Preg tested

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Met a guy who sonogram preg test. Nice fella. Had 25, accumulations of all our herds pulled when we wormed and vaccinated. 5 open out of 300 cows. The others were off season due to the bad winters and summer but raised a calf that was just weaned. This was sure easier than hauling them somewhere.

He had a wand insert. We had some cows calve out of season, reasons went back to snowmaggeden with cows losing calves and such. Anyhoot, 19 calved out of season. We just weaned 19 calves. But we also put bulls in these herds to catch any open cows last Nov.. 16 of the off season were bred, 2 are on schedule to calve with our regular season out of the 25 tested, within weeks now. 2 off season calved back with regular season, they werent tested since they had a new calf so the 20 tested preg, were not all from the out of season ones... I know i didnt get it all right, but 5 open for 300, is pretty darn good.

Do you pull your bulls? How long was your breeding season? 5 opens out of 300 in a 90 day breeding season would be outstanding. 5 opens out of 300 in a year round breeding season would be good but too.

sounds like you turned the bulls out then pulled them for a few months and then turned them back in. We've been having bad luck on conception rates for the last several years. We leave the bulls in for 90 days.

Still confused. Yes, 5 open out of 300 is awesome. Just trying to make sense of what you are trying to say. Did you have all 300 ultrasound preg tested (wand insert)? How long were bulls exposed to the 300 head??

Do you pull your bulls? How long was your breeding season? 5 opens out of 300 in a 90 day breeding season would be outstanding. 5 opens out of 300 in a year round breeding season would be good but too.

sounds like you turned the bulls out then pulled them for a few months and then turned them back in. We've been having bad luck on conception rates for the last several years. We leave the bulls in for 90 days.
We put them out in May and bring them in in august. This last fall, there were some open ones with calves. Then we thought, why not put bulls in to clean up the ones who didnt get bred because they calved late and we'll sell this this summer as bred cows. So we put some bulls out, mainly to keep fighting down since our bull pasture was overflowing..They cleaned up a few so we'll have a handful out of sequence ones left, but several did catch up (the ones who just weaned calves out of sequence). Our thought was, the ones out of sequence we'll sell this spring as bred cows because at the time we needed to get rid of some of them due to grass. But, its looking like cows and calves will go up in value in the future, or so it seems, and we've decided to hold on to them a little longer. The 5 open ones though, will go to wednesday sale tomorrow.
The more i type about this, the more confused i get....lol...

Still confused. Yes, 5 open out of 300 is awesome. Just trying to make sense of what you are trying to say. Did you have all 300 ultrasound preg tested (wand insert)? How long were bulls exposed to the 300 head??
The more i type about it i get more confused too....lol.. May to August... but then in Nov we put out a few extra bulls to get the cows out of sequence for a couple months, but that ended up being just a handful of cows that calved late last season... a few actually had a calf before we weaned their new calf... But we just had 25 cows pre tested because all other cows have a calf at their side. When we wormed and vac, we pulled out all the dry cows to get tested.

300 cows total - 275 have calves at their side - 25 have not dropped calves yet
25 without calves at side were pre - of those 25, 5 were not pregnant ?

We put bulls in for 42 days and we get 85-90% bred, We sell the others. We like a
uniform calf crop to sell. 90 days seems awfully long to me. I would think you are possibly
keeping less fertile cows in your herd. We want to get rid of the less fertile ones
and 42 days exposed to a bull helps sort them out.
But different areas are different for sure.
Like Pat Parelli says, "normal changes every 50 miles."

Are you saying that some cows had last years' calves sucking on them when they dropped a newborn??????
9 month old calves.... i really didnt think they'd have time to calf again in season. I was surprised..

We just ran 44 through preg check... from 2 different places... 30 at one and 14 at another... 29 bred from the one place , 27 were 4-5 months and 2 were 70 days... they were a disappointment.. 1 open and she has no teeth....
14 from the other place 12 bred 4-5 , 2 open and both have no teeth either. Very satisfied overall. The 2 short bred went with a spring calving group for the summer, plenty of grass there...may or may not sell later on; the others went out on grass and will get the calves pulled in late August so the cows get 60+ days dry. Very consistent in time bred...
We do all ultrasound now with this vet...
There should have been a few more with the group of 14, but several were getting out and they got moved to another place with better fences, so will check them with that group in a week or 2 and then take more out to grass for a few months.

Latest posts