Preg checking

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
I want a squeeze chute. I have a headgate. Can I justify purchasing a new $5k chute (used ones in my area are like trying to find a live dinosaur) just to make preg checking easier, safer, more convenient? Or should I just use what I have? My thoughts are that it will be money well spent. However, bc I want one, I want to make sure I'm not just trying to justify my wants. So I guess my question is... For those that have one.... Is it better or just easier?

I will say both. Its easier on the cows and you and better to work cattle in better facilities versus fighting them or the chute. I have been down that path and after the vet said he wouldn't preg again until I had a cage (for his safety) I added one. Then after working some bulls, I decided the chute wasn't heavy duty enough and some day I was going to get myself or some else hurt, so I bit the bullet and dropped $$$ for a new chute and preg-cage built all in one. I wished I had done it years ago and those that help me work cattle are glad I did. In my book money isn't wasted if it's keeping you and the cattle safer. JMO

A good chute that matches your needs is like getting an fel for your tractor....

HOW DID I LIVE WITHOUT IT FOR ALL THESE YEARS
Again this is my experience imho

JMJ Farms, used one's are available just keep looking. If your not in a big hurry I can help you find one used. Between Craigslist, Rebel and Weeks auction it shouldn't be a big deal finding something that will work.

For years I just used a couple gates between rail road ties with a headgate at the end. I now have two chutes. I certainly prefer them, but can't say the old gate idea ever stopped me from doing anything I really wanted to either.

ram":35mvrv7m said:
JMJ Farms, used one's are available just keep looking. If your not in a big hurry I can help you find one used. Between Craigslist, Rebel and Weeks auction it shouldn't be a big deal finding something that will work.

Ram, I appreciate the offer if you run across one please let me know. Thanks

JMJ Farms":1d0nexk1 said:
I want a squeeze chute. I have a headgate. Can I justify purchasing a new $5k chute (used ones in my area are like trying to find a live dinosaur) just to make preg checking easier, safer, more convenient? Or should I just use what I have? My thoughts are that it will be money well spent. However, bc I want one, I want to make sure I'm not just trying to justify my wants. So I guess my question is... For those that have one.... Is it better or just easier?
JMJ I've preg checked thousands of cattle over the years and have a head gate but I seldom use it and can't think of any reason to have a squeeze chute. I simply push the cattle up the alley to the headgate, put a post behind them and preg check or the wife AI's them. Never even catch the head.

TexasBred":3uxiyxhm said:
JMJ I've preg checked thousands of cattle over the years and have a head gate but I seldom use it and can't think of any reason to have a squeeze chute. I simply push the cattle up the alley to the headgate, put a post behind them and preg check or the wife AI's them. Never even catch the head.

TB, I've seen that done several times also. Believe this or not, I seen a Mexican dairy worker check a cow he was buying from me that wasn't even in a chute. She was in a tight pen with a couple more cows. All were calm. And he walked right up behind her and bam. I don't think she even noticed. Guess a squeeze is a safer more convenient alternative to the Mexican method but not necessarily a necessity. Anybody ever cut bull calves in a chute?

you would be better off buying a new squeeze chute.but as TB said ive know people that never used a chute to AI or palpate cows.they just got up on the ledge in the milk barn reached over and done it.

JMJ Farms":15mrb2ht said:
TB, I've seen that done several times also. Believe this or not, I seen a Mexican dairy worker check a cow he was buying from me that wasn't even in a chute. She was in a tight pen with a couple more cows. All were calm. And he walked right up behind her and bam. I don't think she even noticed. Guess a squeeze is a safer more convenient alternative to the Mexican method but not necessarily a necessity. Anybody ever cut bull calves in a chute?
I've cut calves just catching the head only with the headgate but had to have someone to bend the tail over their back while I did it. Parlor was for milking only so never did anything to the cattle there other than milk them but we could cut them to a small area with an alley for anything else.

We used just a head gate for years and had finally bit the bullet and purchased a new system with a palpation cage alley and half sweep tub. However we had not had time to get it installed when we were breeding a group of cows using the old head gate. The reason we had finally decided to purchase the new is the old head gate would hang up and you would have to reach in and pull it to get it to open. The boss had made the statement that someone was going to get hurt using it. He was right, it hung up he reached in to pull it about the time the cow slung her head it caught his thumb and took it right off at the joint. Having the right equipment can sure save you not only in $$ but in pain and suffering. Now the boss can only give you a half thumbs up!

gizmom

Corral components are the best asset to purchase of any in a farm operation - depreciation is nearly always zero. In an auction setting, more often than not, they sell for more than initial purchase value.

JMJ Farms":v7ku8xp9 said:
ram":v7ku8xp9 said:

Ram, I appreciate the offer if you run across one please let me know. Thanks

Could also Wait for spring farm auctions because theres going to be a ton available if prices are still down or those 5k dollar heifer buyers that jumped into business this year fold

JMJ Farms":2kepmbsg said:
TexasBred":2kepmbsg said:

We have one cow that is a PITA to get up the alley. When we did the CIDR sync stuff we just gave her the shots and put the CIDR in and took it out while she was standing around. Only time we put her in the chute was to AI her and to preg her. Routine vaccination and worming she gets while standing around the catchpen.

We have one cow that is a PITA to get up the alley. When we did the CIDR sync stuff we just gave her the shots and put the CIDR in and took it out while she was standing around. Only time we put her in the chute was to AI her and to preg her. Routine vaccination and worming she gets while standing around the catchpen.

We have a couple cows like that. They are ones the kids have shown (big babies). They WILL NOT go in the alley to the chute. They too get their shots just standing around, I even AI them that way.
Its hard to beat a good chute system though for everyone's safety!!
Jenna

I have done all kinds of doctoring with them hung on the end of a rope. I could still do that if pressed to it but a good chute and working system sure makes life a lot easier and safer on both me and the cattle.

JMJ Farms":1t4t60rq said:
Stocker Steve":1t4t60rq said:
How many unknown open cows will it take to save $5,000 ?

This is what I keep telling myself Steve.

I had one that fooled me several years ago. I don't think she cycled at all. Sold her fat ass in the spring market.
If you have hundreds of cows hidden in the breaks - - then preg checking is certainly needed.
If you have sub fertile genetics - - then preg checking is needed.
Otherwise, the steer or bull calves will check for free.

Stocker Steve":2o6ds2tg said:
JMJ Farms":2o6ds2tg said:
Stocker Steve":2o6ds2tg said:
How many unknown open cows will it take to save $5,000 ?

This is what I keep telling myself Steve.

I had one that fooled me several years ago. I don't think she cycled at all. Sold her fat be nice in the spring market.
If you have hundreds of cows hidden in the breaks - - then preg checking is certainly needed.
If you have sub fertile genetics - - then preg checking is needed.
Otherwise, the steer or bull calves will check for free.

I have to preg-check everything as I have had a number of cows, and heifers over the years that would convince you they are open, but they are bred. Had one cow a couple years ago, cycled every 3 weeks through the winter, calves rode her and she stood, thought for sure she is open. Brought vet in for preg-check and she was one of the earliest bred in the group. Chock it up to hormones.

Latest posts