Prices in 2014

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
My wife and I were reviewing the business part of our operation for the last four years. Weighing cows in 2014 were bringing 1.20 pound. 500 pound calves bringing $1250 and upward. Wow great prices why did I not quit when I was ahead. That is a question I have no answers to.

How about all the ding a lings that kept heifers back, bet they feel real smart about now. We culled hard this spring because of the lack of rain, it's better to be lucky than good.

I have a friend that was heavily invested in Jersey steers in 2014. He made a killing and was able to buy a bunch of equipment. He tried the same thing the next year and let's just say he didn't owe any income taxes for a few years.

Dave":192r1474 said:
And anyone who had been in this business for very long knew those prices couldn't stay for long.
That's where the price needs to be to make a few dollars. And I'm expecting to see it again one of these days.

sstterry":25r6vauk said:
True Grit Farms":25r6vauk said:
Dave":25r6vauk said:
And anyone who had been in this business for very long knew those prices couldn't stay for long.
That's where the price needs to be to make a few dollars. And I'm expecting to see it again one of these days.
I hope it is soon!! :D
I wouldn't hold your breath.

According to our retired extension agent, prices do need to be near to the highs in 2014; figuring inflation, cost increases in fuel, fertilizer, and equipment costs; wages and all figured in. Tell that to the dairy farmers that are getting less for their milk than in 1989.....

But regardless, I do think that we will see a rise in prices in about 2-3 years, not that high, but maybe enough to make you think that getting out is a good thing. IF and only IF, we do not see a disaster with the political situation, that could actually trigger us to go into a big recession. The stock market's big drops are a little scary, but we need some correction. If the Republicans win the mid-term elections, there will be sure a hue and cry from the other party.... but I think we will see a brief resurgence in the stock market and then a possible real fall. I know I am trying to get situated for it. Rather to have stuff and not need it than to need it and not have it.

As has been stated in the thread "Any Thoughts"; a recession will be very different due to the complete reversal of much of the population that was on the farm or could be somewhat self sufficient.... to today where most all are NOT close enough to the "self-sufficiency" type lifestyle. Then the have nots will try to destroy the haves just to try to survive a few more days or weeks without realizing, or caring, that they are destroying any possibility of surviving long term. We will be taken over by some other country that will impose a total dictatorship type govt and we will all suffer as a result.

I have a corn/bean guy near me who has been saying "prices have to go up" for 4 years now. :( I don't think it works that way. Some are forecasting a lot more corn acres and even lower corn prices next year...

Cheap feed and increased exports have kept cow/calf from taking an even bigger hit since 2014. There are a few making decent profits at current beef prices. :cowboy: Check out the Wally Olson website for one approach.

I sold 90% of my herd for 2600 / hd bred old cows I bought at the yard.

hundred 30 k in my pocket plus the nicest cows in my herd still with me paid for in full..

love it.

Latest posts