Silver bullet test results

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
I tested my herd bulls today. For as cold as it has been in North Central Nebraska it was plenty early, but if I need a bull I want to know soon enough Im not picking through everyones left overs.

Out of 6 head, 1 flunked and 2 are marginal. The flunk is done, his pecker is banana shaped towards the back legs. Bull #2, is a 7 year old. He gave a good sample, but it just went straight down....like a 90 degree angle from his belly. Granted the silver bullet test isn't like a real cow. I have one bull whos a breeder but never has extended with a BSE, but has bred everything while running by itself. Vet "passed" this bull even though it went straight down. This kinda concerns me. Vets comment was "oh it'll probably straighten out with a cow." The other questionable bull has coiled, not bent tails. He's a 2 year old. Usually Ill retest a new purchase. I didn't do that last year. I asked the vet if this is weather/feed related or genetic. He said he wasn't sure about that. Just said that they won't swim as well. This bull ran by himself last year and had a higher than normal open rate, but not alarming. We had drought, and this was a freshly rented pasture that had been used hard in the past. I thought cow BCS wasn't horrible, but grass was short. This bull was also late born. So he could have been bigger in frame size. Bought it as a calf on a disbursal sale. Breeder grew him over the winter, but he was still rather small in frame. Thought Id run him on open heifers/smaller cows and let him grow. I think he just didn't have enough groceries to breed and develop. Even though he was with 22 cows and only 160 acres. He has nice numbers and phenotype proportionately. Just small frame. Calves look nice so far that he has sired. I have purchased a new bull this year already. Id prefer to not have to buy another bull this year. I could probably squeak by with 4, but 5 would be better. I really don't need 6. Last years purchase was more or less a speculating investment. If I have to buy, I can. Just drought last year, and still dang dry....expenses are adding up.

So now my questions. Bull number 2 that has a vertical erection. Whats the scoop on that? He passed 80% and slow swirl. The other one has coiled tails and proximal droplets. 70% and slow swirl. His erection is normal. So if he's tall enough to hit the hole, his problem is they don't swim real well. The other one is tall enough, just not sure if he'll get a forward facing erection. If it gets in the hole, other than his age....he's by far the better of the 2. So I guess im asking for a better explanation of coiled tails and whats everyones past experiences with vertical erections?

Sounds like you should cash in 3 and buy 2. If their erection doesn't point the right way (straight forward, centered between his front legs) bulls don't aim very well. They just kind of throw it until they hit their mark. If they ejaculate before they hit that mark they just wasted a breeding and potentially are spreading out your calving season.

On a side note I find it interesting that you call it "the silver bullet" the vet clinic I worked for called it "Big John". One of the vets I used to use called it "the A$$ rocket"

Ya, that's the bull I'm really questioning. I've got a bull that no matter what you do he doesn't extend at the clinic. Yet he's always doing it out in the cow herd. I don't have a degree in veterinary medicine, but I question my vet saying he'll "straighten" out.

On a side note, I live basically between 3 vet clinics. One year I took my bulls to this vet. Had one flunk. Don't remember why, he did. Had to go to a different town the next day, and took him along just for the hell of it. Pretty sure it wasn't just old junky stuff, but maybe it was. Bull passed the next day. So IDK if it's even worth it to do, but I do it every year anyway. I'm not so confident about this one.

Color is not an issue. We develop on fescue and the semen can be near greenish and is always mentioned. Any potential abnormality will likely provide reduced calving % or slower breeding. If there is an abnormality, I always beef them.

Ya, that's the bull I'm really questioning. I've got a bull that no matter what you do he doesn't extend at the clinic. Yet he's always doing it out in the cow herd. I don't have a degree in veterinary medicine, but I question my vet saying he'll "straighten" out.

On a side note, I live basically between 3 vet clinics. One year I took my bulls to this vet. Had one flunk. Don't remember why, he did. Had to go to a different town the next day, and took him along just for the hell of it. Pretty sure it wasn't just old junky stuff, but maybe it was. Bull passed the next day. So IDK if it's even worth it to do, but I do it every year anyway. I'm not so confident about this one.
Did he fail after a single ejaculate? If it's been a long time since he's bred anything, the first sample can be stale. I've had lots of bulls test fine after they "clean out the pipes".

Oh the vet let a little bit of stuff go on the ground before putting the slide underneath. Ya, I know there can be a rusty load in the front. I'll probably retest the bent tails one. The one I'm more concerned about is the one who gave a sample without a forward facing erection, yet the vet passed him.