Sale yard Preg check results

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a friend who was a herdsman for a very large dairy. While they were selling feeder calves we would go into the kill cow pen. Any likely looking cows we would get stuck into the corner and he would bump them. If they bumped a calf we would write down her back tag number. Of course we didn't share the information. We got some nice bred cows for one bid over kill price. A few times someone would see one of us bid and run us up. When they did that we would bid on one that didn't bump before the kill buyers were done. That guy would jump in and we would leave it on him.

So do they preg check all cows there even the ones that are designated as pound cows at unloading? Here they only check head cows and if they are open they get put in the pound cow pens. If you say sell as a pound cow when unloading they don't preg check.
Right. Only Preg the bred cows. Mrkt cows just get sold. I know a kill buyer who has made a lot of money buying kill cows, having them pregged then reselling the breds at a breeding sale.
The last I knew he was at a sale 6 days a week.