Do you really think the all the energy used to run the irrigation pump, that watered the tomatoes, that the prostitute ate, the postitute who serviced the pipe fitter, that built the boiler, that heated the locker room for the 16 year high school kids football game, so his dad who worked at the ethanol plant could know his son would be warm at halftime?

Nice dodge.

The energy balance calculation on ethanol can be calculated to show any result one wants to come up with. People with degrees after their names can (and do) calculate completely opposite answers, depending on who is paying their consulting bill.

It's all in your initial assumptions including how the corn was grown. Corn grain based ethanol can show a very positive net energy balance.

Jim

Without government handouts, nothing will beat coal and oil. And this country has a surplus of both. The government want's us to want them, it's job security. And the government will keep buying and spending to make us think we need them till we're broke.
And they might of succeeded already. Oil, gas and coal is unbeatable, it's really that simple.

Come on tuxedo what do you mean nice dodge I just showed you only one of the many energy costs they use to figure the total energy used when producing ethanol. I can show you thousands more. How was I dodging? If I had to include every bit of energy used to grow the barely, to produce the beer, to haul the beer, so on and so forth for the beer that my workers drink every night after working in the feedlot, I would go broke including those costs in the production of beef so I don't, yet they do it to ethanol.

SRBeef":2lu6a46m said:
The energy balance calculation on ethanol can be calculated to show any result one wants to come up with. People with degrees after their names can (and do) calculate completely opposite answers, depending on who is paying their consulting bill.It's all in your initial assumptions including how the corn was grown. Corn grain based ethanol can show a very positive net energy balance.

Jim

And they graph it in Excel so it LOOKS like it must have great content!
It's the "Falutin index"! :lol2:

Tb told me how much ddg comes from a bushel of corn, and it made me feel a little better about buying the stuff. Anybody know what the conversion rate on a bushel of corn to a gallon of ethanol is? It might change my perspective on ethanol as well.

SRBeef":13ldifyk said:
The energy balance calculation on ethanol can be calculated to show any result one wants to come up with. People with degrees after their names can (and do) calculate completely opposite answers, depending on who is paying their consulting bill.

It's all in your initial assumptions including how the corn was grown. Corn grain based ethanol can show a very positive net energy balance.

Jim

See what the American public doesn't understand is Exxon etc is in the money business not energy.
If it was cheaper to make energy out cow manure tomorrow they wouldn't drill another well.
That is one of the reasons a major refinery hasn't been built since 1974 you can't build one and pay for it in the next twenty years. Another reason diesel is so high it is cheaper to send it overseas or convert it to gasoline than build the units to remove sulfur to EPA requirements.
Btu's is what drives your vehicle no matter what it is.
That is just science you can't get around. A gallon of gasoline with out ethanol is roughly 115,000 btu's depending on winter time or summertime blend with ethanol 110,000. You are buying less energy per gallon so you have to buy more fuel to move X load Y distance.
Diesel is 130,000 btus per gallon or if you want to put it in pounds a gallon of diesel is 7.2 pounds gasoline 6.0 pounds.
This is why people think their diesel truck is getting better mileage per gallon and it is on a gallon basis.
On a pound basis it is not. The reason it is not sold on the pound basis is due to what is known as fluffing the barrel.
Through catalytic conversion and hydrogen uptake the oil industry has had the technology to expand the barrel volume by 15 % since WWII.
So a 100 barrels go in and 115 come out of higher octane than the original feedstock you can't do that with ethanol.
Gasoline is a higher energy cheaper fuel to produce with a infrastructure in place to move it. Again ethanol sucks in the transportation department as it absorbs water so ship and pipeline are the least desirable methods. Ethanol and water are miscible liquids is where the problem is created.

Oil and water don't mix. Pouring 10 mL of olive oil into 10 mL of water results in two distinct layers, clearly separated by a curved meniscus. Each layer has the same volume and essentially the same composition as the original liquids. Because very little mixing has apparently occured, the liquids are called "immisicible" or unmixable .
Pouring grain alcohol into water results in a single liquid phase. No meniscus forms between the alcohol and the water, and the two liquids are considered "miscible".

I just played with the numbers a little. If roughly 65% of the original bushel of corn is turned to ddg, and then sold, and 2.8 gallons of ethanol can be made from a bushel of corn---------Why is it subsidized? Seems like it should be selling cheaper than it is. The cost of production must be astronomical.

ibetyamissedme":1vmsrqpb said:
Bigfoot":1vmsrqpb said:
Tb told me how much ddg comes from a bushel of corn, and it made me feel a little better about buying the stuff. Anybody know what the conversion rate on a bushel of corn to a gallon of ethanol is? It might change my perspective on ethanol as well.
Local plant is 2.82 gallons per bushel.

Wow that really sucks.
You took 55 pounds of feedstock and made 18 pounds of energy roughly 300,000 btus.
Take the same 55 pounds of crude is 7.8 gallons expanded through technology to 8.9 gallons producing over 900,000 btus.
Crude is the winner winner 55 pounds went in and 55 pounds came out with a 15% volume increase as well octane enhanced 40 over the feedstock.

Caustic Burno":tcu6nvjb said:
ibetyamissedme":tcu6nvjb said:
Bigfoot":tcu6nvjb said:

Wow that really sucks.
You took 55 pounds of feedstock and made 18 pounds of energy roughly 300,000 btus.
Take the same 55 pounds of crude is 7.8 gallons expanded through technology to 8.9 gallons producing over 900,000 btus.
Crude is the winner winner 55 pounds went in and 55 pounds came out with a 15% volume increase as well octane enhanced 40 over the feedstock.

What he said.

Caustic Burno":356hrk6w said:
ibetyamissedme":356hrk6w said:
Bigfoot":356hrk6w said:

Wow that really sucks.
Caustic were you involved with the energy usage summary they did on ethanol? Looks like the same sketchy math you used here they used on that.

Bigfoot":14y4q0hn said:
I just played with the numbers a little. If roughly 65% of the original bushel of corn is turned to ddg, and then sold, and 2.8 gallons of ethanol can be made from a bushel of corn---------Why is it subsidized? Seems like it should be selling cheaper than it is. The cost of production must be astronomical.
Ask the oil guys they get the subsidy check for the ethanol.

Caustic Burno":2hi6f4ji said:
SRBeef":2hi6f4ji said:

Jim

See what the American public doesn't understand is Exxon etc is in the money business not energy.
If it was cheaper to make energy out cow manure tomorrow they wouldn't drill another well.
That is one of the reasons a major refinery hasn't been built since 1974 you can't build one and pay for it in the next twenty years. Another reason diesel is so high it is cheaper to send it overseas or convert it to gasoline than build the units to remove sulfur to EPA requirements.
Btu's is what drives your vehicle no matter what it is.
That is just science you can't get around. A gallon of gasoline with out ethanol is roughly 115,000 btu's depending on winter time or summertime blend with ethanol 110,000. You are buying less energy per gallon so you have to buy more fuel to move X load Y distance.
Diesel is 130,000 btus per gallon or if you want to put it in pounds a gallon of diesel is 7.2 pounds gasoline 6.0 pounds.
This is why people think their diesel truck is getting better mileage per gallon and it is on a gallon basis.
On a pound basis it is not. The reason it is not sold on the pound basis is due to what is known as fluffing the barrel.
Through catalytic conversion and hydrogen uptake the oil industry has had the technology to expand the barrel volume by 15 % since WWII.
So a 100 barrels go in and 115 come out of higher octane than the original feedstock you can't do that with ethanol.
Gasoline is a higher energy cheaper fuel to produce with a infrastructure in place to move it. Again ethanol sucks in the transportation department as it absorbs water so ship and pipeline are the least desirable methods. Ethanol and water are miscible liquids is where the problem is created.

Oil and water don't mix. Pouring 10 mL of olive oil into 10 mL of water results in two distinct layers, clearly separated by a curved meniscus. Each layer has the same volume and essentially the same composition as the original liquids. Because very little mixing has apparently occured, the liquids are called "immisicible" or unmixable .
Pouring grain alcohol into water results in a single liquid phase. No meniscus forms between the alcohol and the water, and the two liquids are considered "miscible".
It is good to see you back Camp ;-)

ibetyamissedme":g4ersao3 said:
Bigfoot":g4ersao3 said:
Ask the oil guys they get the subsidy check for the ethanol.

Why should ANYBODY be getting a subsidy check for ethanol?

Latest posts