Preg test

Help Support CattleToday:

The new vet that I have started working with is by the hr. He pregs my fall cows, and extremely inexpensive. The old vet was starting to have shoulder issues. He was $7.50/ a cow to arm. $5.50 including shipping for blood test if I drew the blood. That turned into a teaching opportunity. We now have the college students come out and learn hands on how to pull blood from a cow.
Seems it would be easier to learn, we're definitely smart enough to. Our daughter is going to go to a class to learn how to use a sonogram, we'll see where that goes..

The man that preg checks for me brings a horse to help pen the cows. Sorts them from the calves, preg checks, and helps deal with any issues we might have then stays and helps work the calves. He does all the for $3 a head. I always give him $3 a head plus a day worker fee but most only give him the $3 a head. Super nice guy too. He's very accurate and I hope he keeps going for along time. Oh yes most of the time he rounds up the cowboy crew too.

Got the send in blood test and did a whole friggen herd. Was mind numbing. But got the readings back. Once our son learned a system for getting the blood, it wasnt that slow. He got pretty good at it. Sent off 68. Had a lot of open second calf heifers. We have a lot of test left, so, who knows what we'll test next. But, i think we'll wait till we can get the read at home test next time.

Latest posts