Preg test

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Going to give it a try this year. I can go through and pick out the ones i can tell now just by looking and that will save us a few test. Anyone do these blood test?

Going to give it a try this year. I can go through and pick out the ones i can tell now just by looking and that will save us a few test. Anyone do these blood test?
We Bio-PRYN blood tests on the spring calving cows. We did 120 back in September. Fairly happy with the results. I typically find that the cows that come back "open" just aren't bred far enough along for the test to register.
If a tight calving window is important, then cull those cows even if they are short bred. Otherwise wait a couple months and repreg the open ones.
I've been using the blood tests for seven years. Never had an issue.

if your cows are well beyond the minimum 28 days, the test should be reliable enough to be trusted. I was testing in the 28-45 day range and had too many inaccurate results. both open cows testing bred and pregnant cows test open. I no longer use the blood test for pregnancy testing. Hope you have better luck.

Be aware of the timing for Biopyrn. Test a month or more after breeding or after the bulls are pulled from the pasture. And 3 months or more after their previous calf was born. The test looks for a specific protein that is produced by the placenta. If the cow has recently aborted, that protein can still be present in the blood and can result in a false positive. The test is supposed to be 97% accurate overall and 99% accurate in detecting open cows (1% testing false open). Not 100% accurate, but neither is palpation. Aggressive palpation "might" result in an abortion, which should not occur with the blood test.
Compare the convenience between palpation and blood test. If using a vet or other palpation person for preg testing, their schedule has to coordinated with your schedule. Biopyrn testing is pretty much your schedule. Fairly simple and low cost. Use a new needle for each sample. Use red top tubes for the samples. Get those from your vet or order from the Biopyrn lab.

We put bulls out mid May, pulled bulls in mid August.. Some are far enough along that i can tell, some no so much. It will be a few weeks before we get around to doing it, so timewise i think we're ok.

We run our bulls about that same time. Any reason for taking blood sample over the old manual method?

I use the bio-pryn lab in OKC called Cattle Stats. Your shipping time there should be no more than two days and they get the testing done the day it arrives and the results emailed back to you. The tech is there is good about labeling some of your results "suspicious" if the strength of the test is weak like the cow aborted or the cow is very short bred. Nothing is guaranteed of course so they recommend a second test if things are not real clear.
Some folks report positive testing cows showing up open down the road as the test being inaccurate but never consider that the cow may abort at anytime after the test is done, same as with palpation.
I have been very pleased with service and the results.

What is the down side to this? Looks like similar pricing and near instant results?
Not sure what you want to know about the Alertys test....
You should know how to do a tail bleed or be willing to learn.
Test kit only contains the test device and solution. Supply your own lavender top test tube, vacutainer and needle. Test runtime can be up to 50 minutes. Any change in results after 1 hour are invalid.
You need to be able to read and interpret the results correctly.
The results are not instantaneous. The test takes time to run so I would not keep a cow headlocked.
I am guessing the cost is $10 per head for the test kit and supplies...

Be aware of the timing for Biopyrn. Test a month or more after breeding or after the bulls are pulled from the pasture. And 3 months or more after their previous calf was born. The test looks for a specific protein that is produced by the placenta. If the cow has recently aborted, that protein can still be present in the blood and can result in a false positive. The test is supposed to be 97% accurate overall and 99% accurate in detecting open cows (1% testing false open). Not 100% accurate, but neither is palpation. Aggressive palpation "might" result in an abortion, which should not occur with the blood test.
Compare the convenience between palpation and blood test. If using a vet or other palpation person for preg testing, their schedule has to coordinated with your schedule. Biopyrn testing is pretty much your schedule. Fairly simple and low cost. Use a new needle for each sample. Use red top tubes for the samples. Get those from your vet or order from the Biopyrn lab.
And cheap too! Highest cost is shipping

Our vet has cut back what he sees. He's really good at palpating, but with fuel double over the past year and they limit what comes in... seems like a good idea to try..

I really like it because it's not near as invasive and does not stirr the cattle up. It's clean and neat and you can fly through them if you get the right system.

You can do it by yourself but we find it faster to have one person roll the tail and the other person come from the other side and stick her.

Our vet has cut back what he sees. He's really good at palpating, but with fuel double over the past year and they limit what comes in... seems like a good idea to try..
I figured it was something along those lines. I've been using the same guy to preg check for 10 yrs now. He helps the cowboy crew and preg checks. I'm dreading the day he gives it up.

The blood test is over $1.50 less per cow than the vets arm. Adds up pretty quick.
Does your vet charge by the hour or by the head? Hourly work makes for a lot of variability in pricing depending on efficiency. Some of my larger clients are getting preg checks significantly cheaper than the blood test.

Does your vet charge by the hour or by the head? Hourly work makes for a lot of variability in pricing depending on efficiency. Some of my larger clients are getting preg checks significantly cheaper than the blood test.
The new vet that I have started working with is by the hr. He pregs my fall cows, and extremely inexpensive. The old vet was starting to have shoulder issues. He was $7.50/ a cow to arm. $5.50 including shipping for blood test if I drew the blood. That turned into a teaching opportunity. We now have the college students come out and learn hands on how to pull blood from a cow.

I have used BioPryn twice now. And I have a very small herd. First time was just 1 cow I AI'd and then recently I sent in tests for 3 head. It's very inexpensive and I am able to fit all test tubes in a small flat rate priority box. My AI guy comes and takes the blood from the tail for me and charges $20. It's reasonable for me. But again I have a small herd of 13 right now. I have always sent in blood well after they have been bred to be sure the results were accurate.

We have used the test for several years now. If you wait until 45 days after you pull your bull, the results are very accurate. The ones the come back as rechecks are usually bred but the last to breed. The opens will almost always be open after 45 days away from the bull. I have had a few the showed bred that did not calve, but they were probably bred at the time of the test and had an abortion shortly after.

Latest posts