Ethanol corn question

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I know the corn used for ethanol production is different than sweet corn for grocery stores but is it any different than the corn used for livestock feed?

Is there a 'special' type or species that has to be used for ethanol plants?

I know the corn used for ethanol production is different than sweet corn for grocery stores but is it any different than the corn used for livestock feed?

Down here we call ethanol, moonshine. Either you grow a lot of field corn to make shone with, or you buy it at the feed store. Sweet corn you grow in your garden to eat. You could make ethanol, or shine or feed out of sweet corn if you wanted to, I suppose. But nobody does.

#2 yellow dent corn. Which is what 99% of all field corn is. Same as what animal feed is made of. Enogen corn will get a premium, but not all plants can take it.

Down here we call ethanol, moonshine. Either you grow a lot of field corn to make shone with, or you buy it at the feed store. Sweet corn you grow in your garden to eat. You could make ethanol, or shine or feed out of sweet corn if you wanted to, I suppose. But nobody does.
Well part of what makes good shine is the sugars in it. Sweet corn has more sugar.
Do they still make shine down there? I thought that was just for TV.

Well part of what makes good shine is the sugars in it. Sweet corn has more sugar.
Do they still make shine down there? I thought that was just for TV.
Shoot yeah. There are several legal moonshine distilleries in Georgia. The state started allowing it about 6 years or so ago. This year will be the first year they can sell bourbon. Bourbon has to be barreled 7 years to be called bourbon. Some put some of their shine in charred-oak barrels, but it has to be called bourbon flavored moonshine if it is less than 7 years old.
Water, corn, sugar and yeast are the ingredients for moonshine. I don't know if sweet corn is still all that sweet if it is allowed to get ripe and is combined like field corn. Never seen anyone do it. Most people hand-pick their sweet corm while the husks are green and the corn is juicy. I have a good friend that owns a distillery in north Ga, and I will ask him about that.

Last edited:

The answer is YES.

But you have to fertilize it with fairy dust and unicorn whiffles.

Pfft... You guys know nothing about shine!

Edit: Please don't drink any made with a radiator, bad things will happen! Copper only and the correct proportions of corn and sugar.

Take them out every night.
But wash them in good clear "Spring Water" almost daily.
Do you leave them in a jar?

When I'm too damn old to sit a horse, I'll steal the warden's car
Break my ass out of this prison, leave my teeth there in a jar
You don't need no teeth for kissin' gals or smokin' cheap cigars
I'll sleep with one eye open, 'neath God's celestial stars

Tonight we rock, Tonight we roll
We'll rob the Juarez liquor store for the Reposado Gold
And if we drink ourselves to death, ain't that the cowboy way to go?

Do you leave them in a jar?

love that song

Grampa told of going down to Douglas to see if they could see Pancho Villa or General Pershing as a kid around 12 or 13, he and his buddies got stopped by some kind of security and asked what they were doing and one of them said they were just on their way home over yonder. the soldiers snickered and made them go the other direction. the way the boys indicated was actually the red light district.

I can still hear him laughing at his teen self at 75.

Ferment in a crock or glass vat. Distill in copper or stainless with threaded (not soldered) fittings (Never use galvanized containers)
A copper pipe coiled in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a grommet to keep cold water around the pipe. A two or three gallon boiler
will work using a wet towel laced with flour to seal the lid. It will smell like you are baking bread . Run it off on the kitchen stove
with the cooler coil on the counter and a jar in the sink You can actually bake bread at the same time so if unexpected company
pulls in the still can be knocked down and out of sight before they are out of the car. I don't know anyone that doesn't like fresh
hot bread! Rye and apricot is much better than corn. Sweet on the tongue, warm on the chest! Keep any recipes between your
ears. Tip, if you shake your product and the bubbles are half above and half below the top you are close to 90 proof.
Of course all of this is from a dream I had years ago when we lived on the Pickyune.

Latest posts