Producers Panic as Ethanol Mandate Loses Support

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef":x3379do9 said:
Ethanol is the best thing to happen to rural America in a long, long time. Oil companies want to sell oil not corn by products.

The main reason corn prices went crazy last year is the drought, NOT ethanol.

Ethanol made from grain can be a very sustainable, useful tool.

I do not think we should increase beyond 10% for now but to eliminate ethanol plays right into the highly subsidized oil companies' lobbying plan.

Most gas stations I use also offer an ethanol free premium for lawn and garden equipment but most small engines are now designed to run on gas containing ethanol.

The "problem with a Yamaha outboard" is a small issue compared to the oil that ethanol has saved, and what it has done for much of rural America.

Small towns are revived, schools and houses built. The corn producer can drive down US Hwy 12 in SD and see on a large illuminated sign what the price of corn is and not dependent on railroad and barge shipped exports to the Far East or wherever...

Jim

All ethanol was good for was to increase taxes on all American's disguised as energy savings.
Gas mileage went down taxes went up win win for the politician. We had to buy more gallons of less efficient fuel.

JSCATTLE":3o257buy said:
ibetyamissedme":3o257buy said:
So JSCattle because I'm able to use over 25 years of history to deny your claims that makes me a jackass?
No the way you talk to people like you are better or have better makes you a jack ass . And I don't give A be nice what experience you claim ethanol is bad for outboards and small engines . And while we are at it drop some history on us about this subject because all I've seen you you say is I buy junk . And don't link government sites as your source because we all know they are biased .
I don't need a government website to tell me what I have taken part of for the last quarter century, every time you folks make wild ass claims about ethanol wrecking stuff I just laugh. After a quarter century of mandated use we have never fixed anything because of ethanol. You sound just like ol E10 he claimed he used the stuff once and had nothing but problems with it. Then he told us he would never buy that stuff again. Problem with that was he had unknowingly been using it for over a year with zero problems. Propaganda that's all.

ibetyamissedme":1x303exd said:
Caustic what is the btu of mtbe ?

I would have to pull out one of my books to 100% sure but if memory serves me right around 100,000 per gallon about the same as ethanol both sucked and both were EPA mandated.

Red Bull Breeder":cqdsmf11 said:
Corn is not near the best thing to make ethanol out of. About any old hillbilly knows that.

Depends on how you look at it. Making ethanol from corn grain removes less from the soil and is much more sustainable than the I am aware of cellulosic ideas floating around.

The DDG etc by-products from corn ethanol make good livestock feed ingredients.

Moonshine may be a different matter... ;-)

Jim

My favorite thing about Ethanol is the million acres of CRP that are not with us anymore. The wildlife population of the MiDwest has been dealt a severe blow.

That and the fact that it blows as fuel.

SRBeef":3txpq9m4 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3txpq9m4 said:
Corn is not near the best thing to make ethanol out of. About any old hillbilly knows that.

Depends on how you look at it. Making ethanol from corn grain removes less from the soil and is much more sustainable than the I am aware of cellulosic ideas floating around.

The DDG etc by-products from corn ethanol make good livestock feed ingredients.

Moonshine may be a different matter... ;-)

Jim
Does not depend on how you look at it lots of stuff will work for ethanol than corn. Corn makes dam good whiskey but takes a hell of a lot of work for a little product.

ibetyamissedme":1haaqb3g said:
3waycross":1haaqb3g said:
My favorite thing about Ethanol is the million acres of CRP that are not with us anymore. The wildlife population of the Miswest has been dealt a severe blow.

That and the fact that it blows as fuel.
Those million acres of CRP land where did the money come from to pay those landowners? ;-)

I know exactly where it came from. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the other trillions wasted by the government.

SRBeef":36pw1qti said:
Ethanol is the best thing to happen to rural America in a long, long time. Oil companies want to sell oil not corn by products.

I do not think we should increase beyond 10% for now but to eliminate ethanol plays right into the highly subsidized oil companies' lobbying plan.

Most gas stations I use also offer an ethanol free premium for lawn and garden equipment but most small engines are now designed to run on gas containing ethanol.

The "problem with a Yamaha outboard" is a small issue compared to the oil that ethanol has saved, and what it has done for much of rural America.

Small towns are revived, schools and houses built. The corn producer can drive down US Hwy 12 in SD and see on a large illuminated sign what the price of corn is and not dependent on railroad and barge shipped exports to the Far East or wherever...

Jim

So wonderful that small towns are revived. Apparently the only way to be prosperous is for us to all line up at the government trough. Let our masters decide the winners and losers.

Land of the free!

SRBeef":2esxt8pz said:
Ethanol is the best thing to happen to rural America in a long, long time.

HORSESHYT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT THEN LET IT SUSTAIN ITSELF. IT'S JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER GREEN IDEAS YOU FOLKS HAVE LIKE SOLAR AND WIND. IF THEY WORK SO WELL WHY DON'T THEY PAY THEIR OWN WAY.

Jim

This is another farm subsidy as it is not sustainable on it's own two legs without a government mandate.
Welfare for farmers no different than any other hog lining up at the trough.

None of the money for CRP came from the Pittman-Robertson Act?? I thought that was used for wildlife habitat.

I think the oil and gas industry is the best thing to happen to rural america. They are thousand of people working on the rigs subsidising their farm income with real good income. Not to mention the farmers getting money for their oil and gas and water or the great roads and fences built on those farms.

ibetyamissedme":2vbsdv9w said:
highgrit":2vbsdv9w said:
None of the money for CRP came from the Pittman-Robertson Act?? I thought that was used for wildlife habitat.
CRP payments are paid thru the Farm Bill. Same way LDP were paid thru the farm bill. You know those LDP payments, the ones that kept corn cheap for everyone else to buy.

You seem to have me confused with someone who cares what you think or have to say! Go crawl back under your rock.

Red Bull Breeder":1qvwcfxz said:
Does not depend on how you look at it lots of stuff will work for ethanol than corn. Corn makes dam good whiskey but takes a be nice of a lot of work for a little product.

yeah but you get a whole lot more than $3.00 a gallon for that shine. :lol: :lol: And the DDG from it is awesome. ;-)

Craig Miller":cjzmieu4 said:
I think the oil and gas industry is the best thing to happen to rural america. They are thousand of people working on the rigs subsidising their farm income with real good income. Not to mention the farmers getting money for their oil and gas and water or the great roads and fences built on those farms.

You hit the nail on the head good paying jobs with benefits for lots of Americans. It goes way past just oil and gas industry to all the industries supporting it.
There has many a thread on this board about welfare whether it be subsidized housing, food stamps etc.
Farm subsidies are the same thing a government handout of American taxpayer dollars.
The hypocritical and funny part is it is not welfare to the farmer /rancher.
Look at the Farm Bill it is just another welfare program and has been for the last seven decades.
The farm subsidies came to life decades before LBJ's Great society.

"You might think that no sensible policy maker would have handed out about $80 billion dollars in welfare checks mainly to very wealthy farm households at the rate of about $5 billion a year for doing nothing since the mid-1990s, but you would be wrong. The House and Senate Agricultural Committees have been more than happy to do exactly that through the Direct Payments program.
Then there is the fiscal fiasco called the federal crop insurance program. When you and I buy home owners or auto insurance, or small and large businesses purchase property and casualty insurance, we pay premiums that cover the full commercial costs to the private insurance companies that design, deliver, and service those insurance contracts. That is not the world of federally subsidized crop insurance. In that Wonderland world, taxpayers cover 70 percent of the insurance premium costs (all of the administrative costs and an average of about 62% of expected losses). Not quite the way a free enterprise market based system would envisage how a service should be offered or paid for."

Latest posts