Price for pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

Ben04

Reaction score
What would a guy be looking at having to spend for older pairs right now? Looking at getting my foot into the cow calf business. Just looking at starting with around 10 cows. Also, what suggestions would you have for breeding a small heard, ie 10 cows? Lease a bull? Thanks in advance.

In my part of the country right now around 1600 to 2000. I would get me some fullblooded angus and a reg horned hereford and look foward to some nice baldies.

Here at our sale this week there was about 300 good cows and pairs, the top end pair was only 1600$ this week, and if you don't mind some older cows you could get some good ones for 1400$. And i would buy a bull rather than renting if posible.

Is 1600 the going price most weeks now? Higher here but there are very, very, very few selling. I cant understand your calves are so much higher but our cows are higher.

Going up here if you can find them.
Seen 4 good brangus heifer's come through today and they sold them by the pound.
They brought a 1.61 that averaged to 1300 a heifer.
Seen two othe cow's worth returning to the farm today.
Cow's have dried up here in the last month.

First calf heifer pairs at Clinton, OK this week - 1000# cows w/100# calves, $1800 - $2050 on the top end blacks, $1750 - $1800 on Charolais crosses from the same set, $1650 on the ones that showed some ear. Some extra fancy black pairs, same age, same size last week - $2100 - $2250. Haven't had any older, keeping quality pairs to speak of in the past few weeks.

The most unusal thing I have seen at the barn in a long time was yesterday.
Somebody was selling a two year old Brahman bull registered certified virgin.
He went for a little over a thousand dollar's. He would have done much better advertising him.

kenny thomas":3vk4i5xs said:
Is 1600 the going price most weeks now? Higher here but there are very, very, very few selling. I cant understand your calves are so much higher but our cows are higher.
No, there are still some nice young black or yellow pairs bringing close to 2000$. these at our sale this week were all charolais cows, but they did have good yellow calves so i though they should have been higher.

TexasBred":3qb8mxjj said:
"Older" pairs usually get split up and sold separate around here.
They do here also, but if they are a BM cow and still have good feet and a good udder they sometimes get left together, and atleast tried like that and if they don't sell like that then they are split up.

Latest posts