Prenancy Test

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was talking to my wife a few weeks back, wondering why no one has come up with a simular pregnancy test to the one most women use. It seems a simple way for individuals to confirm early pregnancy in cattle. Taking a urine sample in cattle could potentially determine if a cow is pregnant within 2 to 3 weeks. It's not that messy, would be easy to do in a shute and I'm sure that you could "feasibly" even come up with a way to attach a strip to the animal where it would be practical (we actually brain stormed a few ideas :)), to just read it in the field (like PH paper). Are the components of that type test that expensive that it would not be cost effective to make it on a larger scale? I know there is a new blood test out there that can give you early confirmation, and there is also ultrasound, but they can get expensive and require facilities and the like. Seems like something like this would be cheap, and maybe sell like hotcakes. Wish I had money to pursue an idea like this! :(

What is y'alls thoughts on this?

P.S. Alice, this has nothing to do with "collecting the urine", but that could be any easy way to do it too! :p :D

1848":1r5k7kpe said:
I was talking to my wife a few weeks back, wondering why no one has come up with a simular pregnancy test to the one most women use. It seems a simple way for individuals to confirm early pregnancy in cattle. Taking a urine sample in cattle could potentially determine if a cow is pregnant within 2 to 3 weeks. It's not that messy, would be easy to do in a shute and I'm sure that you could "feasibly" even come up with a way to attach a strip to the animal where it would be practical (we actually brain stormed a few ideas :)), to just read it in the field (like PH paper). Are the components of that type test that expensive that it would not be cost effective to make it on a larger scale? I know there is a new blood test out there that can give you early confirmation, and there is also ultrasound, but they can get expensive and require facilities and the like. Seems like something like this would be cheap, and maybe sell like hotcakes. Wish I had money to pursue an idea like this! :(

P.S. Alice, this has nothing to do with "collecting the urine", but that could be any easy way to do it too! :p :D

Like I'd offer to hold the cup? :shock: My gosh, think about a cow peeing on a stick! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wouldn't stand close if someone put a barrel under that cow! I was raised on a dairy...I was in the barn when those cows let loose...sent me to the showers...made my Daddy laugh (something I miss so much).

Alice

Alice":2xhnprwr said:
I was raised on a dairy...I was in the barn when those cows let loose...sent me to the showers...made my Daddy laugh (something I miss so much).

Alice

I alwasy thought that they were being thoughtful and washing off the residue from the ones that had taken a dump and spattered everybody and thing in the parlor.

dun

dun":6f15wzyt said:
Alice":6f15wzyt said:
I was raised on a dairy...I was in the barn when those cows let loose...sent me to the showers...made my Daddy laugh (something I miss so much).

Alice

I alwasy thought that they were being thoughtful and washing off the residue from the ones that had taken a dump and spattered everybody and thing in the parlor.

dun

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! That sounds like something my Daddy would have said!

Alice

A company called Biotracking offers a blood test for $2.25 per sample. The test is 99% accurate 30 days after breeding. When I talked to the man on the phone, I suggested he work on a test that could be done chute side. His remark was that they had it and were waiting on the patent. The blood test is really cheap, accurate and only takes 27 hours after they get the blood. Blood does not have to be cold during transport. I have used it numerous times and have been very satisfied.

1848":2htqeznl said:

The blood test is cheep (about 3 bucks I think) anyone can draw the blood and ship it .

I know the blood test are out there, but I'm talking about "convenience". Individuals who wouldn't normally attempt sticking a needle in an animal themselves (they always go to the vet because they don't want to mess with it, can't do it, won't do it, or just don't have the facilities to draw blood.). You also would not have to mess with shipping the results, (More expense) and then waiting 30 days. (I can palp at 45 and save the expense) The technology exist to even have it read in less then 2 weeks with the type of technology I am referring too (advertisements). It could work for all types of animals too. Goats, sheep, cattle, horses. A child with a show animal could do it very easily, and typically many of these kids don't have the facilities at their disposal without transporting them somewhere which involves, hauling, fuel, and their time.
It would make a handy confirmation device if anything, and prevent that "untimely" trip back to the vet.

1848":1oyriuk8 said:

Aren't you a little long in the tooth to be reading and looking into EPT's at Walgreens.

There is a teest gizmo that you can use on lactating cows to determine pregnancy. Don;t know much about it other then one of the local dairyman won one of them at the Dairy Conference several years ago and after a couple of months went back to plapation.

dun

I,m going start raising rabbits. Everytime a cow is checked preg, I sell the rabbit to nearest asian restaurant.

AngusLimoX":tstnqyng said:
I don't understand. If the cow has been exposed to my bull for 60 days, she is pregnant. Why the need to test?

:lol:

Early test results for AI would be great.

When I first started reading the thread, I was invisioning myself standing behind a cow in the squeeze chute for an hour or two waiting for the cow to pee. Laughed so hard I darn near couldn,t read the rest of the thread.

AngusLimoX":fqu82ke8 said:
I don't understand. If the cow has been exposed to my bull for 60 days, she is pregnant. Why the need to test?

:lol:

Because she may not be. Could be the bull has started shooting blanks, thecow has a minor infection or stress, etc.

If it couldn;t happen all herds would run 100% calving rates.

dun

dun":1emqg1mq said:
novatech":1emqg1mq said:
Early test results for AI would be great.

There is one, it's called a heat cycle

dun

I agree, almost. But then I have that one heifer I mentioned in another post "Heifer Won,t Stand" That has made me rather gun shy. Secondly these are brahman which seem to be a little different. Most of the time during the summer they will only show signs of heat at night and only stay in for a short period of time. It is rare to catch one during the day. In the cooler months they seem to stay in for a much longer period of time. The spotter bull, with a ball marker, has helped me a lot with that night problem.

Caustic Burno":1shuc6es said:
1848":1shuc6es said:

Aren't you a little long in the tooth to be reading and looking into EPT's at Walgreens.

That may be a bit of an ego boost for me, just stand in the EPT isle looking at different test, when a young lady walks up just give her a wink and a nod. :D Just kidding, been there done that with kids, I'll take the grandchildren.

I would like a simple, on site, test. It would be great for AI work.

Alan

I found this tread during a search for pregnancy detection. I've got 2 cows and 5 heifers that I'd like to pregnancy test. Handful of vets in the area are very busy or aren't dealing with bovine any more...

3 of them I'm sure are pregnant - but the others have had clear fluid discharge followed by small amount of blood on their tales every 21 days, BUT when the young bull in the field has tried to mount them, they walk away. Only 2 were covered by a neighboring farmers bull, the others were AI'd.

Most all were AI'd in Jan, time with the bull was Feb, as time has progressed the bull just sniff's and curls his nose but doesn't try to mount them. None of them are standing. So, I'm just not sure if they are pregnant.

I too had thought about the EPT test but sure the hormones are different. Is there something out there to preg check these girls??

One local vet said a dairy farmer in PA was using a bovine ept test and that Jeffers offered it -- I've searched and cannot find anything. ???? anyone seen such a device???

coolpop":qjprxgfb said:
I found this tread during a search for pregnancy detection. I've got 2 cows and 5 heifers that I'd like to pregnancy test. Handful of vets in the area are very busy or aren't dealing with bovine any more...

3 of them I'm sure are pregnant - but the others have had clear fluid discharge followed by small amount of blood on their tales every 21 days, BUT when the young bull in the field has tried to mount them, they walk away. Only 2 were covered by a neighboring farmers bull, the others were AI'd.

Most all were AI'd in Jan, time with the bull was Feb, as time has progressed the bull just sniff's and curls his nose but doesn't try to mount them. None of them are standing. So, I'm just not sure if they are pregnant.

I too had thought about the EPT test but sure the hormones are different. Is there something out there to preg check these girls??

One local vet said a dairy farmer in PA was using a bovine ept test and that Jeffers offered it -- I've searched and cannot find anything. ???? anyone seen such a device???

Try this site

http://www.biotracking.com/benefits.php

Latest posts